View Diary: Entitlement-hating Paul Ryan collected Social Security benefits until he was 18 (284 comments)

•  Fair hit. (5+ / 0-)

The issues isn't him taking the benefit, it's him deciding to cut others after he took it and used it to move up the ladder.....and then pull the ladder up after him.

If you want a link, I'll look for a link. If you really want it. Just ask.

by Inland on Wed Apr 20, 2011 at 06:52:40 AM PDT

•  Paul Ryan is (0+ / 0-)

saying SS death benefit for children should be eliminated?

Watching peoples political dreams crash on the rocks of political reality is fun to me.

by mim5677 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 at 06:55:17 AM PDT

•  He's saying it should be privatized (2+ / 0-)
        SweetLittleOkie, elwior

..and kids like he was left to the caring whim of the market.

This diary is very important, because he would have been in a much bigger world of hurt if he hadn't had the program he's now trying to steal from others.

If you can find money to kill people, you can find money to help people. --Tony Benn

by rhetoricus on Wed Apr 20, 2011 at 08:55:29 AM PDT

•  Is he saying that (0+ / 0-)

survivor benefits should be eliminated?  If he is saying it should be changed that's a lot different than saying it should be eliminated.

I am specifically talking about the survivor benefit because that is what this diary addresses.

If he is not talking about the survivor benefit I feel pretty good about my assessment of the tone of this diary.

by mim5677 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 at 09:16:08 AM PDT

•  Not specifically. But others. (1+ / 0-)
        elwior

It's the same concept: he got aid that allowed him to escape poverty and become a right wing tool for ending aid.

If you want a link, I'll look for a link. If you really want it. Just ask.

by Inland on Wed Apr 20, 2011 at 12:20:22 PM PDT

•  Which is why I think this diary (0+ / 0-)

does more of a disservice than it does to help.

If the argument is that solid there is no need to stoop in order to make a point.

That was an ugly way to frame this argument and could have easily been made without bringing up the death of his father and making a loose connection.

Ryan's hypocracy is no excuse for people here to act like they don't know better.

by mim5677 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 at 12:27:03 PM PDT

•  It's not "stooping" at all. (0+ / 0-)

It's not saying Ryan shoulnd't have been helped because his father died..  It's saying that having been helped because his father died, and using that help to obtain a colleged ed so that he could make it, he should understand the concept and the need and the value.

He SHOULD be saying, "I am living proof that government entitlements work for individuals and socieity".   Instead, he's pulling up the ladder behind him.

If you want a link, I'll look for a link. If you really want it. Just ask.

by Inland on Thu Apr 21, 2011 at 06:00:10 AM PDT

•  No difference to me (0+ / 0-)

one ugly turn doesn't deserve another, fair or not.  It's just ugly and uninspiring.

by mim5677 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 at 07:02:36 AM PDT

•  Ugly? Its the truth (2+ / 0-)
        SweetLittleOkie, elwior

People die.   There is nothing ugly about that.  People get on Social Security - there shouldn't be something ugly about that.   People are trying to destroy the American social safety net - that is ugly.

•  Nope (0+ / 0-)

I don't care what your ideology is, using the death of this guys father for political ammunition is a cheap ass low blow and to be so callous as to say that people dying isn't ugly but removing a social safety net is(when the whole purpose of the safety net is to prevent such things), is more than dishonest.

by mim5677 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 at 12:24:27 PM PDT

•  I'm sorry you have such an issue with death (1+ / 0-)
            elwior

but people dying in of itself is not ugly.  Its natural, its normal, we will all die.  You are the one focusing on his father's death.  Everyone else is focusing on the fact that Paul Ryan received social security benefits.    It just so happens that he received those benefits, like a lot of Americans, because his father died when he was under 18.

•  FOS (0+ / 0-)

I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt but then I looked over the diary again and it reconfirmed my original thoughts.  The main point of the diary focused on the death of his father to make a political point.  No claim was made in the diary that Ryan is looking to eliminate the death benefit, but the fact that he got the death benefit and wants to make non-specific cuts to social security is enough for people to rec this callous and shallow point of view.

You're acting like a callous asshole to prove a political point.  All the fucking diaries on this place about people dying and what the lack of a social safety net will do for people, one of those things being death, the arguments made, that the GOP wants to kill grandparents over medicare cuts, and you still have the guts to make such an argument.

I do have a tough time with death.  When people I am close to leave this plane of existence, it's hard, it's not normal even if expected, and billions of people agree with me.  That was a really jerky thing to say and is exactly why I don't approve of this type of bullshit, where we play political games with issues we wouldn't feel the same about if directed at us.

by mim5677 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 at 02:46:33 PM PDT