View Diary: But Why Do We Bash Teachers? (180 comments)

•  There is no "moving forward"... (1+ / 3-)
    tnproud2b
    Hidden by:
    nosleep4u, ManhattanMan, zett

as long as our dimmest are our teachers.

There is no "basis" that will get dim people to accept the proposition that they're dim. They may be dim, but their self-interest is as strong as anyone else's. (And there's nothing per se wrong with that.)

I respect the education field enough that I want bright people in it - it's a sine qua non sort of thing (goes to your "utility"). And that, in addition to all of the usual reforms class size, salary, work hours, etc..

And I'm confident that I am in a significantly better position to assess what Enlightenment thinkers thought than just about anybody here. For example: it is certain that Enlightenment thinkers wouldn't stand around all day chirping "Respect me! Respect me!". They were busy with little things like constructing the intellectual pillars upon which Western thought rests.

Any comparison of Enlightenment thinkers to education majors is just plain dumb - no matter how good it may make education majors feel about themselves. May as well compare Gauss to a 4 year old playing xbox.

I'm gonna go eat a steak. And fuck my wife. And pray to GOD - hatemailapalooza, 052210

by punditician on Sun May 01, 2011 at 06:57:00 AM PDT

•  What Makes You Believe... (15+ / 0-)

...that our "dimmest" are teachers?

I don't think you read very well.  I do not compare teachers with Enlightenment thinkers, but say our educational system stems from the Enlightenment.

Finally, no real thinker bases statements on their own "position."  Instead, a real thinker bases statements on evidence and logic.

Look to yourself before calling our teachers "dim."

•  Hah. Reminds me of.... (0+ / 0-)

the (newly-minted) proverbial inbred. drooling, mentally incapacitated great^10 grandson of Richard the Lionhearted demanding respect because of who his great^10 grandfather is.

Pro tip: When you reference an august lineage, the educated person simply looks at you and thinks "damn, what the hell went wrong with THAT family"?

by punditician on Sun May 01, 2011 at 08:40:02 AM PDT

•  Present your credentials that (10+ / 0-)

prove the validity of this statement:

Mine?  Besides the BS in Political Science with several minors from the Dark Ages (i.e., late 70s/early 80s), the Masters, the ongoing study in a non-ed field (with ed implications) and continuing research and reading in areas which interest me...that range from neuroscience to skiing to early fur trade history in North America to environmental philosophy and the dynamics of space travel....shall I go on?

•  May As Well Add In Mine (7+ / 0-)

One of the areas of specialization I used to complete my PhD is Early American Literature.  Familiarity with the Enlightenment is a necessary component of that.  Furthermore, My book The Rise of the Blogosphere contains chapters centering on Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Paine, Alexander Hamilton, and Thomas Jefferson.  My research for that certainly increased my familiarity with the Enlightenment.

•  Eh... (0+ / 0-)

Some folks from a uni gave me a doctorate in that specific field a while back. They were even nice enough to give me an MS in maths - very generous folks. :)

And please, no. Don't go on.

by punditician on Sun May 01, 2011 at 08:42:15 AM PDT

•  Doctorate in History? Philosophy? (3+ / 0-)
          ubertar, middleagedhousewife, JanL

What was your dissertation?

Have you published?

•  You're better off ignoring punditician (11+ / 0-)

than engaging him. He's a troll on education issues, and a religious nut to boot.

"We can have concentrated wealth in the hands of a few or we can have democracy, but we can't have both."-- Justice Louis Brandeis

by ubertar on Sun May 01, 2011 at 09:42:24 AM PDT

•  Thanks (2+ / 0-)
              ubertar, Van Buren

It intrigues me, though, that he seems to think that, here on dKos at least, the Enlightenment belongs to him.

•  lolwut? (1+ / 0-)
              ubertar

I don't have a religious bone in my body.

I appreciate that you "true progressives" enjoy simply making shit up, but seriously - cmon.

by punditician on Sun May 01, 2011 at 10:41:41 AM PDT

•  maybe I'm mistaking you for someone else, then, (2+ / 0-)
                AaronBa, JanL

and if so, I apologize. But I could have sworn I've seen you in a number of theism vs. atheism diaries, arguing on the theist side. I don't know where you're getting the "true progressive" thing from. You are a bit of a troll when it comes to education-- you always say the same thing about teachers being dumb and poorly educated. You always get shot down by people who know better from direct experience, but you never learn. I don't think you're a deliberate troll-- you're probably a decent guy who's just set in his ways and loves to spout his opinions. I think we're all guilty of that to some degree, myself included. Have a conversation with a few young teachers and re-evaluate your opinion. You may be surprised.

by ubertar on Sun May 01, 2011 at 10:53:36 AM PDT

•  lolol! (0+ / 0-)

It's cute watching you continue to simply make shit up. I'm pretty sure they don't get any more a-religious than me (although there are plenty of ties).

