View Diary: DK Elections Daily Digest: 5/3 (343 comments)

•  Kucinich (5+ / 0-)
    davybaby, Kretzy, flhiii88, LordMike, tietack

O.M.G. I'm dying on the inside.

Perhaps this is a clue as to what the Republicans in Ohio are thinking?

Kucinish is thinking of not running for reelection in Ohio, but for the new district in Washington.

21, Conservative Gay Democrat, TX-23 (School), TX-10 (Home); SSP: wmayes

by wwmiv on Tue May 03, 2011 at 06:16:42 AM PDT

•  Shameless carpetbagging (5+ / 0-)
      davybaby, karenc, flhiii88, tietack, jncca

What in hell could Kucinich offer Washingtonians?

by HoosierD42 on Tue May 03, 2011 at 06:28:29 AM PDT

•  . (6+ / 0-)

This is worse than just carpetbagging. This is carpetbagging and pure political self-interest.

I cannot imagine a worse person to represent Washington.

21, Conservative Gay Democrat, TX-23 (School), TX-10 (Home); SSP: wmayes

by wwmiv on Tue May 03, 2011 at 06:30:31 AM PDT

•  A chance to vote against him... (5+ / 0-)
        davybaby, flhiii88, sawolf, tietack, jncca

In something other than one of his vanity runs at the presidency?

Independent, Auckland Central resident, MD-05 voter, OR-01 native, Swingnut for life.

by SaoMagnifico on Tue May 03, 2011 at 06:37:38 AM PDT

•  What's the deal with Kucinich? Why is he so (0+ / 0-)

disliked?  I get tin cup emails from him regularly.

"The worst that can happen to any group of people working to unseat an existing power base is their failure to imagine the lengths to which those in power will go to keep it." Cognitive Dissonance at Zero Hedge

by CarolinNJ on Tue May 03, 2011 at 06:49:21 AM PDT

•  . (2+ / 0-)
            flhiii88, tietack

Because he isn't exactly electable anywhere besides his own district and he doesn't play well with independents.

21, Conservative Gay Democrat, TX-23 (School), TX-10 (Home); SSP: wmayes

by wwmiv on Tue May 03, 2011 at 06:50:33 AM PDT

•  That's it? I've read about Kucinich's egomania (0+ / 0-)

elsewhere, but that trait goes with the territory.  More on that comment about not playing well with independents?  I'm not up on Kucinich, good or bad.  He never seemed like a power player to me, just a politician with a liberal seeming bent and a gift for generating publicity.

by CarolinNJ on Tue May 03, 2011 at 06:58:46 AM PDT

•  He's perceived as being a self-serving douche (8+ / 0-)

He regularly grandstands on ideological grounds, even when it makes his party and his president look bad. His constituent service is reportedly abysmal. His head is in the clouds; I can't remember the last time he was actually involved in sponsoring or critically supporting a viable, productive bill. And he seems more focused on running for president every four years than he does on representing Cleveland or working for the common good of either the Democratic Party or the progressive movement.

by SaoMagnifico on Tue May 03, 2011 at 06:54:04 AM PDT

•  About constituent service. I agree it's part of (0+ / 0-)

representing.  But former(thank god) Senator Pothole, D'Amato, that is, was reportedly great on constituent service and otherwise an abomination.  His constituent service is probably a large part of what kept him in office so long, three, eighteen years, terms long.  He was replaced by Schumer, of whom Hillary Clinton once joked, "He doesn't see why we need two senators from New York."

by CarolinNJ on Tue May 03, 2011 at 07:07:46 AM PDT

•  Dennis had great constituent service... (0+ / 0-)

In fact, he'd help anyone from anywhere in the state who needed help.  I realize that national folks think he's a joke, but even local republican leaders respect the guy 'cos he's true to himself and cannot be bought at any price.

GODSPEED TO THE WISCONSIN FOURTEEN!

by LordMike on Tue May 03, 2011 at 10:01:45 AM PDT

•  Why don't you move here and run against him? (0+ / 0-)

And be the next corporate- and Republican- backed "Democrat" to be trounced in the primary by the constituents that he doesn't serve,know it all from Bumfuck?Golly,who is it that's trying to eliminate his district,you New Zealander that knows oh so fucking much about what goes on here in Kucinich's district?

