View Diary: Welcome to Daily Kos Elections! (DKE Mission Statement) (106 comments)

•  That's correct. (1+ / 0-)
    kj in missouri

It should be the same for everyone seeing this diary.

There can be no left-of-center if the left is in the center.
    Have you seen a pest, critter, or bug? You need KosBusters!

by Gabriel D on Tue May 03, 2011 at 09:15:46 AM PDT

•  Hmm (1+ / 0-)
      kj in missouri

So I think this is a feature and not a bug - and probably one coded into the site at a fairly deep level. I'm not sure that the DKE blogroll can appear in the sidebar of any post, because when you click through a post, the sidebar necessarily features the content attached to that user, not the group they posted to. What I can do (and what I'll ask the other admins to do) is to recreate the DKE blogroll in our personal blogrolls. That should make for a more uniform experience.

I'm still learning new things about this site every day! And I've been here for about one bajillion years in blog time. So thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Political Director, Daily Kos

by David Nir on Tue May 03, 2011 at 09:48:28 AM PDT

•  Right, but.... (1+ / 0-)
        kj in missouri

I wouldn't necessarily want the group blogroll showing up as part of my own. That would be confusing. Some people are in multiple groups, so their blogroll will appear to change depending on what group their publishing to, or it will contain the blogrolls of all the groups they're members of, depending on how this is implemented.

And if the devs can append the group blogroll to your own, they can probably just add the group blogroll separately in the first place.

There can be no left-of-center if the left is in the center.
        Have you seen a pest, critter, or bug? You need KosBusters!

by Gabriel D on Tue May 03, 2011 at 10:52:57 AM PDT

•  The thing is (1+ / 0-)
          kj in missouri

I'm not sure how this would work. Imagining things on a programming level in a very basic way, do you want it to go:

• If diary posted on DKE, then display DKE blogroll when clicking through to read diary?

Sounds simple enough, but what if the diary gets published on the FP (which often happens with diaries here)? What blogroll would a user see then, if they clicked through? Wouldn't they be confused if they saw the DKE blogroll there?

Political Director, Daily Kos

by David Nir on Tue May 03, 2011 at 11:24:58 AM PDT

•  The blogroll that would be seen would be (1+ / 0-)
            kj in missouri

the one to which it was initially published. (In your case, DKE.) I don't think it would even be possible to add the blogroll of the republlishing group, but even if it were, that would be very bad since multiple groups can republish the same diary. Which blogroll would show up? The latest? All of them?

Keep it to the initial group published to, assuming it was published to a group in the first place.

I don't think it would be confusing. The group the diary was initially published to always shows up at the top of the diary, right under the diary title. It's right next to the name of the diary author. (by [author] for [group])

In any event, we run into the exact same issue if we append the group blogroll to the user blogroll. Some users belong to many multiple groups (look at Meteor Blades as an example). How do you decide which of those groups' blogrolls should be appended? And then what if the diary gets republished by another group?

There can be no left-of-center if the left is in the center.
            Have you seen a pest, critter, or bug? You need KosBusters!

by Gabriel D on Tue May 03, 2011 at 11:49:07 AM PDT

•  Oh, and (3+ / 0-)

you're welcome!

I'm a KosBuster. That's part of what I do. :)

There can be no left-of-center if the left is in the center.
        Have you seen a pest, critter, or bug? You need KosBusters!

by Gabriel D on Tue May 03, 2011 at 10:54:41 AM PDT