I totally appreciate, however, that to the overwhelmingly large pro-stupidity lobby, advocacy for non-stupid teachers would count as "trolling". Thus, I don't criticize you for that perspective - it makes perfect sense, given your position.

by punditician on Sun May 01, 2011 at 11:00:55 AM PDT

•  I said if I was mistaking you for someone else, (2+ / 0-)
                    AaronBa, JanL

then I apologize-- ironic, though, that the comment I found where you said you were an atheist is a hidden comment:

by ubertar on Sun May 01, 2011 at 11:11:10 AM PDT

•  on the other hand, (2+ / 0-)
                      AaronBa, JanL

in this comment, you imply atheists are idiots. Are you calling yourself an idiot?

by ubertar on Sun May 01, 2011 at 11:14:28 AM PDT

•  Oh lawd please make teh stupid stop. (0+ / 0-)

One time, slowly, for the dim:

Lots of people are idiots, both religious and not. Jettisoning religion from one's bag of tricks is only a vaccination against idiocy due to religion. There are a jillion other ways to be an idiot, with more being discovered daily.

I leave it as an exercise for the reader to discover what "per se" means.

by punditician on Sun May 01, 2011 at 11:29:22 AM PDT

•  I get what you were saying in that post (1+ / 0-)
                          AaronBa

now-- when you said, "There are plenty of other ways to be an idiot." you meant, "besides being religious", not "besides being atheist". I would have deleted my comment if I could. "Per se" doesn't necessarily have any bearing on how to read your post-- it could be that you like idiots. It wouldn't surprise me. :)
                          Anyhow, I'm glad we agree on issues of religion and atheism, and I'm not sure how I got the wrong idea about you on that. There must be someone else on here with a similar handle. You are something of a troll when it comes to education, and a bit of an arrogant ass as well. But that's ok. As they say: "See ya. Wouldn't want to be ya". :)

by ubertar on Sun May 01, 2011 at 11:51:51 AM PDT

•  Philosophy. (1+ / 0-)
            BoxNDox

Dissertation was phil lang, mostly about Rorty and a bunch of other people you've never heard of.

I left the field soon after, going in the math direction. (I prefer working with people who ACTUALLY solve problems more than people who only TALK about solving problems lols.)

by punditician on Sun May 01, 2011 at 10:40:43 AM PDT

•  Read My Books (2+ / 0-)
              bkamr, cardinal

In them, you'll see Richard Rorty both quoted and discussed.  If you want to see a book review I wrote with Rorty mentioned in the first paragraph, You can.

Your assumption that others have not read what you have is rather presumptuous.

Also, your field, clearly, is NOT the Enlightenment.  By your own admission.  Please don't claim expertise when you don't have it.

By the way: I am surprised that anyone who has studied Rorty can be as closed-minded as you.  What, for example, do you mean by making the distinction you do, between thinking and doing?  Are you saying that Rorty did not do?  Are you saying that thought is not, in itself, valuable?

Inquiring minds want to know.

•  (facepalm) Uh.... no. (1+ / 0-)
                BoxNDox

I try to avoid 2nd rate thinkers. But thanks.

And yah uh.... Since they don't have a Department Of Enlightenment, (western) philosophy is what serves as proxy for that being my field. Dumb to say different.

I have no idea what you're babbling about re: thinking and doing. My guess is that you're trying to be uberprophilosoperdude. On that topic, I recommend less talking, and more reading Sellars.

Pro tip: Being anti-stupid is not the same as being "closed minded". lols

by punditician on Sun May 01, 2011 at 11:10:49 AM PDT

•  Oh, Please (1+ / 0-)
                  cassidy3

You, who couldn't make it in academia, calling anyone "second rate"?

Rorty, et al were NOT part of the Enlightenment.  Ergo, the Enlightenment was not your primary field.

The Enlightenment, by the way, does not belong to Philosophy.  Political Science, History, Literature, and more also study it, and contribute to understanding of it.  I also have a degree in Philosophy, though an undergraduate one.  My specialty was symbolic logic; never would I have then claimed more than passing familiarity with the Enlightenment (that came later).

You, yourself, made the thinking/doing distinction.  Don't ask me what you meant by it.  Do that on your own.

As to being anti-stupid... how can you position yourself that way when your comments are so dumb?

Oh, and wrong.

•  A DKos Exclusive: Rorty Throwdown!!! (6+ / 0-)

This could get ugly, folks!

Please, tell us more, both of you!

No, better yet -- tell us less!

