View Diary: "Gay demon" exorcist runs for city council, as a Democrat (86 comments)

•  I have a gay demon that can be cast out: (28+ / 0-)

My ex boyfriend. Sorry, that was in poor taste. Now for the seriousness:

Observant Christians like myself are observing Holy Week. There is nothing that angers me more that the misuse of Christianity or any religion by these crackpot wingnuts. Especially when it comes to those of us who are gay.

"I give you a new commandment: love one another as I have loved you". --Jesus of Nazareth

I am so tired of the folks like Ms. Daniels perverting my faith. Really, really tired of it.

Craft is what emerges when you hit inspiration over the head with a stick.

by commonmass on Fri Apr 22, 2011 at 01:47:07 PM PDT

•  lol on the less serious part (5+ / 0-)

rec'd for

My ex boyfriend

:-P

•  Does she exorcise straight and bi demons as well? (5+ / 0-)

From a business point of view, diversification  is always a good idea.

Also is Easter candy prayed over and blessed by witches? I'd like to know so I can support my local covens.

On the serious side - WTF?

"All we are saying is give peace a chance" - John Lennon -7.50, -8.51

by Rogneid on Fri Apr 22, 2011 at 03:00:37 PM PDT

•  I don't know. (3+ / 0-)
        swampyankee, commonmass, jabney

I do know I once had a Sunday School classmate in the SBC shame the rest of the class for liking chocolate bunnies and colored eggs because Pagan Symbols.

(Same class included someone who mass-emailed the entire class a document proclaiming that Santa Claus was some sort of gateway drug for future atheism, if that gives any sense of the environment into which the proclamation was made.)

Prayers and best wishes to those in Japan.

by Cassandra Waites on Fri Apr 22, 2011 at 05:38:39 PM PDT

•  Santa is a Stalinist. (1+ / 0-)
          Mortifyd

He knows everything about you, and he'll judge you. YHWY at least has a sense of humor. Jesus did, too. The Holy Spirit is pretty uptight, but that's because she has to compete with Mary.

Craft is what emerges when you hit inspiration over the head with a stick.

by commonmass on Fri Apr 22, 2011 at 06:44:07 PM PDT

•  Jesus went to his death for that commandment.... (2+ / 0-)
      commonmass, JTinDC

... and these hateful monsters are engaged in blasphemy.

Someone needs to get right up in their faces on that point.

•  Jesus went to his death for that, and also, (5+ / 0-)

because he was fulfilling prophesies. My favorite line from all of the Passion narratives: "What is truth?"--Pontius Pilate.

Jesus did other things, at least in the stories. He went to a wedding where the hosts were rude enough not to put up enough wine. Jesus fixed it. There is nothing worse than inviting people to your party and not having enough wine.

Jesus' friend Lazarus was sick. Jesus was too busy to visit him until it was too late. Lazarus had died. "Jesus Wept", the shortest "Jesus" quote in the Bible refers to the fact that he wept over the death of his friend, and his own foolishness of not having come earlier. Jesus responded by bringing his friend out of the tomb. At least in the story, that's how it goes

Jesus seemed to be a pretty stand up guy. No pun intended. Oh, and he pardoned thieves, spoke to strange women, healed the sick (free of charge) and even liked trolls. Well, that short guy in a tree, anyway.

Craft is what emerges when you hit inspiration over the head with a stick.

by commonmass on Fri Apr 22, 2011 at 03:44:21 PM PDT

•  Yes and Yes! "One majorly cool dude" (3+ / 0-)
          Catte Nappe, commonmass, JTinDC

When I was a kid we used to say "If Jesus was around today people would think he was a hippie," and today he'd be called a communist.

I'm something of a rationalist (with a mystical streak), but the way I understand many of those stories is that he was able to get people to truly rise above themselves in many ways.

For example the story of fishes & loaves is conventionally interpreted as miraculous in the sense of materialization.  But a rationalist interpretation is that he was able to inspire people to share what food they were hoarding, thereby creating plenty where there had been scarcity.

The deeper miracle is the transformation of the human mind and heart.  And this is a struggle that is still with us.  For most of the problems we face, we have the means at our fingertips to solve them; all we need to do is decide to act.  And for many of those instances, the decision to act requires a change of heart or a change of mind.  Getting hearts and minds to change is still as difficult today as it was in Biblical times.

•  I'm an atheist who believes that the Bible (1+ / 0-)
            lotlizard

is a thoroughly human document that gives marvelous glimpes of what divinity truly is, and that is, as you so rightly said, to rise above our human instinct.

Ds see human suffering and wonder what they can do to relieve it. Rs see human suffering and wonder how they can profit from it.

by JTinDC on Fri Apr 22, 2011 at 10:33:59 PM PDT

•  or it was his wedding (0+ / 0-)

which would be why he was in charge of snacks...

And we sail and we sail and we never see land, just the rum in the bottle and a pipe in my hand...

by Mortifyd on Fri Apr 22, 2011 at 08:19:38 PM PDT

•  Something Possessed You To Buy Those Shoes (1+ / 0-)
      commonmass

Could it have been Satan?

It's all so clear to me now. I'm the keeper of the cheese. And you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.

by bernardpliers on Fri Apr 22, 2011 at 04:02:21 PM PDT

•  Amen (0+ / 0-)

Be radical in your compassion.

by DWG on Fri Apr 22, 2011 at 11:09:00 PM PDT