View Diary: Entitlement-hating Paul Ryan collected Social Security benefits until he was 18 (284 comments)

•  Not long after I entered college (18+ / 0-)

in 1979, the policy was changed to eliminate benefits to college students. Paul Ryan is about nine years younger than I am, so he would have stopped collecting at 18.

A friend of mine was affected by that policy change, and while he didn't acknowledge it at the time, I'm pretty sure it's one reason he dropped out of college.

Let us all have the strength to see our enemies as human beings, and the courage to let them see us in the same light.

by Nowhere Man on Wed Apr 20, 2011 at 09:51:49 AM PDT

•  I personally collected about (9+ / 0-)

$200 monthly until i reached 22 while enrolled in college as a full-time student during this time. It certainly made college affordable.  I was lucky sort of. I mean, my dad died young, but he did pay into the SS system for a long time. I looked upon it as his benefits.

I believe that this policy was ended by Reagan, not Carter; but, I could be wrong. We were less mean-spirited in those days.

•  I too collected . . . (8+ / 0-)

Survivors benefits until age 22 and was able to get a good  education by piecing the benefits together with scholarships, work study,  and part time and summer jobs, and by going to state supported universities with really low in-state tuition.   I also consider myself fortunate (as fortunate as you can be after losing a parent at a young age).

As a result of that education, I now pay more in social security taxes in a year than I collected in benefits the whole time.

The benefits for college students were eliminated in the 1983 Social Security Act, which also raised some payroll taxes and was supposed to solve the social security problem for the baby boomer generation.

I think one of the arguments at the time was that the college student benefit was not based on need or merit -- and some kids who didn't really need the money collected the monthly checks.  But back then state colleges were subsidized far more than now, and there seemed to be plenty of grants, scholarships and work study available.

I think there's sort of a larger issue with how difficult it is to finance a college education these days -- social security was a piece of the puzzle back in the day but it seems like some of the other pieces have disappeared or been cut down as well.

•  It was Reagan (3+ / 0-)

By "not long after", I meant within a couple of years, not a couple of months. Sorry for the confusion.

by Nowhere Man on Wed Apr 20, 2011 at 02:10:31 PM PDT

•  We're roughly (4+ / 0-)

the same age.  If you were in college already then you were grandfathered in to receive the benefits until you either graduated or quit as I was.

Though force can protect in emergency, only justice, fairness, consideration and co-operation can finally lead men to the dawn of eternal peace. D. Eisenhower

by Swatmacher on Wed Apr 20, 2011 at 01:21:40 PM PDT

•  I remember them not grandfathering students (3+ / 0-)

If you were directly affected, then I defer to your experience, but my memory is that currently-enrolled students lost their benefits due to the policy change.

by Nowhere Man on Wed Apr 20, 2011 at 02:11:53 PM PDT

•  Yes, I was directly (3+ / 0-)
          Nowhere Man, elwior, Josiah Bartlett

affected.  My father died when I was 8 .  I graduated hs in 80 and started college that fall.  I received those checks all four years.

by Swatmacher on Wed Apr 20, 2011 at 07:44:46 PM PDT

•  Adding to the above (2+ / 0-)
            elwior, Josiah Bartlett

I remember the above in particular because one of my bil's died in 1986.  My nieces and nephews at the time were 19, 18, 16, 14, 8 and 6.  They did not receive any support post-hs/18.

by Swatmacher on Wed Apr 20, 2011 at 07:55:31 PM PDT