View Diary: What's for Dinner? v.5.37 - Spring has Sprung! (233 comments)

•  This has me on the verge (4+ / 0-)

of crying myself.

Whenever I hear of another person losing an animal friend, it gets me to think back about all those years with my Buddy dog and how much I miss him.

Honesty pays, but it doesn't seem to pay enough to suit some people. Kin Hubbard

by Mr Robert on Sat Apr 09, 2011 at 07:56:31 PM PDT

•  I agree completely. (3+ / 0-)
      JayinPortland, Mr Robert, TigerMom

Now you know why I will not have one for myself.

Warmest regards,

Doc

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me over and over, then either I really love you blindly or I am a Republican.

by Translator on Sat Apr 09, 2011 at 08:00:50 PM PDT

•  Well doc (2+ / 0-)
        Translator, TigerMom

if it wasn't for the fact that after I lost my Buddy dog I sold my home and moved into an apartment where I can't have any animals I would get myself another dog.

I know that there will never be another Buddy dog, but I'd still like the companionship of another dog.

by Mr Robert on Sat Apr 09, 2011 at 08:47:02 PM PDT

•  In the span of that dog's life (4+ / 0-)

I became a widow, bought a major property, almost went bankrupt, lost a close friend, got grey hairs, moved my family next door, almost got killed defending a politician accused of a crime, accumulated friends and lovers and and knowledge and skills and...
      I most strived to just outlive him, and that I did.
      He was stuck to me at the hip.
      He would have never, ever thrived without me.  He is now done, and my burden is lifted.
      I can now take up sky diving.  I no longer have to outlive that precious thing.
      He was so very worth all of this.

Democrats are on the right side of history every time.

by on the cusp on Sat Apr 09, 2011 at 08:06:46 PM PDT

•  Good on you (4+ / 0-)

your friend will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Take care.

by Mr Robert on Sat Apr 09, 2011 at 08:48:32 PM PDT

•  I am too fragile (4+ / 0-)

to accept the risk at present.

Warmest regards,

Doc

by Translator on Sat Apr 09, 2011 at 08:51:28 PM PDT

•  bungee jump (2+ / 0-)
            TigerMom, Mr Robert

or eat food semi-cooked.
            I just went on safari  to South Africa with little innoculation, as I had 48 hrs notice, and the hep A/B take 6 weeks,
            and it was great and changed my life and I can die happy, especially since Willie went south.
            I have outlived everything that mattered, so Katy, bar the door!
            Doc, this life is what it is.  I intend to go to Peru to see the Incan ruins.  And to go to Russia, and loll about in South France.
            Willie doesn't need me anymore, so it is now all about me.
            I have outlived everything that mattered.

Democrats are on the right side of history every time.

by on the cusp on Sat Apr 09, 2011 at 09:33:01 PM PDT

•  Now that you are free (0+ / 0-)

I hope that you follow your bliss.

I'd absolutely love to follow in your footsteps, but sadly there's one little problem I just can't afford to do it.

by Mr Robert on Sun Apr 10, 2011 at 12:15:19 AM PDT

•  I think so. (2+ / 0-)
          Mr Robert, TigerMom

Since I was his surrogate mom, I actually taught him to hike a leg.
          He was smart and good and awesome and I spent hours today making his grave lovely.
          Let me say, it will be very, very lovely!!!! Climbing roses!!!!
          I just think the next few days will be awful, then less awful, then only slightly awful, then sporadically awful, until they will just be days good or bad of their own accord.
          I am in the awfulest stage at the moment.  The awful factor decreases.  But because I am the way I am, there is never a relief from awful.  I am  just wired that way.
          There is no escape from the video that runs in my head.
          The only time I ever had a champion defend me in my entire life was when he grabbed the leg of my drunken yard guy who had made a move on me.
          That ended the guy's attempt.
          Time will cure a lot of my awfulness.
          The days seems long, and time is suddenly passing slowly.  Imagine that.

Democrats are on the right side of history every time.

by on the cusp on Sat Apr 09, 2011 at 09:17:29 PM PDT

•  It takes a long time (2+ / 0-)
            on the cusp, TigerMom

but eventually you'll just look back at all the wonderful memories of your tie with him.

I know it's hard when you raise them from a puppy like I did with my Buddy dog.

by Mr Robert on Sat Apr 09, 2011 at 09:25:03 PM PDT

•  Willie was the joy of my life. n/t (2+ / 0-)
              TigerMom, Mr Robert

Democrats are on the right side of history every time.

by on the cusp on Sat Apr 09, 2011 at 09:34:46 PM PDT

•  I know where you're coming from (1+ / 0-)
                on the cusp

it was the same with Buddy and me.

He died in my bed right beside me. It was around 1am in the morning. I woke up just as he was passing. I kissed his little face and told him how much I loved him and he was gone.

I don't know, but I think that was far better than finding him in the morning. At least we were together right to the very last moment.

Buddy's ashes and his picture are right next to my bed. And, he's been gone for five years now, but the first thing I do in the morning is look at his picture and say good morning to him.

I may be nuts, but it makes me feel like he and I are still connected and I just know that if there is any kind of "after life" that we will be reunited.

When I think of my Buddy dog I think of the Rainbow Bridge and being with him again.

by Mr Robert on Sun Apr 10, 2011 at 12:36:04 AM PDT