View Diary: A Promise to My Grandfather: A Follow Up (321 comments)

•  BettyG account (none)
    There IS an account under that name

BettyG

User 46052. Pretty recent.

No comments, no ratings, no diaries.

What's the official User Count on Daily Kos?

My google search for Auschwitz Tattoos yielded some information that indicates the first series of tattoos -- "regular" --  included no letters, only a consecutive series of numbers. They were later added to with "A" series, "B" series, "AU," "Z" and "EH."

Reading the Update, I am still inclined to believe this. He does seem to have deleted hs email address due to overload. As for the discrepancies of numbers, caskets and high UIDs, I'll take a wait and see.

ADAM PRATHER, if you're reading this, you might want to address the skeptics here. After the initial euphoric response to a story this uplifting NATURALLY comes a skeptic-hangover of sorts, wondering if we've been had. For how could something so serendipitous and so beautiful and so UNBELIEVABLE... be true?

Rage, rage, against the lying of the Right.

by Maryscott OConnor on Sat Mar 05, 2005 at 10:23:38 AM PST

•  I should just delete this diary (4.00)
      Mary,

I really questioned if I wanted to write this diary. I knew that there would be skeptics that would question this. One side said do it, because that is how I found Betty. One side said no, look what they did to Gannon.

My cousin told me not to post it. He has been blogging on DailyKos for over a year. He told me that there would be people that would not believe it and find a way to prove that. It would just pile on to my pain.

My friend Ryan told me to do it, even if people thought it was a myth that they would take away from the story hope.

I hate to say it, but my cousin was right.

1. Open Casket because it was not a Jewish funeral. My grandfather never was a practicing Jew, when I knew him. My mother attended a Catholic high school, I myself am Catholic now.

2. BettyG. I didn't know where or how BettyG read my diary. If you see in her email, it says "your email", as if that is how she received it. If BettyG is a DailyKos member, then that is new to me.

3. Numbers. All I know is what I saw on the two times I saw it.

4. My email listing. I took it down after my email account was overwelmed.

As for the rest of this. If people want to call this a hoax. Then call it a hoax. It is no skin off my back. This is my story. I can always hit delete to this diary. But if this is any sign of the pain me or my family (or Betty's) would have to go through if this went into the mainstream media, then we will keep it to ourselves.

Thanks to you, Mary, and others that did like the story. But I don't know right now, if there will be anymore follow ups on this story.

Adam

The simple minded and the uninformed can be easily led astray and those that cannot connect the dots, Hey look the other way.

by amprather on Sat Mar 05, 2005 at 12:34:45 PM PST

•  Please, please (none)
        don't delete this. It is too wonderful a tale to not share. There will always be doubters. There are still those who say that the holocaust is a myth.

It IS a pain to be in the public eye. We have some relatives who are fairly well-known and the tabloids have a field day making stuff up about them. However, that is no reason for them to "hide their light under a bushel"

•  No one ever said keeping your promise (4.00)
          would be easy, Adam.  You have been given an unique opportunity to point out the similarities between 1930s Germany and 2000s America while telling the story of yours and Betty's grandfathers.

Of course the hatemongers are going to attack you, and the skeptics doubt you. But aren't the people who need to hear this more important than them?

In the end, it comes down to you, and the promise you made.  How much are you willing to do to keep your promise?

Can you endure your 15 minutes of fame (and all that it entails) for a chance to make people see where we're headed if we don't stop the madness?

What would Roman do?

What color are my pajamas? BLUE of course!

by Jesus was a Liberal on Sat Mar 05, 2005 at 01:12:45 PM PST

•  I second the pleas, Adam (none)
        I believe you wholeheartedly, though we've never interacted on Kos and I don't know you from...(nah, too easy!) anywhere.  The fact is, this story touched my increasingly saddened heart like nothing else has over the past four, going on five, years.  We need to believe it. We need to believe in you, and BettyG, and Roman, and others out there who truly care about their fellow human beings. We need to believe in some redemption for suffering and pain.  Thank you for reminding us that it's possible. Please do not remove the diary and have the courage to keep telling your story. It's all each of us has, our stories.
      •  "Attacked" is a very stong word. (none)
        Well, what I feared would happen, happened. There would be skeptics that would rather attack me for this diary."

No offense, but don't you think that "attack" is a little strong?

As my posting strongly says, I'm not taking any stance on you, the story or even attacking you.

I agree that it is a wonderful story, and one I would like to believe is true.

The simple fact is you cannot belive what you read anymore -- or ever -- on the internet alone.