•  Calm Down (0+ / 0-)

Can you please be nice?

21, Conservative Gay Democrat, TX-23 (School), TX-10 (Home); SSP: wmayes

by wwmiv on Wed May 04, 2011 at 04:24:47 AM PDT

•  Calm,nice,Conservative.Plannng on working for Oba- (1+ / 1-)
                  cville townie
                  Hidden by:
                  twohundertseventy

ma,right?

•  We welcome reasonable conservatives here too (4+ / 0-)
                    wwmiv, SaoMagnifico, BeloitDem, jncca

The most crucial thing to know about DKE is that our mantra is politics not policy. That is to say, we stay laser-focused on the process and outcome of the electoral horserace, and we avoid debates about policy issues. This isn't to say policy questions never come up, but when they do, it's in the context of how they'll affect what happens on the campaign trail.

To take a classic example, when the healthcare fight was being waged on Capitol Hill, many Democrats disagreed as to whether the final legislation should include a public insurance option. At our predecessor site, we steered clear of this question and instead asked a more specific one: What would the electoral consequences be if the bill did—or did not—include a public option? In other words, the electoral implications of various policy choices are fair game.

We also try hard to separate out our personal preferences from our analysis. DKE is a progressive, Democratic site, and we never hide our partisan leanings. But while we root for Team Blue, we aren't cheerleaders: If the news is bad for us or good for the other side, we won't hesitate to report on it, and we'll give clear-eyed analysis no matter what.

I hope; therefore, I can live.

by tietack on Wed May 04, 2011 at 06:30:40 AM PDT

•  Hey there, asshole. (0+ / 0-)

Put the booze away and enjoy a donut instead.

•  Appreciate the sentiment (0+ / 0-)

And the donut was warranted, but I'd prefer if we didn't sling insults in return.

Political Director, Daily Kos

by David Nir on Wed May 04, 2011 at 09:39:14 PM PDT

•  Oh, so this is different on DKE too? (1+ / 0-)
                        tietack

Because I'm not that new here, and this is how trolls are dealt with on the main page.

•  I think David is pushing a higher standard (1+ / 0-)
                          wwmiv

And I think it's appropriate until bumps in the transition are addressed. Nevertheless, I think it's great that SSPers are all helping defend each other.

I hope; therefore, I can live.

by tietack on Thu May 05, 2011 at 07:02:56 AM PDT

•  I'd rather we give donuts where appropriate (1+ / 0-)
                          BeloitDem

But avoid calling people "assholes" or whatnot.

Political Director, Daily Kos

by David Nir on Thu May 05, 2011 at 08:12:03 AM PDT

•  . (0+ / 0-)

What is a donut? Should it be added to the terms glossary?

21, Nice Calm Burkean Post-Modern Gay Democrat, NM-2 (Childhood), TX-23 (School), TX-10 (Home); SSP: wmayes

by wwmiv on Thu May 05, 2011 at 08:38:03 AM PDT

•  Good call (0+ / 0-)

So, a donut is the same as giving a comment a "Hide" rating. The origin of the name is that many years ago, there was a comment rating system that went from 0 to 4. (Originally it went to five!) No one ever really used 2 or 3 (except for one weird guy named Carl Nyberg who was banned long ago). But "zeroes" were the equivalent of today's "Hide" ratings and were called "Troll" ratings. (We changed the name because the term was too fraught, and we wanted to make it clearer what the intent of the button was.)

So a zero of course resembles a donut. I have no idea who initially named it that way, but people started calling them "donuts," and it's stuck, long after zeroes went away. Kind of like "dailing" a phone!

Political Director, Daily Kos

by David Nir on Thu May 05, 2011 at 09:20:35 AM PDT

•  I think you're going to find that your tone... (4+ / 0-)
                wwmiv, BeloitDem, David Nir, jncca

Is unwelcome here. I'd also encourage you to apologize to wwmiv, who has shared quite candidly his ideology, background, and obstacles he has faced with this community, of which he is an established and well-respected member. You, on the other hand, are not.

