View Diary: Public employee jumps to death after mass layoff (194 comments)

•  Big Hugs/Best Wishes (14+ / 0-)

Horace, I am so sorry that you are going through this.  I completely understand your fear and pain as I may be facing it myself soon as I have severe depressive disorder that is getting worse despite treatment.  I thought it was going to happen last October when I was hospitalized but I pulled through this time.  I can't imagine how hard it will be to try to get disability for a mental health issue in this country at this time.  Please know that you are not alone and that angels can appear when we least expect them.  You are in my thoughts.

•  I will (11+ / 0-)

send you all a copy of my diary for a flash mob to address the injustice of the ss system and how hard it is for those that are truly ill to access this "safety net"

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.

by Horace Boothroyd III on Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 02:51:13 PM PDT

•  Been there, done that, while on dialysis (11+ / 0-)

which is supposed to be an "automatic qualification" - hah.

You have my empathy for what you are going through. It can get unbelievably hard sometimes. Been there, as I said...let me know what I can do to help you through.

Organ donors save multiple lives! A donor's kidney gave me my life back on 02/18/11; he lives on in me and in others. Please talk with your family about your wish to donate and sign up to give others the gift of life.

by Kitsap River on Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 03:24:25 PM PDT

•  Hey, stranger! (8+ / 0-)

Happy one-month anniversary of the transplant!  How's it, um, "going"?  ;7)

Unplug the Koch machine! It's swallowing people's money!

by Seneca Doane on Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 03:29:29 PM PDT

•  It IS going :-), that's all well and good (7+ / 0-)

and my creatinine is down far enough now that I can start to retake metformin for my diabetes, which I've been off almost 4 years, but now we have a fellow Kossack hurting and I'm here to lend what support I can from a position of having been through it.

by Kitsap River on Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 06:43:10 PM PDT

•  LOL (6+ / 0-)

I was hoping to see some liquidity so that if you were in need of any financial support I could at least chip in.

And Tricias move in.

And the disaster in Japan.

You get the point.

I not only feel helpless about myself it is seeing the trials an tribulations of others and not being able to help alleviate it. To me that is significantly worse.

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.

by Horace Boothroyd III on Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 05:36:40 PM PDT

•  Horace, please hear me out (12+ / 0-)

Let me just say up front that I am a psychologist. I hear what your going through loud and clear. If you need to talk to someone we can set up a skype connection and talk when you can get to the coffee shop.

I don't know what the situation is with your phone, but if it's a pay as you go deal, I will pay to add minutes.  I've done it for other people here. Ask Triciawyse about this. When she was walking the streets trying to find a job last summer in the August heat with her epilepsy, I insisted she let me add minutes to her phone because of the danger that she could be alone and have a seizure.

What is happening to you is just as important to me as what was happening to triciawise. Ya' hear? Please let me help you add minutes to your phone. If you're on a contract, I will send you money to pay for extra minutes. But you have got to let us help and that is as simple as saying yes.

What I have seen in the comments so far is that you're getting to a place of desperation where you feel no solution will work. There is always a way to work around the issues you've presented. You've got to realize that right now.

I know you're in physical pain with your back and I know that pain well. I had horrific back pain for nearly 10 years before I was considered bad enough to need surgery and thankfully that surgery was a miracle for me. Having constant and terrible pain can really add to your despair and I know this because I felt hopeless myself over it and dependent on everyone for the simplest things.

We can help you get past these issues but the first thing you have to do is to stop blocking us from helping.  I know it is hard to accept help from people but no man or woman is an island and we all have to let others help us from time to time. We've all felt helpless at times and had to accept help when we thought there were others who deserved it more than we did. So please understand, this is not charity but paying it forward.

My father-in-law went through this same issue with trying to get SSDI. It took him quite a bit of time, 8 years if I recall correctly, but he got it and he got back payments for those 8 years. Do not give up.  If you do, the fuckers will have won.

You need to get an attorney to help you fight this. They know the language and procedures to get this settled quickly. If you do not have an attorney, in every state there are pro bono attorneys who can help you deal with this. Our own diarist is an attorney who may be able to help you find someone to talk to in your state.

But you must not give up and you must let us help you. Please have the courage to let us help you through this. I will keep checking my email for the next 4-5 hours. Please contact me at
             ferallike at gmail dot com.

Melissa

Smart people know what they don't know -8.50, -6.92

by ferallike on Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 06:22:20 PM PDT

•  Horace, I'm in good shape (5+ / 0-)

especially since the transplant, one month ago today. Now let me help you if I can. I don't have liquidity, but I do have a shoulder, an ear, and some experience with the system.

by Kitsap River on Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 06:32:11 PM PDT

•  I would like that! (2+ / 0-)

Thank you!