View Diary: Rhee and the Corporate Takeover of Public Education (167 comments)

•  You have a very narrow view (3+ / 0-)
    El Tomaso, virginwoolf, shaharazade

and experience in the raising of your children.  I know some who did the same as you and things did not work out well.  I know some that seemingly did everything backward and wrong and their kids turned out great.  Nice thing about America, although maybe not for long, is that we have choices and everyone gets to figure out what is best for their families.  One size does not fit all.

And she's good at appearing sane, I just want you to know. Winwood/Capaldi

by tobendaro on Sat Apr 02, 2011 at 05:59:19 PM PDT

•  I agree with you.... (1+ / 0-)
      Renee

I did not mean to suggest that my family's experience should be every family's experience.

Apples do not fall far from the tree.  If we love our children, be positive role models for our children and help our children to learn, then all should be well.

After all, for progressives, taking one for the team is desirable, but all too often at present, we are taking one from the team.

by El Tomaso on Sat Apr 02, 2011 at 06:11:01 PM PDT

•  I am saying that is a very simplistic view (1+ / 0-)
        El Tomaso

of raising children.  Many of us have excellent loving families and kids don't turn out so well.  This is so prevalent among my friends that we often marvel at it and wonder how the apple became a pear.   In my opinion you need to be excellent at parenting each individual child and be lucky.  I sent my kids to a private, parochial school because our circumstances were such that it was the best choice and I was able to provide that extra.  They got an excellent education and I was able to be involved more than I would have been at the local public school.  Of my 4 boys one was well below in intellectual ability one was above and extremely motivated, one was brilliant but had emotional and mental problems and one was unmotivated while able.  Add that one was a stepson with a very bad parent and three with a deceased father and you have a stew of very problematic learning situations.   There was no simple "be a good and loving parent" and all will be well.  It took very hard work and there has been much disappointment even though I stayed home, hired tutors, did extra work by the boat load, travelled frequently with my kids including educational trips to Europe and many other extras.

And she's good at appearing sane, I just want you to know. Winwood/Capaldi

by tobendaro on Sun Apr 03, 2011 at 07:12:11 AM PDT

•  I think that the perspective of homeschooling (1+ / 0-)
          El Tomaso

parent is so different than the current norm that it's hard to communicate across the gap.

I'm a homeschooler, and when I read El Tomaso, I am reading from my perspective. One of the things I love about homeschooling is the ability we have to drastically change circumstances our kids are experiencing. Now that might be a good thing or a bad thing I guess. There are times when being challenged is exactly what a human needs. But there are also times when we need more space to develop than we can get in a school setting, no matter if the school is public or private or if the teachers and support people are giving their best.

I agree with your assessment that we as parents need our own excellence and skill and lots of luck. I have seen homeschooled kids go down paths that look like success and ones that don't look at all like what society deems successful. I just think that it is more prevalent in the homeschooling community than in the schooled community to follow our own path organically.

•  Thank you for your thoughtful post. (1+ / 0-)
            Renee

You stated your philosophy well, and I agree.

by El Tomaso on Sun Apr 03, 2011 at 11:40:13 AM PDT

•  Thanks for saying. (1+ / 0-)
              El Tomaso

There is some hostility towards homeschoolers on this site, and I think it's more a confusion about what we stand for than anything else.

I mean, of course there are homeschoolers that I violently disagree with, but we aren't all overachieving teacher hating over controlling parents.

•  Well said, my friend. (1+ / 0-)
                Renee

Good on ya' and good on every conscientious homeschooler out there.

I admire those who so love their children that they are willing to stand against the public education status quo and protect their precious children.

by El Tomaso on Sun Apr 03, 2011 at 04:42:37 PM PDT

•  The best laid plans.... (0+ / 0-)

I read your post with interest.  After reading it, I am certain of one thing.  You love your children very much and the outcomes that they acheive are better than if they had not had you as a loving parent.

I have been so lucky in so many ways.  My children have thrived.  Their success has been a mixture of planning and luck.

One of the tests that homeschoolers are required to pass is that every homeschooler be exceptional.  That, of course, will never happen.  Our children, like us, are human and will behave and acheive as humans.

One should never measure success upon the yardstick of contemporary societal measures.  Rather, one should measure success upon the yardstick of human evolution.

May God bless you and may God bless your precious children.

by El Tomaso on Sun Apr 03, 2011 at 11:38:36 AM PDT

•  I am not against homeschooling (1+ / 0-)
            El Tomaso

if fact, I think it is an exceptional way for a child to learn.  However, there are parents who are not qualified to do it, there are people who have to work therefore cannot do it, and there are many other circumstances that make it not viable for many families.  My own reasoning was that having three boys without a father,  I felt they would be better off not being with me 24/7.  They needed other authoritiy figures and experiences.  My beef with your original post is the certainty with which you stated your belief that if you do things right all will be well.  It is just not so.

And she's good at appearing sane, I just want you to know. Winwood/Capaldi

by tobendaro on Sun Apr 03, 2011 at 12:25:43 PM PDT

•  Thank you for your thoughtful post. (1+ / 0-)
              tobendaro

You are so right.

I wish positive things for and success for every family.  Life is at times harsh and unfair.

May God bless you and may God particularly bless your children.  You are a good parent.  Thank you.

by El Tomaso on Sun Apr 03, 2011 at 12:36:30 PM PDT