As for Rep. Kucinich, because Ohio has to eliminate two districts in this round of redistricting, it's considered tremendously likely that he will be deathmatched with Rep. Sutton. A few months ago, I would have said that race was anyone's game; I think Kucinich really scored a major own goal with his comments about impeaching President Obama, and I expect Sutton will get the backing of the Democratic establishment if Kucinich tries to primary her. In my opinion, good riddance.

As for being from "Bumfuck", I am happy to report that the population of Portland, Oregon, my hometown, is almost 200,000 people larger than Cleveland. We may not be a standalone city in AP datelines, but I really do worry if you haven't heard of it. (Auckland, if you're curious, has a population of 1.35 million.)

by SaoMagnifico on Wed May 04, 2011 at 04:26:01 AM PDT

•  Heheh (7+ / 0-)

Of course we get this on our first day at DKE. :)

I'm just teasing. I think the main objection to Kucinich is that he seems to put his personal pet issues ahead of consensus-building and actually working for change - that he's driven by ego rather than a desire to get things done. He's never been a team player and has few friends in the party. He also seems to be something of an opportunist, swapping out his life-long anti-choice record for supposedly pro-choice views just before he sought the presidency in 2004. Convenient!

Some people admire him for his lonely crusades, but I think a lot of people wish he'd find a way to accomplish real goals rather than (just) grandstand. Maybe it's unjust that we live in a world where ideas like a Department of Peace are greeted with instant scorn, but that's just reality, and Kucinich making that a signature issue of his isn't going to change that reality. If politics is the art of the possible, Kucinich seems interested in the art of the impossible, and that's a turn off to people who want to solve real problems.

I really hope we can avoid a pro-Kuchinich/anti-Kucinich flame war on our very first day, though! Pretty please? :)

Political Director, Daily Kos

by David Nir on Tue May 03, 2011 at 06:56:14 AM PDT

•  Count me anti (1+ / 0-)
              SaoMagnifico

but only since the whole "Libya Impeachment" bullshit. Before that I was generally pro. I think we'll find, though, that the super-pro-Kucinich folks are mostly the same group as the super-anti-Obama folks, so this flame war could be, well, super. He is precisely the kind of "leader" they have been demanding that the President should be. Earnest to a fault, loudly opinionated, and utterly useless at getting anything done, because nothing's ever good enough.

The President exemplifies a diametrically opposite approach. Pragmatic to a fault, quietly subtle, and happy to get 80% and give up another 20% on top of that, because even 60% is 10% better than 50%, and if you can do that often enough, you hit 110% pretty quickly, it turns out.

•  Completely agreed (1+ / 0-)
                the tmax

I found Rep. Kucinich to be somewhat amusing, albeit frequently over-the-top and generally ineffectual, up until March.

You don't call for the leader of your party to be impeached for joining a UN mandate to prevent a massacre.

by SaoMagnifico on Tue May 03, 2011 at 10:09:33 PM PDT

•  Why is Kucinich so disliked? (1+ / 0-)
            tietack

Because he's a fucking asshole?

•  I'd prefer we avoid rhetoric like this (4+ / 0-)
              RoIn, Goobergunch, gabjoh, jncca

I think Carolin was asking a genuine question, and I don't think this helps answer that question, especially if the asker really isn't especially familiar with Kucinich.

I asked that we avoid a flame war about Kucinich, so I would appreciate your help with that. Thanks.

Political Director, Daily Kos

by David Nir on Tue May 03, 2011 at 07:01:16 AM PDT

•  OK. I'll play nice! (4+ / 0-)
                David Nir, gabjoh, tietack, jncca
              •  Thanx, David. I am asking. For specifics. There (0+ / 0-)

are, I'm sorry to say, fucking assholes I might vote for anyway, because I've come to understand that anyone who runs for office, at any level of government, and stays in office has personal issues.  Huge ego, impenetrably know-it-all, entitlement, that sort of thing.  I've seen that at the boro council level, for heaven's sake.

