View Diary: Library Employees Fired for Censorship in Kentucky (277 comments)

•  More Accurate to Say (7+ / 0-)

Religious schools are the organs of censorship.

Christian
    Catholic
    Madrassas

Readers & Book Lovers Pull up a chair! You're never too old to be a Meta Groupie

by Limelite on Wed Apr 20, 2011 at 07:48:21 AM PDT

•  or Jewish, State run communist etc (1+ / 0-)
      GAladybug

Any group that educates and wants to impose it's particular brand of ideology is going to want to censor.

That's just the nature of the beast.

•  Public schools are organs of censorship too (7+ / 0-)

When the president tried to give a speech to schoolchildren urging them to work hard and get an education the Christian right in my town went nuts and tried to stop it. The kids were allowed to see the speech but it was mandatory for the teacher to offer them "other work" during the speech which of course the kids did because they thought they had to.

These same people then complain that the schools don't sing Christmas carols in December.

"Pretty soon we're not going to be able to find reasonable decent people who are willing to subject themselves to serving public office." Sheriff Dupnik, AZ

by voracious on Wed Apr 20, 2011 at 08:19:29 AM PDT

•  Democracy is a battleground. (0+ / 0-)

That's no excuse to shirk it and in fact shirking only makes things worse for everyone. Was there no one there to stand up for doing the right thing? And did you stand beside them?

•  Catholicism is a Christian Religion (8+ / 0-)

Sorry. Just bugs the heck out of me to see it 'separated' from the sub heading of "Christian". Might as well separate out "Baptist", or "Protestant" or "Lutheran".

The GOP Prime Directive: Be Silent - Consume - DIE!

by Lance Bearer on Wed Apr 20, 2011 at 08:38:21 AM PDT

•  You're Quite Right (0+ / 0-)

I wanted to separate the Protestant Christian schools from the Catholic ones.  I should have been more clear.

While I only listed three of the major religious schools, I recognize that many other religions have them.  I think the idea came across as the ones I listed being the Big Three when people think of religious schools prone to censoring educational experiences by revising academic material.

I am unfamiliar with Jewish religious schools revising academic material to fit their dogma.  I know they have schools for supplementary religious education, though.

by Limelite on Wed Apr 20, 2011 at 08:47:51 AM PDT

•  I understand your point, (0+ / 0-)

But it's a clumsy turn of phrase. I've heard ultra conservative 'christianists' preach against 'non christian' religions - they like to list Catholicism as something separate from Christians. "Cathlolics, Muslims, Jews, and us Christians..." It helps them focus anger at the Catholic church.

You see the same thing with people treating "The Tea Party" as some sort of separate political movement. THEY'RE REPUBLICANS! It helps the conservatives to keep the 'branding' separate... so they can both 'milk the flock' when needed and deny accountability when it is inconvenient.

As a lapsed former alter boy, I've got no particular love for the Catholic church... I'm just pointing out the fallacy there.

Carry on...

The GOP Prime Directive: Be Silent - Consume - DIE!

by Lance Bearer on Wed Apr 20, 2011 at 11:44:21 AM PDT

•  well the Irish immigrants (1+ / 0-)
      billlaurelMD

felt they had to start their own schools because of the blatant and disgusting anti-Irish lies written into the text books and promulgated by the schools.  The only institution they had that could help them create an alternative to the system that reinforced and excused their oppression was the Catholic Church.

I look at the nonsense written into my kid's history text books; and from a kid's perspective or from an end-result's perspective, it doesn't matter who is forcing lies and myths to be written into the books: they are there. Our public schools are also guilty of misinformation.  Censorship?  Leaving stuff out would be fine, the lies-- be it anti-Irish lies in the 1800s or stuff about Moses and "monotheism" (without mentioning Zoroaster or the fact that the bible is very clearly henotheistic and not monotheistic, not that any of that crap belongs in a history book anyway)-- is what we should be worried about in schools.

"Pelosi was the only damn one of the entire lot who showed any ounce of leadership the last two years"-- The Dead Man

by musicalhair on Wed Apr 20, 2011 at 08:47:02 AM PDT

•  Inaccuracy and Bias (0+ / 0-)

in textbooks are the fault.  That's not exactly censorship where information is knowingly withheld that I had in mind.

Unless you're the Texas School Board, I suppose.

by Limelite on Wed Apr 20, 2011 at 08:50:01 AM PDT

•  what I'm saying is that (1+ / 0-)
          SarekOfVulcan

misinformation is worse than lack of information.  I'm also addressing the idea that the Catholic schools-- of which I'm not exactly a fan, but the serve a purpose, and on occassion that purpose is a good purpose-- are monoliths in tribute to censorship.  They started because of bias in our public schools.

by musicalhair on Wed Apr 20, 2011 at 09:00:48 AM PDT