View Diary: What do I MAKE? I'm a teacher and I make a goddamn difference. Now what about you??? (292 comments)

•  of course... (14+ / 0-)

You're a doctor?
    Thank a teacher.

You're a lawyer?
    Thank a teacher.

You're a corporate executive?
    Thank a teacher.

You're a scientist?
    Thank a teacher?

You're in the management field (regardless of where)?
    Thank a teacher.

I could go on. The point is this: Teachers are truly the giants on whose shoulders we stand as a society. If we devalue teaching, we risk our future.

Trying to listen to Fixed Noise is the intellectual equivalent of standing next to a jackhammer without ear protection.

by alliehope on Sat Mar 19, 2011 at 04:59:08 AM PDT

•  funny, though, (3+ / 0-)

that one of the ones you didn't include was:

You're a politician?
      Thank a teacher.

more like:

You're a politician?
      Thank a banker or CEO or lobbyist.

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them." - Joseph Brodsky

by Shakespeares Sister on Sat Mar 19, 2011 at 07:34:11 AM PDT

•  Although I understand (3+ / 0-)

your point, every time we denigrate all politicians and say that they are all corrupt, it makes it harder and harder for us to get good people to run and be elected to office.

Would you run for office if as soon as you decide and announce it, that makes you a politician and therefore corrupt?

Find out what progress is being made by following my group Progress is the Point

by IL JimP on Sat Mar 19, 2011 at 09:43:18 AM PDT

•  interesting, too, (3+ / 0-)
          Eclectablog, IL JimP, talismanlangley

that your argument can also go this way:

your point, every time we denigrate all *teachers and say that they are all *greedy and ineffective, it makes it harder and harder for us to get good people to *apply and be *teachers.

Would you *want to be a teacher if as soon as you *start working, that makes you *ineffective and therefore *the problem in education?

In truth, the reality of the current political system is that it is "pay to play." That's all I see. The people with the money run the game.

by Shakespeares Sister on Sat Mar 19, 2011 at 09:48:22 AM PDT

•  That's exactly (2+ / 0-)
            Eclectablog, Shakespeares Sister

what happens, when people say that about teachers.

If this is what you believe, then what's the point?  Nothing's going to change.

I believe that the majority of politicians truly want to do what's best for their constituents.  They aren't on the take and they aren't corrupt.

We can work to eliminate those that are corrupt or we can say they're all that way so what's the point.  Personally, I don't like to back lost causes.

by IL JimP on Sat Mar 19, 2011 at 10:54:53 AM PDT

•  fair enough. (2+ / 0-)
              IL JimP, Eclectablog

I do want things to change. Hoping to make that happen by voicing concerns here and on other sites.

I hope that politicians truly want what is best for the people who vote for them - but so many of them seem out of touch with the reality any more (i.e. the push for a testing system that doesn't work, etc).

Please understand that my disillusionment comes from the fact that I see them trying to do things that don't work.

Also, just because they run the game doesn't mean that the little people can't do their part to break into the game and change it.

by Shakespeares Sister on Sat Mar 19, 2011 at 11:26:25 AM PDT

•  That's what I figured, (2+ / 0-)
                Shakespeares Sister, Eclectablog

I just want to make sure we don't drive people away, who might actually be able to change the system.  I'm on a big kick on trying to find a way for middle class people to be able to run for office.  In the current environment, it's almost impossible.

by IL JimP on Sat Mar 19, 2011 at 12:10:45 PM PDT

• Freddie Gray (20)
  • Education (20)
  • Media (19)
  • Hillary Clinton (18)
  • Racism (18)
  • Politics (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site