You really have to regard politicians as useful or not useful.  Take Rob Andrews, for instance, my Rep.  Quiet guy, never seems to appear in the media unless it's something innocuous.  Answers every inquiry and comment.  Constituent service?  Couldn't prove it by me, and I've tried his local office a couple of times.  Legislation?  You're kidding, right?  The hard charging legislator in NJ is 89 year old Lautenberg.  Menendez isn't much on that ball, either.  Andrews personally is unreachable.  Seen any footage of Andrews at a town hall?  No, I haven't, either.  And you won't.  The guy is walled off, but he gets re-elected by substantial margins every time and he's been in office since 1990.  He's damn clever at keeping the image clean and low-key, which is how he stays out of trouble and in  office.  Oh, and he doesn't get along with the other NJ delegates.  He's disliked and distrusted.  I don't vote for him, anymore.  Tough finding other people to vote for, however.

by CarolinNJ on Tue May 03, 2011 at 07:29:19 AM PDT

•  Andrews a quiet guy? (1+ / 0-)
                  karenc

I'd never have thought of him that way - at least, not on account of his ridiculous primary challenge to Sen. Lautenberg in 2008. Useless, though, definitely. (Though there was an article on him in one of the Hill publications not long ago saying that he'd somehow found a way to become a team player and work his way into Nancy Pelosi's good graces.)

Political Director, Daily Kos

by David Nir on Tue May 03, 2011 at 07:37:42 AM PDT

•  I think there was a Lifetime movie about that (2+ / 0-)
                    karenc, tietack

And I'm pretty sure the adverts for it used "Salisbury Hill" as the soundtrack.

"Running With the Pack: The True Story of How a New Jersey Politician Got a New Lease on Life."

by SaoMagnifico on Tue May 03, 2011 at 07:46:07 AM PDT

•  Yeah, I read that, too. Funny, what? He is quiet (0+ / 0-)

in office.  Couldn't maintain that head down posture in a campaign for an office he hadn't held before and which is state-wide. Ran for governor a while back and lost that, too.  You ought to look at his House campaigns.  Let me know what you find, will you, because I'm in his district and I don't see much.  Andrews is another of those "fixtures" who has figured out how to appear to be doing a good job.  He's a very good politician, IOW.

Andrews is a cipher.  I think that's how he stays in office.  It's possible that if voters knew more about him, he'd stay in office, anyway, but he doesn't take that chance.  I'm just amazed at how personally inaccessible he is, and remains popular at the polls.

by CarolinNJ on Tue May 03, 2011 at 07:54:43 AM PDT

•  Not to mention he unsuccessfully primaried (3+ / 0-)
                  David Nir, tietack, jncca

Lautenberg, who saved NJ Democrats from either having to vote for Torrecelli when it was clear he was corrupt.

I did see Andrews speak once at a Morris County picnic after Lautenberg. The more dynamic person was Lautenberg, who was very very good - especially when speaking off the cuff about his youth in Patterson, where his dad worked in the unhealthly silk mills. He spoke of how his dad spoke of the filaments in the air they breathed and how that formed the basis of his support for unions and OSHA.  (A woman there spoke of her grandmother having known his family there - which started the incredible story.)  Andrews sounded like any articulate, well prepared middle manager or many politicians. I can't remember anything he said.

•  I recently heard Jim Florio speak and he was (1+ / 0-)
                    karenc

terrific.  He was right on point:  same old, same old isn't cutting it.  Time for new people with new ideas.  Didn't name any names, but didn't except anybody, either.  Being out of office is good for some people.

Amazing, isn't it, how someone can talk for 15 or 20 minutes and sound articulate while not saying anything of substance?  Honestly, are there classes for that?  In the Capitol basement?

by CarolinNJ on Tue May 03, 2011 at 08:34:41 AM PDT

•  I have to say this. Lautenberg doesn't look as (0+ / 0-)

good when you look at his votes.  Painful but true.

