View Diary: Canadian Kossacks: A Group You Might Be Interested In (19 comments)

•  I would love to join, thank you. (3+ / 0-)
    Chacounne, DawnN, dotsright

I am not Canadian... but I have a little bit of dirt on Cape Breton, NS, to which I hope to retire one day...

Can that get me qualified as an honorary Canadian for now?

(And I like poutine, butter tarts, and Alexander Keith's)

(-7.62/-7.90) .....It was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep... Gimli in Moria, JRR Tolkien

by Lorinda Pike on Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 03:55:07 PM PDT

•  You are most welcome :) (1+ / 0-)
      Lorinda Pike

Like butter tarts is, in my book, a HUGE plus :)  Of course then there are Nainimo Bars, but I digress.

I've tried inviting you a few times in the last few minutes and the search function which would allow me to put your name into the invitation program is broken :( SIGH ! I will keep trying. If you go to my page and look through where my groups are listed you can click on the name "Canadian Kossacks" which will take you to the home page for the group. If you send a message to the group, that may allow me to send the invite. SIGH ! Sorry for all the trouble :(

Hugs,
                              Heather

Torture is ALWAYS wrong, no matter who is doing it to whom.

by Chacounne on Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 04:00:15 PM PDT

•  I like them (naimino) with the green filling... (1+ / 0-)
        Chacounne

but some folks make it white. Is that weird?

I'll try to navigate through and get a message sent. I've never sent a message. This should be fun... :-)

by Lorinda Pike on Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 04:04:25 PM PDT

•  How do you retire to Canada? (1+ / 0-)
      Lorinda Pike

I didn't know you could just buy land in Canada and retire there--don't you have to be a citizen to stay for any length of time?  We're (my wife and I) are planning to retire as close to Canada as we can get.  Hence our "bit of dirt" 2 kilometers below the border.

America needs a UNION NEWS channel. We (unions) have the money, we have the talent. Don't buy 30 second time slots on corporate media, union leaders; fund your own cable news channel and tell the real story 24/7/365

by monkeybrainpolitics on Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 04:01:46 PM PDT

•  Well, I was able to purchase property (0+ / 0-)

several years ago. I would not be able to actually stay for longer than six months at a time (I think) without permanent resident status, which is what I found when I talked with folks at Immigration in Nova Scotia. There are several streams to follow if you want to stay permanently - sponsorship, community ties, family members who are citizens, etc. But I am very close to the magic age (older...) where it does become more difficult.

My fall-back option is as you said, get close, and then be able to vacation on Cape Breton!

by Lorinda Pike on Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 04:17:15 PM PDT

•  Yes, this is the same info I found too (1+ / 0-)
          Lorinda Pike

I was hoping I'd missed something!  My wife and I are at the magic age already I'm afraid.  But we'll be close enough to bike over the border if we want to.  Can't wait to see some of the great parks and events in Vancouver.  It's a superb city--my favorite in many ways.  (Montreal is also up there.)

by monkeybrainpolitics on Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 06:09:47 PM PDT

•  We're going to be closer to the Maritimes (1+ / 0-)
            monkeybrainpolitics

but still in the US - and soon, I hope. Hubby wants Maine, I want Vermont. (It's closer to Centre Bell - alle Montreal Canadiens!)

by Lorinda Pike on Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 06:16:45 PM PDT

•  Vermont may also get single payer (0+ / 0-)

healthcare soon.  Their House just voted for it.  Maine has a teabagger gov and Republican Snowe for Senator (Vermont has the best Senator in the Senate in Sanders).  I'm with your choice!

by monkeybrainpolitics on Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 07:49:49 PM PDT

• Recommended (141)
  • Community (70)
  • Elections (26)
  • Civil Rights (26)
  • Environment (26)
  • Media (25)
  • Culture (25)
  • Law (24)
  • Science (23)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (22)
  • Memorial Day (21)
  • Labor (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Economy (19)
  • Republicans (17)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Education (17)
  • Marriage Equality (17)
  • Climate Change (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site