View Diary: DK Elections Daily Digest: 4/25 (35 comments)

•  NM-Sen (3+ / 0-)
    citizenx, gabjoh, terjeanderson

Hector Balderas is in.  Worth mentioning, because there's a fairly good chance he'll end up being Senator.

exmearden: Grab every minute of joy you can. 8/30/09

by Land of Enchantment on Mon Apr 25, 2011 at 06:20:49 AM PDT

•  Both he and Heinrich seem fine to me (2+ / 0-)
      Land of Enchantment, gabjoh

I just worry about a messy primary. Someone else from NM replied to me that they are both gentlemen and wouldnt let that happen. I hope that is the case, because with two strong Dem candidates, a nasty D primary is one of the few things that could the GOP a chance to win in this race.

•  I did a stand-alone post on this (2+ / 0-)
      Land of Enchantment, gabjoh

Here. It's always an art, not a science, deciding what to put in the digest and what to do as a stand-alone, but I try to put the bigger announcements in their own posts.

Political Director, Daily Kos

by David Nir on Mon Apr 25, 2011 at 08:09:42 AM PDT

•  I missed yours (1+ / 0-)
        gabjoh

I did a diary of my own later on Friday.  Remarking on yours:  Ethnicity will definitely play a role.  It played a role in getting Tejana Susana, a Republican, elected governor, too.  It's New Mexico, and it's probably not entirely wrong for it to be so.  The state's something like 44% Hispanic - if not a Chicano Senator there, then where?  But better when the Hispanic's got really stands on issues, like Ben Ray Lujan.  I'm hoping my representative stays in the House, because he looks like a great prospect for leadership there.

I like Heinrich a little better, because of issues.  But Hector's damned good, and I wouldn't have any trouble getting behind him in the general election if it comes to that.  (As long as we don't get Heather!  If figure some oppo blasts at her will definitely be in order, regardless.)

exmearden: Grab every minute of joy you can. 8/30/09

by Land of Enchantment on Mon Apr 25, 2011 at 08:22:54 AM PDT

•  I'm sure ethnicity will play (2+ / 0-)
          Land of Enchantment, gabjoh

At least some sort of a role. But I just don't want people concluding, "Oh, the Dem primary electorate is overwhelmingly Latino, ergo Balderas has this one."

Political Director, Daily Kos

by David Nir on Mon Apr 25, 2011 at 10:13:36 AM PDT

•  Not at all (1+ / 0-)
            gabjoh

I just hope the primary's run in such a way that it won't draw too much blood.  I'm not as worried about the candidates as their supporters.  The local machine in my area, for example, prefers intimidation and suppressing voter turnout.  It helps them in local elections, but hurts Democratic candidates in larger contests.  (The Taos School Board has been a mess for years because of how it was used in ethnic identity terms to bolster someone else's ambitions - half a dozen years after the precipitating incident, there's still shrapnel and fallout flying around.)

Arguably, they're the ones that brought us Republican Redmond back in the 1990s.  Yeah, there was a Green candidate that got 17% of the vote.  But that was, in good part, because the Dem candidate (chosen by party committee insiders, not primary, when Clinton appointed Bill Richardson as UN Ambassador) was awful.  Time has held that perception up, as he ended up indicted as state Insurance Commissioner.

The candidate who emerged in the next primary, where voters got to choose, was Tom Udall.  Way better than Eric Serna would have been.  In retrospect, it's almost good that we had the Green spoiler in the special, because Udall's way better.

I don't mean to suggest that Hector's got the problems Serna had - he doesn't.

exmearden: Grab every minute of joy you can. 8/30/09

by Land of Enchantment on Mon Apr 25, 2011 at 10:35:08 AM PDT

•  BTW, Ben Ray Lujan... (0+ / 0-)

... did an excellent job of winning over supporters of other candidates in the 2008 primary.  Even in the Hillary/Obama split - he declared early for Obama when most of the machine people went for Hillary.  I figure he'll be good in this Senate race as well.  (I really like my Congressman.)

exmearden: Grab every minute of joy you can. 8/30/09

by Land of Enchantment on Mon Apr 25, 2011 at 10:36:46 AM PDT

•  Lujan? (0+ / 0-)

He just said he won't run. Or do you mean, you expect him to act as a peacemaker after the primary?

Political Director, Daily Kos

by David Nir on Mon Apr 25, 2011 at 11:00:09 AM PDT

•  Right, peacemaker. (0+ / 0-)

No, he's not running for Senate.  I'm glad for that.  I want him to stay in the House on a leadership track.  If he went for Senate, there'd be money probably in the 8-figures thrown at him from Texas.  With his dad as Speaker of the State House, there'd be endless shit thrown at him.

Martin Heinrich got hit with "pals around with terrorists" in the 2008 race for House, because in his role at State Lands Trustee office, he'd had dealings with wilderness activist Dave Foreman who did some jail time (for Earth First! vandalism.)

Now, if Martin Chavez would just stay out of everything...  No one outside Albuquerque likes him much, because they figure him for a water grab for his city real estate developer cronies.

exmearden: Grab every minute of joy you can. 8/30/09

by Land of Enchantment on Mon Apr 25, 2011 at 11:45:41 AM PDT

•  Meanwhile (0+ / 0-)

I republished yours to NM Kossacks & Latino Kos, both communities of interest that will want to keep an eye on this one.  I guess I'd better follow another tag, eh?

exmearden: Grab every minute of joy you can. 8/30/09