I really wonder about those surveys that purport to rate politicians on a right to left spectrum.  First off, I don't know how each survey compiles and categorizes and tabulates.  Methodology is everything.  Then someone like Andrews, speaking of, when he's asked to answer questions on policy, gives "ratings" from various advocacy groups.  Which means he slides right past the "state your opinion" part.  What the hell does a number from NARAL mean?  Or the Audubon Society?  Some organizations are known to be inept or ineffective or even co-opted.  I want Andrews OPINIONS.  But his opinions aren't there, just 100% from this org and 100% from that org.  Oh, sure, I'll take their word for it.

What I think happens is that politicians--sit down, please, this is going to shock you--have learned to game the ratings systems.  In an unweighted system, giving away some liberal goodies on small issues might rate the same as taking away on big issues, so you could skew the rating to drive your numbers one way or the other by voting for small deals here and there while thumping big issues on your real agenda.

The point is, you really have to unpack the votes to see how a politician leans and what his agenda is.  And that, I can tell you, is a lot of work, which is why most people just take the politician's word for it.  Here's another shock:  they lie.

by CarolinNJ on Tue May 03, 2011 at 01:31:51 PM PDT

•  He would need to resign first (1+ / 0-)
      tietack

Then relocate and campaign in Washington state. Even in the remote chance that he won he would start out with zero seniority.

•  Wrong (4+ / 0-)
        wwmiv, James Allen, gabjoh, tietack

if this story is even true, Kucinich would most likely retain his seniority if he won. Returning members of Congress (like Bass, Fitzpatrick and Chabot in 2010) got credit for their previous tenure when it came to seniority.

by HoosierD42 on Tue May 03, 2011 at 07:18:38 AM PDT

•  Seniority (1+ / 0-)
          gabjoh

Quoted from Wikipedia, with the standard proviso about its reliability inserted:

"Representatives who return to the House after having previously served in the House are credited with service equal to one less than the number of terms they served."

•  And should this happen (1+ / 0-)
            tietack

Kucinich wouldn't even be a "returning" member of congress, his tenure would be unbroken.

by HoosierD42 on Tue May 03, 2011 at 07:29:58 AM PDT

•  . (1+ / 0-)
              tietack

I'm not sure how this would work. It might be considered previous service just by virtue of being from a different state. However, it might be considered continual service as if he was simply redistricted to a different number within the same state.

To my knowledge, this exact scenario has not happened within the past half century.

21, Conservative Gay Democrat, TX-23 (School), TX-10 (Home); SSP: wmayes

by wwmiv on Tue May 03, 2011 at 07:34:22 AM PDT

•  Diaz-Balart (1+ / 0-)
                tietack

Mario switched districts in 2010 and I believe his seniority was untouched. He remained in Florida though. I can't imagine they'd negate any seniority Kucinch had gained just because he moved, he'd be a member of Congress continuously since '97

by HoosierD42 on Tue May 03, 2011 at 07:39:42 AM PDT

•  . (0+ / 0-)

That was within state. I'm talking wholesale move to a different state immediately and win the election to that new state's district.

21, Conservative Gay Democrat, TX-23 (School), TX-10 (Home); SSP: wmayes

by wwmiv on Tue May 03, 2011 at 07:41:33 AM PDT

•  I did mention that. (0+ / 0-)

"He remained in Florida though."

That was just the only example I could think of.

by HoosierD42 on Tue May 03, 2011 at 07:45:49 AM PDT

•  I don't see there would be much of an (1+ / 0-)
                    tietack

important difference between changing states or not.  You are still changing the legal title of the Representative of OH-10, OH-13, or WA-10; all different, regardless of state.  And if we look to redistricting changes where representatives change districts all over the place while maintaing seniority, Kucinich should be fine seniority wise.  The seniority lies more in the person rather than the district they represent.

And just as an overall comment to this story; dumb.  Who moves across the country to maintain a Congressional seat?  The article mentions him receiving letters of support to run in roughly 20 different districts.  Ok, that sounds like national fans saying "try running here because you're fantastic and blah blah blah."  I'm sure when push comes to shove, the respective party apparatus of each state will say, ha, you're joking right?, and it'll turn out he'll have an easier shot in OH.  And he doesn't even do that well in his own district so he'd probably lose a new WA-10, anyway.

