View Diary: A Witch Hunt .......... a REAL Witch Hunt (265 comments)

•  Asatru is the pagan religion (2+ / 0-)
    Alexandra Lynch, Shadowmage36

that is based on the Norse pantheon and the religious practices of the Vikings. I have many friends who practice this particular religion. It's a little too "warrior centric" for my taste, but I do like the ideas of family and honor that they espouse.

"Truth never damages a cause that is just."~~~Mohandas K. Gandhi -9.38/-6.26

by LynneK on Mon Mar 28, 2011 at 06:57:23 PM PDT

•  A lot of Asatru are white supremacists. (1+ / 0-)
      kestrel9000

Those ideas of "family" and "honor" are often code words.

Child abuse casts a shadow the length of a lifetime. --Herbert Ward

by Ana Thema on Tue Mar 29, 2011 at 02:52:39 AM PDT

•  I tend to avoid those sorts like the plague. (0+ / 0-)

They're known as "folkish" types amongst the Asatru community, and I personally find them to be repulsive and not a little bit presumptuous.

After all, who are we to tell the gods whom they should or should not call to their banners?

Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything. -Harry S. Truman / -8.00, -6.77

by Shadowmage36 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 at 07:06:59 AM PDT

•  Draws racists (1+ / 0-)
      Ana Thema

like flies to a honey pot.  Here there be skinhead pagans.

People call me rude. I wish we all were nude. I wish there was no black and white. I wish there were no rules.

by kestrel9000 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 at 03:16:34 AM PDT

•  There are some, granted, (2+ / 0-)
        kestrel9000, Shadowmage36

but not all Asatruar are racists. In fact, I have yet to meet a skinhead Asatruar in my area (which, since I live in Alabama, is strange, but true.)

"Truth never damages a cause that is just."~~~Mohandas K. Gandhi -9.38/-6.26

by LynneK on Tue Mar 29, 2011 at 04:49:43 AM PDT

•  Unfortunately for me... (0+ / 0-)

...where I live is only about a half hour to forty five minutes away from Rising Sun, MD, the home of the KKK.  Suffice it to say, there's a reason that I'm a solitary practitioner in this area!

by Shadowmage36 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 at 07:08:18 AM PDT

•  Valhalla isn't a bad place to spend eternity... (1+ / 0-)
      LynneK

...but I'd much rather live out the time until Ragnarok in Aegir's halls:  The beer is better there. XD

(Asatru fun fact: Aegir is the god of the sea, of hospitality, and of brewing.  On a more personal note, I am an INCREDIBLY avid home-brewer and home-vintner, so it is to him that I offer up most of my prayers.)

by Shadowmage36 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 at 07:11:28 AM PDT