•  (sigh) (1+ / 0-)
                    BoxNDox

I didn't claim that Rorty was part of the Enlightenment (what an asinine thing to attribute to someone lols). I do, however, appreciate my error: one would have to be familiar with PMN, and deeply familiar with what it talks about, to see the relevance. I suppose I also assumed at least a basic knowledge of just what goes into a a (western) philosophy doctorate's education. (shrug) Presupposing knowledge is often a recipe for tears. Usually I'm better on that score - my apologies.

And I did "make" it in academia. A fair number of us just decide we want to do something else (and are able to).

(Full disclosure: I did, however decide I wasn't good enough at maths to be more than a middlin' level Ph.D. in math (those guys are crazy smart), so I said screw it, and just went to straight to work in the field.)

and LOLOL at "undergraduate specialty in symbolic logic". Please, just stop, dude. Congratulations on learning how to apply Conditional Proof, though. You should be aware, however, that the field goes somewhat beyond that.

I don't recall placing any weight on thinking vs. doing, but I'll take your word for it. (shrug)

by punditician on Sun May 01, 2011 at 11:54:37 AM PDT

•  please dont feed the troll (2+ / 0-)
                    AaronBa, Mostel26

ty

i did, and Im sorry for it.

We all have photographic memories. Some people just don't have any film.

by fireflynw on Sun May 01, 2011 at 12:26:49 PM PDT

•  oh my hipster alert LOL (3+ / 0-)
              AaronBa, cardinal, Mostel26
              and a bunch of other people you've never heard of.

LOL

I assume you can afford your own cheap black frames, yes?

And we sail and we sail and we never see land, just the rum in the bottle and a pipe in my hand...

by Mortifyd on Sun May 01, 2011 at 02:28:39 PM PDT

•  As far as dimmest and respect (7+ / 0-)

I blame  parents who don't  teach their children to respect their teachers .
        In my opinion education is better than in the past.
        The biggest problem with our education system ,respect for teachers and civility in the classroom, is much worse.
       Anyone familiar with school systems  knows too well, unenlightened parents who blame the teachers, when their darling perfect  little angels are disciplined.

•  HR for the right-wing meme (4+ / 0-)

of teacher's being incompetent and self-serving.

"What could BPossibly go wrong??" -RLMiller "God is just pretend." - eru

by nosleep4u on Sun May 01, 2011 at 10:54:13 AM PDT

•  I don't think it's reasonable... (4+ / 0-)

...to say that the 4,000,000 with college degrees (many of them advanced degrees) are "dim".

It's a nasty insult, and one that doesn't help promote reform. It should be walked back.

AaronBa, virginwoolf, bkamr, Tookish

the point of this thread.

How do you know they are the dimmest? Have you been to an Ed.class lately?   Do you know their GPA's?  Do you know what each and every one of them does to further the learning environment of their students? The extra classes they take? To knowingly go into a field of work that will earn them little respect?

Our society worships those who make a lot of money, regardless of their intelligence.  If teaching was a high paying job, teachers would be admired, and even the worst would have excuses made for them (see professional sports.)

We all have photographic memories. Some people just don't have any film.

by fireflynw on Sun May 01, 2011 at 12:24:05 PM PDT

•  You mention tht the "dim" have a particularly (6+ / 0-)

hard time imagining themselves as being dim.  Are you  alluding to the Dunning-Kruger effect?

Kruger and Dunning proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:
          tend to overestimate their own level of skill;
          fail to recognize genuine skill in others;
          fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;
          recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they can be trained to substantially improve.

Simply put, dim people not only don't recognize they are dim, but also they tend to overestimate their own brilliance while being unable to recognize others who actually are brilliant.  (Think the Donald.)

Furthermore, the Dunning-Kruger effect continues:

Meanwhile, people with true ability tended to underestimate their relative competence. Roughly, participants who found tasks to be relatively easy erroneously assumed, to some extent, that the tasks must also be easy for others.

Simply put, truly brilliant people seem to underestimate their own abilities, or at least, have a pretty humble view of themselves and rather generous assumptions of others

Looking at your comment regarding the "dimness" of all those in the teaching profession, you seem to hold an extraordinarily high opinion of yourself:

Plutocracy (noun) Greek ploutokratia, from ploutos wealth; 1) government by the wealthy; 2) 21st c. U.S.A.; 3) 22nd c. The World

by bkamr on Sun May 01, 2011 at 01:32:28 PM PDT

• Recommended (141)
  • Community (70)
  • Civil Rights (26)
  • Elections (26)
  • Environment (26)
  • Media (25)
  • Culture (25)
  • Law (24)
  • Memorial Day (24)
  • Science (23)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (22)
  • Labor (21)
  • Economy (20)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Rescued (19)
  • Marriage Equality (18)
  • Climate Change (17)
  • Republicans (17)
  • Education (17)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site