View Diary: Rachel Maddow Beats Hannity's Media Bias Special (73 comments)

•  wish I was surprised. (3+ / 0-)
    salmo, msmacgyver, Mother Mags

saw that last night, it caught my ear, then I muttered...makes perfect sense. I wonder if Blanche Lincoln signed on too.

The Republicans want the government small enough to fit only in my pants and my doctor's office. Oh, and war. Also.

by lexalou on Tue Apr 26, 2011 at 06:35:38 AM PDT

•  IMO, Norquist's Pledge is extortion (4+ / 0-)

and hopefully his long running feud with Coburn will chip away at his hold on the GOPers.

Grover Norquist

"My ideal citizen is the self-employed, homeschooling, IRA-owning guy with a concealed-carry permit. Because that person doesn't need the goddamn government for anything," he said describing members of the "Leave-Us-Alone Coalition". (IRA is the acronym for Individual Retirement Account, a privately held superannuation account).

Grover Norquist Claims Tom Coburn ‘Lied His Way’ Into Office
      4/25/11

There are plenty of compromises to be made that don’t include the worst of both worlds. They will almost always sacrifice ideology to one degree or another because people are bound to disagree. If this were a dictatorship, you know, it would be much easier as our last president said. But it’s not.

Tom Coburn is willing to make those compromises because he’s a good-government Republican, not simply an ideologue like Norquist. If this spat leads to the marginalization of Norquist and his inflexible tax pledge that would be great but I don’t think it’s going to happen. But Coburn doesn’t have much to worry about either. After all, he doesn’t face re-election until 2016. I imagine he can wait out the Tea Party and Norquist. The real question is whether there’s any room left to hammer out a deal.

May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. George Carlin

by msmacgyver on Tue Apr 26, 2011 at 07:22:23 AM PDT

•  The "tax pledge" is a pledge never to (1+ / 0-)
        msmacgyver

make a decision, which is what we elect our representatives to do, and that is to make decisions for the public good, and to match public resources to public needs.

If the public need requires the accumulation of more public resources through the taxing power we people delegated or our legislatures, and our elected representatives have taken a pledge to preclude an option that they legitimately have, and it is clearly stipulated in the US and every state constitution that the state and national legislatures have both the power and obligation to match needs to resources by raising taxes if necessary, then the legislator who took the pledge is abrogating his/her responsibility to do the people's business.

It is my view that a politician who takes the tax or any other pledge, that he/she has disqualfied him/herself from the office they seek.

If the politician has taken the politically and intellectually lazy way out, and refuses to assume the responsibility of the office, then they are simply unqualified.

Every politician brags about being the one who will make the "hard decision" is lying if they have already taken a pledge to avoid the hard decision.  This again, is a disqualification.

Republicans are like alligators. All mouth and no ears.

by Ohiodem1 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 at 08:47:44 AM PDT

•  I agree completely ... (2+ / 0-)
          rb608, Ohiodem1

Lawrence O'Donnell is giving this a lot of coverage and has praised Coburn who signed the Pledge but apparently either regrets it or intends to force others to join him.

I agree that signing the Pledge should disqualify anyone from taking office and hopefully this very long term hostage situation will end.

May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. George Carlin

by msmacgyver on Tue Apr 26, 2011 at 09:57:40 AM PDT

•  Last August, when John Kasich (1+ / 0-)
            msmacgyver

was running for Ohio Governor, I took him to task for taking the pledge here.

I think I laid out a cogent argument then, as well.

Republicans are like alligators. All mouth and no ears.

by Ohiodem1 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 at 10:06:42 AM PDT

•  Yes, your argument is the best I've read (1+ / 0-)
              Ohiodem1

and puts into words what I've been thinking myself.

I forwarded your above comment and the Diary to O'Donnell on Last Word, hope you don't object. email: thelastword@msnbc.com

He's on to this himself and if you caught his reference to the time he beat Norquist and got legislation passed, it was very evident that he'd like another crack at him...this time in a public forum, his own.

I've been aware of the Norquist influence for a long time but not until recently has it become apparent to me how dangerous and detrimental his Pledge is to the economy of the country.

Many thanks.

May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. George Carlin

by msmacgyver on Tue Apr 26, 2011 at 10:49:27 AM PDT

•  Mind? Hell no, I'm delighted! (1+ / 0-)
                msmacgyver

And thanks for the kind words.  It's every blogger's dream to be mentioned on a national broadcast.  Attribution is really wonderful, but if he only mentions the point I made, that is more than enough.

Republicans are like alligators. All mouth and no ears.

by Ohiodem1 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 at 02:53:49 PM PDT

•  Good! I hope he does, too... (1+ / 0-)
                  Ohiodem1

I'd always liked O'Donnell as a guest but was losing interest when he got his show.  Then when KO departed the scene and O'Donnell took over the time slot, I began to appreciate him for his many talents.

This is really a personal issue for him, IMO, and getting Norquist on the show was a sort of victory.  He handled it very well.

May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. George Carlin

by msmacgyver on Tue Apr 26, 2011 at 03:37:08 PM PDT

• Recommended (146)
  • Community (68)
  • Elections (34)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • Environment (30)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Labor (22)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Economy (19)
  • Josh Duggar (18)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site