I've been to many jewish funerals -- most of them of relatives fro the old country -- and they NEVER had an open casket.  So, as such, I must hold back on my blind acceptance of this story.  Since the KOS community is filled with people who's opinions, views and morals I respect, I felt compelled to bring my experience out there.

Again, note in my message that I say over and over that I am not claiming this story to be untrue!  To say that I am attacking you is a great distortion of facts.

•  Please keep the diary (4.00)
        Hundreds of people are touched, blown away, uplifted, sharing this with friends. Trust me, more than have commented. And some small number (under 10?) have expressed "doubt".

I wrote earlier (below)about publishing material like this on a daily basis for five years, at http://www.HeroicStories.com . Just like clockwork, the "doubters" write in, nearly every story. But they're like a mosquito bite compared to the flood of people who're uplifted, whose lives are changed for the better.

There's a phrase: "What you think of me is none of  my business." It applies here, don't let the doubters bug you. (Email me if you'd like.)

And please steer your own course from here, as private as you want. Privacy is good. Wishing you the very best in this astonishing and remarkable journey,

Reframing the news and people's views of our world: http://www.HeroicStories.com

by AllisonInSeattle on Sat Mar 05, 2005 at 01:56:06 PM PST

•  amprather (4.00)
        It's a very small number of people who doubted you. Please leave the diary up, take the time you need to process this event with BettyG and come back if and when you're ready.

We're all behind you. You're like a prism, having deflected a marvelous shaft of light that fell through your heart and onto this "page". We all marvel at its colors and brilliance, and treasure the dimensions of the story. It's powerful because it tells about not only your extraordinary grandfathers, but about all of humanity and what we truly are.

Let the great world spin for ever down the ringing grooves of change. - Tennyson

by bumblebums on Sat Mar 05, 2005 at 02:00:51 PM PST

•  asdf (none)
        Dear Adam,

I hereby nominate you for the "Giraffe Award," given semi-frequently and always generously to anyone willing to stick his/her neck out....

with best regards,

•  Do what you think is right (none)
        but speaking for myself, I hope you don't delete the diary.  I was very touched by it and I believe you.
        •  I agree. (none)
          I'm disgusted, in fact, that people question you.  I don't.  And I can't properly describe the effect your story has had on me.  Beyond profound.  I've read it over and over again, and it still makes me cry.  Your story touched me very deeply because I wonder whether I could be as brave as your grandfather or BettyG's grandfather if I was in a similar situation.  I hope the answer is yes.  Please keep the story up and know that there are a lot of people out there that you and your grandfather have touched.
      •  Better here than on FOX. (4.00)
        Amprather, I can understand the hurt and frustration that skeptics here might cause you, but I think in a way they're doing you a service. In the long run, it'll be easier to address any questions your story raises here, before it hits the mainstream media.

Your grandfathers' stories have the potential to move many people and do a great deal of good; but when it gets a national audience the right wing will try to give it the Rathergate treatment. If you don't answer the questions raised by skeptics here, they will be asked again, far more nastily, on FOX, Free Republic, LGF et al. And people there will never get to hear your answers.

I know this kind of thing is probably the last thing you want to have to think about now -- but if you don't want to deal with it, at least leave the thread up and let us hash out any potential issues on our own.

Good luck!

Those who don't remember the future are doomed to repeat it.

by Abou Ben Adhem on Sat Mar 05, 2005 at 02:43:09 PM PST

•  Danm the torpedoes! (none)
        Full speed ahead.
      •  Don't delete. (none)
        First, the damage is done. This story is flying around the Internets at the speed of God.

Second, There will always be doubters. They are valuable people. If they raise questions that offend, answer them anyway or ignore them -- but don't revile them. Skepticism on the Internet is a necessary evil.

Third, and this is what's really important to me:

While I do believe your story is true... I don't CARE if it isn't true. Because if it weren't true, it would merely be a mythologizing of circumstances that have surely occurred repeatedly throughout history. The way you told your story ensures it a place in our history, be it true or myth. And believe me, by the time this is esconced in the pantheon of Great Stories We Read on the Internet, there will always be a small or great number of people who scoff and dismiss it as myth -- how could it not be myth, when it is so fantastic and -- AND -- they read it on the Internet?

Think of some great Urban Myth. One you know is a myth.

What if it isn't? What if the only reason you KNOW it's a myth is because a certain faction of people spread... a MYTH... that the "Urban Myth" is a myth?

