View Diary: The Rachel Maddow Show - Mar. 30, 2011 (53 comments)

•  What Are Your Memories (6+ / 0-)

of the day President Reagan was shot?

Ich bin ein Cheese Head!

by CityLightsLover on Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 07:30:37 PM PDT

•  I was basically an infant (4+ / 0-)
      CityLightsLover, AnnaMolly, nicolemm, caul

But it's crazy how Taxi Driver and Jodie Foster inspired Hinkley to do it looking back.

Pro Life??? Conservatives want live babies so they can raise them to be dead soldiers!- George Carlin

by priceman on Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 07:36:03 PM PDT

•  Alexander Haig (6+ / 0-)

"I'm in control here."

The way to combat noxious ideas is with other ideas. The way to combat falsehoods is with truth. - William O. Douglas

by PSzymeczek on Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 07:37:02 PM PDT

•  I was in 5th grade, and we were... (4+ / 0-)

sent home early from school.  I really didn't understand the significance of the event.  There was so much more to the events that led up to the shooting... Hinckley targeted Pres. Carter during the transition, he nearly shot still president-elect Reagan outside his church the morning of the inauguration, and more.  And I heard there is consideration to fully release that lunatic... No freakin' Way!

"The United States will not be able to dictate the pace and scope of this change. Only the people of the region can do that. But we can make a difference." 3/28/11

by BarackStarObama on Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 07:41:05 PM PDT

•  Sure not as kind as yours, that's for sure! (6+ / 0-)

No "get well" card from me. I knew long before 1980 that Reagan was an absolute SCUM. And so election night was one of the shocks of my life... the fact that people actually VOTED for something like him?... well.  It actually helped get me a lot more politically radical than I had been up to that point. It's the night I became a real Lefty, I think. And no, by a few months later, by the day he was shot, my attitude toward the man hadn't changed at all. I can't remember my exact reaction to the news. I know I didn't jump for joy or anything. But I also know I didn't think, "Oh, the poor man!" Not remotely.

One thing I DO remember though, happened about 3 months later. The day I heard the news that Harry Chapin had been killed. All I could think of was, "Oh of COURSE! A great, caring, compassionate guy like Harry is killed... killed while driving his beatup little car on the way to another of his hundreds of FREE CHARITY concerts... while just a few weeks ago, one of the most evil people on earth LIVES despite being 70 years old and getting shot in the chest!"

Well... you asked.

"Any dictator would admire the uniformity and obedience of the U.S. media." -- Noam Chomsky

by ratmach on Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 07:48:37 PM PDT

•  Just so there's no confusion, I should add: (5+ / 0-)

By the way, this has NOTHING to do when when Reagan eventually died. By that time, I DID feel some compassion for the guy. But then of course, by that time he was no longer "former president Ronald Reagan". No... by the last few years of his life, he was just some poor old confused guy who probably remembered almost nothing of the things he had done in his life, let alone the evil things. He, and yes his family, were then suffering like any of millions of other people do each year when they're going through final stages of Alzheimers. So yeah, by that time, I really felt sorry for the guy. (and I almost cried when I saw Nancy's reaction at the funeral)

by ratmach on Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 08:16:02 PM PDT

•  I was so upset the night Reagan was elected (5+ / 0-)

I wore black the next day in mourning for my country.

I was a college sophomore, voting in my first election, and boy, was I missing the radical campuses of the 60s. (Many others were not happy either but, sigh, no sit-ins or campus takeovers. The outnumbered campus conservatives just got more cocky and obnoxious.)

•  Yeah, and just a few years earlier... (3+ / 0-)

... Reagan had publicly declared that it might take killing a bunch of anti-war "agitators" to fix things in this country. And THAT is the man over half the adults in this country wanted to be our president. Just sick.

by ratmach on Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 09:15:33 PM PDT

•  I feel ya, Belle Ame -- I was a vet voting in my (4+ / 0-)

first Presidential election, and my guy got hammered.

I knew it -- the announcement was official over the radio while I was riding to the polls with the parents -- but I defiantly cast my vote anyhow.

Might be one of the reasons I'm the leftist I am today. I'm still pissed off at a "voting public" that could buy the Reagan BS.

Never mind the Bush BS. That was just BS sauce.

LBJ & Lady Bird, Sully Sullenberger, Molly Ivins, Barbara Jordan, Ann Richards, Drew Brees: Texas is No Bush League! -7.50,-5.59

by BlackSheep1 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 10:21:16 PM PDT

•  I remember SNL did a whole riff on the (5+ / 0-)

coverage of it.  It took the whole show too.

It was the "Buckwheat was shot" bit

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --M. L. King "You can't fix stupid" --Ron White

by zenbassoon on Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 08:20:42 PM PDT

•  LOL! (1+ / 0-)
        CityLightsLover

The shooting of John David Stuts is brought to you by Mutual Life Insurance. Because you could die tomorrow . . . just like John David Stuts.

Stut's neighbor: "John would pump our gas . . ."

Reporter: "Do you believe he killed Buckwheat?"

Neighbor: "Yes, definitely!"

liberal bias = failure to validate or sufficiently flatter the conservative narrative on any given subject

by RockyMtnLib on Thu Mar 31, 2011 at 12:20:58 AM PDT

•  Being annoyed by the press's obsession (1+ / 0-)
      CityLightsLover

with John Hinckley Jr. having gone to school at Texas Tech.

We had no idea out here in the hinterlands how close that knothead came to putting Bush in the White House.

by BlackSheep1 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 10:17:46 PM PDT