View Diary: Open Source Research Project: Alan Greenspan (284 comments)

•  In itself not worth doing (none)
    Alan greenspan is unlikely to sign up for another term. And I would say that the financial world no longer adores Greenspan as they once did back in the 90s.

but as an experiment, sure, sign me up

"And for those of you who want to really get down & dirty in the trenches, we can turn this into a one-degree-of-separation venture"
    "And, to make it amply clear, this is emphatically not a call for a "smear" campaignseparation venture"

not a smear? maybe a smudge?

The easiest take on ALan is just to look at his past statements and look for contradictions.

An opposition party need only oppose.

by litero on Fri Mar 04, 2005 at 11:24:49 AM PST

•  Hang On Here... (none)
      No one has to contribute anything to this thread.  It isn't a "witchhunt", or a smear campaign.

What we're doing is using our collective intellect, our talents for sniffing out bullsh*t, and our research skills to prove a simple point.

I don't give a flip about his personal life or his partisan "reporter" wife, Andrea.

Either Alan Greenspan is the great, trusted, paternalistic, unbiased, financial genius everyone makes him out to be, OR he's an opportunistic partisan hack, about to retire, who wants to score points with The Powers that Be for his after(fedpost)life.  Mightn't it be as simple as nest-feathering, with an eye toward future personal pocket-lining?

Has he sold out?  Let's compare notes.

George Bush vacations in Texas; he LIVES in Denial.

by Joon on Fri Mar 04, 2005 at 02:53:44 PM PST

•  I think you must have me confused with another (none)
        I was just teasing about the smear smudge because there was a bit of contradiction in the orginal post.

Its not either/or. There is a strong case to be made for befuddled old man.

I am all for this exercise, as I have said over and over. More as a dry run than anything else.

There have been a lot balanced looks at Greenspans record. His days of universal praise ended with the recession. But lets face it reading about Greenspan is about as much as listening to him.

Has he sold out? I have never seen any sign that he has feathered his nest. If he was interested in money, he could have resigned in the 90s and made a lot of money sitting on boards of directors.

An opposition party need only oppose.

by litero on Fri Mar 04, 2005 at 03:19:26 PM PST

•  I think you missed my point... (none)
          What I meant is: his contradictions (and rather obvious Bush shilling) might be more simply explained by his wanting to leave his post in the good graces of the current administration and, in particular, the larger financial community, in order to better improve his "retirement" opportunities.

I doubt the first thing he'll do is spend two years writing a book (though that's sure to come).  He'll want to stay engaged in the financial field for at least a few years.

Why hack them off in his waning appointment days?

Goodness!  I didn't mean to imply that he's on the take in his current position--just that he's currying favor with the current powerbrokers in the Administration and among the heavy financial hitters.

Now, PUT DOWN THAT PITCHFORK!

;0)

George Bush vacations in Texas; he LIVES in Denial.

by Joon on Fri Mar 04, 2005 at 03:45:41 PM PST

•  i'll get you , evildoer (none)
            actually I think he plans on dying.

An opposition party need only oppose.

by litero on Fri Mar 04, 2005 at 03:52:36 PM PST

•  so he'll be cross-cannonized as...? (none)
              The Patron Saint of Moneychangers  ?

George Bush vacations in Texas; he LIVES in Denial.

by Joon on Fri Mar 04, 2005 at 07:06:45 PM PST