What if there is another Adam Prather out there, who told his tale -- his true tale, of a fantastical event in his life... and watched with fascination, possibly bitterness, as over the eyars his true story became labeled for all time a Great Urban Legend?

Does that render it any the less fantastic an experience for that other Adam? HE knows the truth. Presumably his friends and loved ones know it, too. Beyond that, he has shared his story with the universe; what the universe DOES with that story is no longer his business.

I hope what I've said -- particularly that last reason -- strikes home with you. EVERYTHING I said in my comment yesterday, far up th page, is still true.

love,
        Maryscott

Rage, rage, against the lying of the Right.

by Maryscott OConnor on Sat Mar 05, 2005 at 05:27:11 PM PST

•  Tell ya what (none)
        If this was fiction, it deserves a pulitzer.

And far better in effect that it was presented as true.

By and large, the art of storytelling has suffered, replaced by whiz-bang hollywood production factors. This was a prime example of the ancient craft.

I sniff this kind of thing out for a hobby. I believe this diary; stories told by dKos readers with "Rakkasan" in their user names, for instance, I did not believe.

However, many people enjoyed them, as did I. They would have made passable TV episodes. This one was worthy of a movie.

Yesterday we stood at the abyss; today we are taking a step forward.

by peeder on Sun Mar 06, 2005 at 01:57:47 AM PST

•  Please don't delete (none)
        One my favourite writers, Primo Levi, tells the story of the recurring dream he had while in Auschwitz. When he discusses his dream with his friend, his friend tells him he has the exact same dream and so did many others.

In the dream Levi tells the story of the horrors he has been subjected to, to his sister and some friends. But his sister gets up and turns her back towards him, and his friends do the same.

After the war the first time we find him telling his story to somebody he knows, the person tells him it is better not to speak about this. His nightmare became true.

Please do not delete this diary because some people question the validity.

This is your testimony in honnor of your grandfather and all the millions of others who lived through this hell, and they deserve their story to be told.

•  Being skeptical isn't necessarily natural (4.00)
      That concept just gets my goat.

Look at HeroicStories.com: http://www.HeroicStories.com . We've printed 596 stories more or less like this, since May 1999, two per week. Stories of people going out of their way to do something heroic for another person. No reward, no personal gain. Our stories aren't often "life or death", because life isn't often "life or death". They are "right place, right time", and "went the extra mile" stories.

Yet frequently when we publish a story, someone writes, "Oh, I don't believe this." Why on earth not? We research them. We call the authors. We toss out stories that are obviously college students trying to "fool" us with tall tales. (Repeat, those stories are obvious, a false tale rings false.)

Amprather poured his heart out to us. Why on earth is it incumbent upon us to tear him down or question him? Why should he justify his story?

Why would anyone think this is "unbelievable"? Newspapers publish accounts like this all the time. "Guideposts" (Norman Vincent Peale's publication) has published stories like this for over 50 years. (Sappy and with a religious bent, but true.)

What is it about humans that has to  gang up on success or bliss or blinding insight to reduce it to rubble?

What could possibly be more logical, than that sooner or later, connections like amprather and BettyG would in fact happen? (Mathmatically: two grandfathers, say 32-60 relatives on each side in this generation close enough to know the story well.)

OK, rant off. I suppose it's likely that my perspective on the world is changed by reading HeroicStories for the last five years. Oh, I know it's changed me. Other people say that's true for them. Daily media feeds a dose of  "Crooks and bad guys are everywhere", "Horrible things are happening everywhere", "Fear the other", "Be depressed and huddle in your bunker" into my consciousness.    How could reading stories of what's right about people and the world not change us?

If you'd like a little balance in your worldview, HeroicStories is there, free subscription, 52 weeks a year. Not every story is a knock-out like this one. But over time they stand up for what's right about humanity, and restore balance in our worldviews, and a sense of pride in what we're all capable of.

by AllisonInSeattle on Sat Mar 05, 2005 at 01:26:24 PM PST

•  Skepticism can be important (none)
        I mean sure skepticism can be annoying, but it also can find a fraud or strengthen a truth...

It's hard not to be a little skeptical...  I mean you have frauds popping up around huge tragedies...

In this case I agree that skepticism is a little unneccesary...  and really sidetracks from the diaries point that we should never forget...

"children of the gone lost and forgotten, minds rotten The arcade shot em, Channel Zero on the TV got em" PE

by chrissabian on Sun Mar 06, 2005 at 11:49:26 AM PST

• Recommended (148)
  • Community (68)
  • Elections (34)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • Environment (30)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Labor (23)
  • Economy (20)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Josh Duggar (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site