View Diary: Everyone got played by the budget deal. (177 comments)

•  I don't think anyone is saying it's a win. (3+ / 0-)
    angel d, LaFeminista, Pluto

Just not as big a loss as we thought at first. And it is always fun to see the wingnuts freak out.

Especially after what's been happening here recently.

I was Rambo in the disco/ I was shootin' to the beat/ When they burned me in effigy My vacation was complete. Neil Young

by Mike S on Tue Apr 12, 2011 at 11:13:49 PM PDT

•  Not so big a "political loss" however that does (17+ / 0-)

not change the reality the heist continues unabated.

"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." Arundhati Roy

by LaFeminista on Tue Apr 12, 2011 at 11:16:56 PM PDT

•  This was my favorite story that (7+ / 0-)

we covered at my station today:

DALLAS (AP) — Former President George W. Bush plans to discuss the economy today in one of his first speeches on the topic since he left office. He's one of several speakers at a conference to kick off his group's efforts exploring how to boost U.S. growth.

If we had a real media, and a semi-smart electorate, he would have beeen laughed off the stage. A great example of how stupid journalist have become:

The key questions now, Bush said: "Will we unwind government as quickly as possible, and, will we focus on growth and not regulation?"

Low taxes and controlled government spending are some of the 4% Project's tenets, and Bush repeated a long-used line: "The people can spend their money better than the government can. That's irritated some of the sophisticates when I say that."

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/...

He set out to prove that government doesn't work  and the GOP has done their damndest to keep that going. Why Obama hasn't learned that and started to fight in earnest is beyond me.

by Mike S on Tue Apr 12, 2011 at 11:27:14 PM PDT

•  I'm not sure its a fight they want to fight (5+ / 0-)

and Obama is not alone in this by a long chalk.

by LaFeminista on Tue Apr 12, 2011 at 11:31:22 PM PDT

•  May I ask a dumb question? (0+ / 0-)

Why?

•  Agreed. Not many people want to (1+ / 0-)
            Pluto

take on a fight they most likely can't win. There have been only a few times in history where the little guys won. And each time the rich came back even stronger.

by Mike S on Tue Apr 12, 2011 at 11:35:25 PM PDT

•  And no, I am not calling Obama a little guy. (1+ / 0-)
            LaFeminista

Just that he doesn't really want to fight too hard for the little guy and lose. I think if he thought he could win he would fight harder but knows who owns the media, the money and the real power. Plus he knows that what passes for journalists these days are really just more rich people, or people who want to get rich, who cover stories in a way that advances their own interests.

Or like a reporter friend oif mine says, reporters now are just a lot dumber than they used to be. It was a great conversation.

by Mike S on Tue Apr 12, 2011 at 11:39:18 PM PDT

•  A smart, tough, skilled, principled leader (4+ / 0-)

who refuses to give up will eventually figure out a way to win. Obama appears to be none of these things. I honestly don't think that he cares about winning so much as he cares about the appearance of winning. After his bruising and humiliating defeat against Bobby Rush in 2000, I think he just gave up on long odds fights. Even 2008 wasn't that difficult a run considering the competition and the buildup he got from 2004. Now that he's up against some serious foes, he's decided to just cruise along and not risk another 2000.

The Force is NOT strong in this one.

"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything...Mankind are forever destined to be the dupes of bold & cunning imposture" --Alexander Hamilton

by kovie on Tue Apr 12, 2011 at 11:58:43 PM PDT

•  I would doubt whose side Obama was (5+ / 0-)

on if he did something really obvious like give JP Morgan an office in the White House.

I mean, can you imagine him doing something like that?  Shit!  Talk about waking people up.

Or - and I know this is far fetched - imagine if Obama used an Executive Order to create a "Deficit Commission" and then chose a Social Security hating Republican to co-chair it?

Fuck.  He wouldn't have any support on the left if he did shit like that.  Even the most ardent Obama lovers would start to question just whose side Obama is on.

Good thing Obama keeps things subtle.

/angry snark

Defending Obama, whilst ignoring the banksters & oligarchy he has surrounded himself with, is surrealism beyond even a Mad Hatter's grasp.

by Johnathan Ivan on Wed Apr 13, 2011 at 02:23:58 AM PDT

•  Bush saying that government doesn't work (3+ / 0-)
          Mike S, Voodoo king, Alice in Florida

is sort of like Charlie Sheen saying that abstinence doesn't work. Duh.

I love it when spoiled and entitled little shits preach about common sense.

by kovie on Tue Apr 12, 2011 at 11:54:04 PM PDT

•  Some journalists work hard. (0+ / 0-)

The analysis may not be fabulous,

A great example of how stupid journalist have become:

but they reported what got said, it appears. So have a confab to refute Bushtupidity and have that reported.

You want stupid opinionating, turn on the TV.

Thump! Bang. Whack-boing. It's dub!

by dadadata on Wed Apr 13, 2011 at 05:08:46 AM PDT

•  Why shouldn't Bush have this gig? (0+ / 0-)

after all, the country has bought his hocus pocus economic theories hook, line, and sinker.  As evidenced by the fact that Republicans still get more than 1% or so of the vote . . . . (of course, when there's no alternative, I suppose * that * could be explained!)

•  But that 1% has to again endure the deep pain (4+ / 0-)

of being forced to have their tax rates cut yet again. Will the torture never end?!?

by kovie on Tue Apr 12, 2011 at 11:51:05 PM PDT

•  I'm still not buying the spin... (15+ / 0-)

that it's "not as bad as we thought"

I'm certainly not hoping for the worst.

But simply because Andrea Mitchell, CBS and the AP have whitewashed the deal.. and Redstate continues their hyperbole (Seriously? What's new with that?) this deal stinks in my book.

I tend to agree with Bernie Sanders on this one. I suggest you read his statement from earlier today.

Release: Sanders Calls Budget Deal Robin Hood in Reverse

This is a crisis I knew had to come, Destroying the balance I'd kept. Doubting, unsettling and turning around, Wondering what will come next.
      --Ian Curtis