Skip to main content

View Diary: Oil company earnings skyrocket, taxpayer subsidies continue (77 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  80% of US oil is consumed by DoD--biggest US oil (1+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    Jim P

    customer, which clearly makes the contention that the oil market is a 'free market' bogus.  One giant customer buys 80% of the oil products and the rest of us are the 20% side, and those familiar with the 80/20 rule will realize we citizens and consumers don't consume enough to be deemed significant stakeholders or customers in this vast enterprise.  What we do to conserve indeed matters some, but what our DoD does matters the most.  The DoD's carbon foot print is immense compared to all citizen usage of oil.

    If we hope to create a truly meaningful dip in the annual amount of oil consumed  by US, we must have our military greatly scale down, or cease,  it's active and fuel-intensive operations and withdraw forces and special forces from Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan (and Iran and other secret spots), as well as closing a number of redundant or unnecessary bases. Obama should have DARPA focus on finding greener ways to transport troops and supplies.  

    Our continuing fixation and dependence upon oil can be said to be a grave national security threat, requiring that we spend much energy attempting to guard, control or influence as many sources of petroleum as possible, especially as we pass the peak oil production mark.  There is another factor which has from time to time constricted our consumer fuel market.  The oil companies have not expanded refining capacity, beyond their 13 big and aging facilities, in decades, so this is a bottle-neck on the 'free market', making scarcity easy to create.  If one refinery goes down, then big fuel shortages rapidly drive up costs in the consumer market.  The DoD will get theirs ahead of ours.  We citizens are the ones left stretched across the empty barrels.

    Nationalizing oil could make tremendous sense long term, especially if re-investing dollars into green energy and jobs.  Our vast Strategic Oil Reserve seems to get no attention or discussion from our president or Congress these days.  

    When life gives you wingnuts, make wingnut butter!

    by antirove on Mon Apr 25, 2011 at 03:31:32 PM PDT

    [ Parent ]

    •  Do you have a link(s) on the 80/20? (0+ / 0-)

      I was being 20% snarky, but good heavens, just cutting out the profit markup alone from nationalized oil would take a massive chunk out of treasury expenditures if that's the case.

      Actually makes the argument for nationalization a ton stronger, as well.


      Until we break the corporate virtual monopoly on what we hear and see, we keep losing, don't matter what we do.

      by Jim P on Mon Apr 25, 2011 at 04:04:20 PM PDT

      [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site