View Diary: The War on Drugs Celebrates its 50th Birthday Today (102 comments)

•  I do not want the government or police force (0+ / 0-)

micro-managing my neuro-chemical states.

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

by HoundDog on Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 11:32:06 AM PDT

•  Libertarians and Teabaggers even, should (1+ / 0-)

agree with us on this.

Now let's work on the Democratic leadership.

I expected President Obama to pardon the some 1 million folks incarcerated for drug offenses.

That's almost half our prision populations.

Imagine the savings.

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

by HoundDog on Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 11:33:49 AM PDT

•  Bush pardoned more ppl for drugs than Obama has (1+ / 0-)
        HoundDog

in just the last couple of months of Bushie's term.

One of the guys that Bush pardoned is named John Forte, the former member of the Fugees who got pardoned by Bush for cocaine sentence.

Obama has issued a record-low number of pardons.

witness the GOPranos...rethugs....Paul Wolfowitz: "If they fuck with me or Shaha, I have enough on them to fuck them too."

by change the Be on Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 12:16:13 PM PDT

•  To echo some of the people here yesterday (2+ / 0-)
        HoundDog, change the Be

I do not recognize the country I grew up in.

It's  not as if I ever wore rose-colored glasses. Take the blinders off today though, and it's really ugly out there.  The percentage of people imprisoned, or on parole or probation is mind-boggling. The fact that a job application requires a urine sample is beyond the pale.

An imbalance between rich and poor is the oldest and most fatal ailment of all republics - Plutarch

by Anthony Page aka SecondComing on Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 12:21:16 PM PDT

•  Hey. And the retort that it is "optional to (2+ / 0-)

get a job."  NOT!

Hey in the old days, if society got this bad, one could move out west and live off the land.  Or go to Australia.

Now, what are we supposed to do?

You can't even pitch a tent in a national forreset without a permit.   And that's often expensive and only for a couple of days.

What happens once you are homeless.

Homeless shelter will not take you if you drink alcohol, and the one's I went to, had the option of drug testing and kicking you out if you were positive.

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

by HoundDog on Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 12:36:45 PM PDT

•  It's easier and more efficient (2+ / 0-)
            HoundDog, change the Be

..to simply incarcerate you.

Luckily(?) I'm in California, and at least the marijuana laws aren't full on Reefer-Madness bad. But even here - If you can't afford to get a prescription, you're subject to the judicial system in all its crazy "wisdom" for possession of the wrong kind of flower.

The budget cuts here are going to be brutal though. $27 Billion in the hole.

I'm little more than a stone's throw from living on the street at any given moment these days. What am I supposed to do?

I think I'm supposed to just die or go to jail. Let the market sort things out. There are winners and losers. Real unemployment here is sky high and doesn't seem to be improving much. Business opportunities are just as bad.

by Anthony Page aka SecondComing on Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 01:26:24 PM PDT

•  I was born in California and always thought it (1+ / 0-)
              change the Be

was the smartest, hippest, and most happening state.

But, then my father moved us east to mid-Pennsylvania, (Alabama stuck betwen two modern Democratic cities, Pittsburg, and Phili., and I lost touch and became stodgy.

But, I'm thinking of moving back so I can get a prescription for your herbal medical supplements.

Isn't California's state flower, the Golden Poppy?   That doesn't have psychoactive properties does it?

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

by HoundDog on Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 02:21:09 PM PDT

•  hunter s thompson (0+ / 0-)

"some get rich and others just eat shit and die"
              -he spoke the truth in such a language that anyone could understand it.

by change the Be on Sat Mar 19, 2011 at 04:00:57 PM PDT