View Diary: Investigation shows questionable test results under Michelle Rhee (290 comments)

•  What a mature response. (0+ / 0-)

Kind of keeping with your whole  "it's everybody else's fault but mine" meme.

I can just about forgive the Brits for starting our revolutionary war and burning DC to the ground during the war of 1812 for giving us Led Zeppelin.

by Pager on Mon Mar 28, 2011 at 12:35:58 PM PDT

•  That's strange (1+ / 0-)
      caul

Who was assigning blame?  And where were they assigning it?

Republicans: Taking the country back ... to the 19th century

by yet another liberal on Mon Mar 28, 2011 at 01:19:09 PM PDT

•  Did you bother to read the diary? (1+ / 0-)
        princss6

The blame being assigned is pretty much sole on Rhee. And you've agreed that this is the ONLY way we should be reading this and that anyone who suggests otherwise is spewing right wing talking points. You know, the usual meme when you want to shut someone up that you don't agree with.

by Pager on Mon Mar 28, 2011 at 01:30:30 PM PDT

•  fwiw (4+ / 0-)
          Ruthtopia, Pager, Shuruq, caul

I think the attacks on teachers and administrators via these standardized tests are exactly that.  Attacks on teachers and the public schools.  The entire system of firing teachers and administrators based on these tests is bogus and is fundamentally a disingenuous political attack on teachers, public schools, unions, democrats etc...

Otherwise, sorry for arguing with you.  I sincerely believe distracting people from the real issue (standardized testing used to intimidate teachers) is the game.

Republicans: Taking the country back ... to the 19th century

by yet another liberal on Mon Mar 28, 2011 at 01:41:38 PM PDT

•  Yet... (0+ / 0-)

when some around here want to argue how good and true teachers' unions are, they use....wait for it....TEST SCORES!!!

Can't have it both ways!

I for one am tired of pandering to perpetrators --- many of whom are opposed to any discussion however it comes. -- soothsayer99 DPK Caucus

by princss6 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 at 01:57:02 PM PDT

•  And people who are doing that (1+ / 0-)
              caul

Are giving the GOP an assist.

Republicans: Taking the country back ... to the 19th century

by yet another liberal on Mon Mar 28, 2011 at 02:08:31 PM PDT

•  Well.. (1+ / 0-)
                Pager

go talk to Teacherken because he does!  And you see around here, the teacherken school of education policy is the only show.  Trying to be a dissenting voice, lol!

by princss6 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 at 02:10:24 PM PDT

•  Oh, poor you (3+ / 0-)
                  caul, tardis10, moira977

Just go ahead and make the argument that standardized testing is a good measure of the quality of a teacher.

Also, come on, let's hear it ... teachers should be fired because their students failed the standardized tests.

Come on, don't play the persecuted dissenter.  You have the facts on your side, right?

Republicans: Taking the country back ... to the 19th century

by yet another liberal on Mon Mar 28, 2011 at 02:18:19 PM PDT

•  lol (0+ / 0-)

qed...just like I said, dissent against the teacherken hegemony that you just called playing into the republicans hands, lol and watch the snide condescension fly.

Hint:  I'm not as fragile as some of you around here.  Nice deflection...lol...should I hold my breath for you to go and tell teacherken about how he aiding the republicans, lol.

Funny how the story changes once you've learned that...tk said it, lol.

rank hypocrisy on full blast.

by princss6 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 at 02:23:07 PM PDT

•  No apology necessary. Deepest thanks for it (3+ / 0-)

but not necessary.

I rarely wade into these diaries because I have mixed opinions on what needs to happen with the future of education. And when I do, I usually wish I had kept my mouth shut. Like I mentioned down thread (waaaaaay downthread so don't feel bad if you didn't read it), I am a proponent of standardized testing but not as the sole method of judging a teacher's success or failure.

And here's why--so let's say a really crappy teacher with tenure takes a classroom full of kids that are testing well and after being in her class for a year, they fall behind. And the next year, they end up in Ms. Pager's class, who is an awesome, invested teacher that doesn't have tenure. And when they are behind in her class and she struggles to bring them up to speed all year, who do you think will get the blame and probably the boot? From what I've seen in my own school district, Ms. Page will be on the unemployment line and Ms. Crappy Teacher will be protected in her job for life, churning out students, year after year, that haven't learned at the rate they need to in order to move forward a grade. And that's not fair. And that's how standardized testing can often screw a teacher over and the wrong teacher, at that.

And last but not least,  I appreciate your reply here because it reminds me that we're all concerned about the future of our kids and our teachers. We may just have different ideas on how to make it better, that's all.  So, thank you for the conversation. Much appreciated.

by Pager on Mon Mar 28, 2011 at 02:24:48 PM PDT