(Just changed "the Dems" to "us" because I'm at DKE.  Fantastic.)

•  And for him (1+ / 0-)
                  SaoMagnifico

They didn't even have to change the signs on the door. Still read "Diaz-Balart." :)

Political Director, Daily Kos

by David Nir on Tue May 03, 2011 at 07:41:46 AM PDT

•  I don't think we need to worry too hard (0+ / 0-)

About what would happen if this happened... cuz it ain't gonna happen!

Political Director, Daily Kos

by David Nir on Tue May 03, 2011 at 07:40:34 AM PDT

•  Well, if Rep. Kucinich perfects the technology... (3+ / 0-)
                  gabjoh, tietack, jncca

He can always pull his part of the Cleve up from out of the ground, fly it across the country with his Airship of Dreams, and drop it down into the Strait of Juan de Fuca somewhere. I'm sure he can make it fit.

by SaoMagnifico on Tue May 03, 2011 at 07:55:35 AM PDT

•  For that to happen he would have to be a resident (0+ / 0-)

of both places on election day - and likely before. I don't think someone can run without being a resident - nor do I think that he could continue representing a district after he changed his residence.

•  He could pull a Lugar or a Bono Mack (0+ / 0-)

And list a Cleveland residence while not actually living there.

23, liberal democrat, DKE Gay Caucus Majority Whip, IN-02 (home), IN-03 (birth), SC-03 (early childhood), IN-09 (college); Swingnut

by HoosierD42 on Tue May 03, 2011 at 08:30:51 AM PDT

•  Lugar? (0+ / 0-)

The difference is that he is declaring his residency to be two places.

What you are saying Lugar and Bono Mach did was to declare an address in their state where they really were not living. (Wasn't that an issue with Santorum as well?)

•  My bad (1+ / 0-)
                    karenc

Lugar claiming his residence as a family farm while only staying hotels when in state is a bad press day, but not on the same level as Bono Mack living in Florida with her fellow congressman husband.

by HoosierD42 on Tue May 03, 2011 at 09:09:55 AM PDT

•  Bono Mack really is a complex situation (0+ / 0-)

There have been other marriages - including the parents of Chelsea Clinton's husband's parents ( I can't remember the names).

In her case, I assume she keeps an apartment or something in her district. It does mean that they likely rarely see their congresswoman and she likely has progressively less contact with people there. One would think,at some point, that they may vote her out.

•  Mezvinsky (1+ / 0-)
                        jncca

Marjorie Margolies Mezvinsky was a rep. from PA that lost in '94 because she cast the decisive vote for Clinton's budget. Her husband Edward Mezvinsky was a rep. from Iowa.

21, Conservative Gay Democrat, TX-23 (School), TX-10 (Home); SSP: wmayes

by wwmiv on Tue May 03, 2011 at 09:21:28 AM PDT

•  Lautenberg didn't (0+ / 0-)

- and in his case the caucus owed him big time - as he came in in the last minute to save the state from possibly getting a Republican if Torrecelli's problems expanded more.

•  New Washinton Distrct (7+ / 0-)

So the state of Washington gains a seat in Congress and all the people who have been involved with the party in the sate are supposed to take a pass at running for this seat so that Kucinich can waltz in from Ohio and have it?

I'm not up on the intricacies of Washington state politics, but I can't imagine that happening.

•  Doesn't your district or state (0+ / 0-)

have to lean very heavily to one side and/or don't you have to be a pretty big star in order for this to work? I don't think either of those would apply to this situation with Kucinich, so I am kind of baffled about what he's thinking.

• Recommended (120)
  • Community (56)
  • Elections (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Media (22)
  • Law (21)
  • Environment (21)
  • Culture (21)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Science (19)
  • Labor (18)
  • Marriage Equality (16)
  • Ireland (16)
  • Economy (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Bernie Sanders (15)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • Hillary Clinton (15)
  • Health Care (14)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site