View Diary: Economic Terrorism and Krugman's Latest: "The clear and present danger...is what is happening now." (267 comments)

•  On the money... (4+ / 0-)
    the people who control this government know very well that what needs to be done to fix the economy

Anyone who subscribes Milton Friedman's school of unfettered capitalism knows you have to destroy any current economy to create a new "perfect" model of free markets. This is happening right now in the US.

No one ever died from laughing too often

by googie on Fri May 06, 2011 at 07:14:14 AM PDT

•  "Free market" worship will get us the (6+ / 0-)

ultimate financial collapse.  We've known for 600 years that "free markets" do not work and that proper regulation to keep them within bounds of honesty and proportion are necessary for their own health.

The robber barons of today do not care.  Their money is so vast, they can manipulate the collapse on the way down for profits and again on the way up for profits.

Give them a "free market" and they'll come running to government for a bailout.

We've seen the exact proof of this in the latest collapse:   Private Profits; Public Debt/Losses.

Are our leaders today too stupid to see that?

I very much doubt it.  They are very well educated (unlike the previous administration) and worldly.  The last thing they are is naive.

I believe they know exactly what they are doing: helping enrich their friends at the country club, the old college 'house', at the exclusive men's club.  Consciously or subconsciously, that's what they are doing.  I'd apply that comment to this administration as well: they know what they are doing and don't care about the rest of us.

Progress occurs when courageous, skillful leaders seize the opportunity to change things for the better. -- Harry S Truman

by YucatanMan on Fri May 06, 2011 at 09:58:56 AM PDT

•  I agree with you up to a point... (1+ / 0-)
        YucatanMan

I DO believe in this president. The "Country-Club-Frat-Boy-Exclusives" are all guaranteed free-market "Ayn Randian" capitalists who don't give a rat's behind about anything but their almighty bank account. They sure as sh*t don't care about you or me, and that's why I'M fighting to get rid of the b@stards!

No one ever died from laughing too often

by googie on Fri May 06, 2011 at 11:08:23 AM PDT

•  I can only go by what this president's actions (3+ / 0-)

show me.

Belief is a matter of faith.  I really need to see action to see what the president believes. I would never fault him for fighting and losing a fight.  But failing to fight is a big failing.

People won't vote for someone who won't fight to help them. So, actions are needed and actions must be evident to help the president's re-election chances.

by YucatanMan on Fri May 06, 2011 at 12:01:33 PM PDT

•  I respect that YucatanMan (1+ / 0-)
            YucatanMan

We all have our own convictions. I'm not fighting against your beliefs - we're all in this battle together.

My personal belief is if we lose in 2012 there is no getting it back. Not for the middle class. Not for the lower class. The only winners will be the corporatists.

So, CHIN UP, YucatanMan... get your butt blogging, phoning and writing letters to the friggin editor!

No one ever died from laughing too often

by googie on Fri May 06, 2011 at 12:18:24 PM PDT

•  Heheh... yep, doing it all. (1+ / 0-)
              googie

We all want the same thing - better lives for the lower and middle class - I think.

From my perspective, the huge loss was 1980.  We've been struggling to climb out of that hole ever since.  And now the teabaggers are yanking at our ankles, trying to pry loose our grip on the ledge.

The "republicans" have clearly lost all touch with reality. They're .... I don't really know.  It's not really evil as much as so severely deluded that they cannot see how destructive their ideas are.  They seem to think that if we all live like "Lord of the Flies" the nation will improve.

Instead, as we know, it will descend into chaos.

by YucatanMan on Fri May 06, 2011 at 12:30:20 PM PDT

•  'this' POTUS has JP Morgan & GE inside the WH (0+ / 0-)

and with Mr. China China (5xs) tasked with creating jobs (has anyone heard any jobs plan?), I think says it all about what side this President comes down on, and it ain't Main Street.
           I think Obama's current call for lowering Corporate tax rates says enuf about where his attention is focused. It's  the trickle down theory, and like true neoliberal thinking Obama must feel it will work this time, it just wasn't done right the last time.
           Obama has repeated the meme of  Govt. regulations harming business interests, and you know America is all about business, not the 'common good' because that also gets in the way of business (Unions, living wages, safe working conditions etc.).
           Now he has corporate views in stereo inside the Wall Street House, but no one representing those that did the work that enriched the Country,... and those who are the backbone of this Country.

without the ants the rainforest dies

by aliasalias on Fri May 06, 2011 at 12:30:57 PM PDT