View Diary: An interview with California Secretary of State Debra Bowen (92 comments)

•  Bowen is good people (1+ / 0-)
    afausser

She was a bright light in Sacramento when she was in the legislature and has been a great Secretary of State.

Janice Hahn is an empty suit, legacy candidate. She's so dumb she brings shame to her dynasty and would be a waste of a perfectly good seat if she didn't give it to the GOP (again).

Luckily, in less than 10 days we'll never have to hear from Marcy Winograd again. I supported her the last two time because Harman violated her oath of office and needed to be removed. But Winograd is so grating she lost what was a winnable primary, twice. I just hope California's three strikes rule applies after she loses this time as all three of her campaigns have been crimes.

•  You've repeated a few times how (3+ / 0-)
      camlbacker, kurt, taylormattd

dumb Hahn is. I don't know her. Could you give an example or two of something she said that convinced you of her "low IQ"? I'm not doubting you, but OTOH I don't want to brand Hahn as dumb just because someone on the internets said so.

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Sun May 08, 2011 at 03:08:35 PM PDT

•  she doesn't poke herself in the eye with a fork (0+ / 1-)
        Hidden by:
        taylormattd

But she has never done anything to make anyone think she has anything above a below-average IQ.

•  That's kinda lame, my friend. (5+ / 0-)

You've been insulting a Democratic candidate multiple times here, calling her stupid. All I asked is for you to tell me why it is that you think she is stupid. What has she ever said or done that convinced you of her stupidity? Now I'm thinking that you may be just trashing her.

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Sun May 08, 2011 at 03:24:56 PM PDT

•  That seems to be his m.o. (3+ / 0-)
            doc2, nklein, the tmax

He's trying to shift the burden that is clearly on him, as the accuser, to come up with an example.  He can't, because his entire approach is ad hominem and non-substantive.  And hence, pathetic.  Glad that you and others here have called him on it.

"The true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love."

by Budlawman on Sun May 08, 2011 at 05:37:33 PM PDT

•  I am bothered by a google search (3+ / 0-)
              nklein, camlbacker, taylormattd

I did which shows that he and Bowen know each other, and that no less than 5 different times in this thread he has called Hahn stupid. I hope that Debra Bowen calls her friend and lets him know that this is not how she rolls. I don't know any of these people, but calling Hahn stupid is really horrible if you've got no reason other than that she's not your candidate.

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Sun May 08, 2011 at 05:48:17 PM PDT

•  As I've noted elsewhere in this thread (0+ / 0-)

This fellow's approach is about non-substantive unsubstantiated juvenile name-calling.  Others have called him on it, and get responses of more of the same unoriginal names, or silence, which would be preferable.

"The true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love."

by Budlawman on Sun May 08, 2011 at 06:23:12 PM PDT

•  you don't google so well (1+ / 1-)
                afausser
                Hidden by:
                taylormattd

I repeatedly told the truth about Hahn's brain being as empty as her suit during the Lt. Governor campaign when I was so critical of her opponent that I was quoted in a major cover story about him. I ended up voting for him despite how much I hate him because next to Hahn he looked like a fricking rocket scientist. While you might not be able to find it on google, I'm pretty sure you can find people who will attest that I mocked Hahn's stupidity after she lost #CA36 to the GOP over a decade ago.

I'm not calling Hahn dumb because she's running against Bowen, I'm continuing to point out she's an idiot because she hasn't gotten any smarter since her last failure. At her age, I don't expect she ever will get smarter.

•  Bob has always been, imo, (0+ / 0-)

a dishonest hack of a political operative.

•  I take that as a huge compliment (0+ / 0-)

I don't think I've ever read anything where you weren't exactly dead wrong. If I were the GOP and I wanted to pay people to troll Democratic blogs to give the worst possible advice, I'd train them by having them watch how you operate.

•  There is no reason to trash another candidate (5+ / 0-)

I think your repeated comments are not going to help Debra Bowen, she doesn't need help like that.

I know both candidates and both would be an improvement over Jane Harmen.

How would you feel if the choice in some future election between a tea party Republican and Janice Hahn? Would you really go around trash talking like this?

I call it "the Breathing Syndrome." When Obama breathes in, they will criticize him for using air. When he exhales, they will complain about pollution. If he holds his breath, they will attack him for doing nothing.

by Tuba Les on Sun May 08, 2011 at 05:40:30 PM PDT

•  But mudslinging didn't get her there (4+ / 0-)

Are you the verbal/blogospheric Lee Atwater for the Bowen machine?  Apparently 41% of the electorate just last June did not find my spouse, Marcy, to be "grating".  Generally, fighting for peace and a sensible foreign policy, and really standing up for working people (and actually belonging to a union) are more Democratic than irritating (though it may actually annoy those who should be bothered).

Following your posts on Twitter and now here, you have a proclivity to go personally negative -- in a juvenile way -- that bespeaks ill of you.  You have administered intelligence and psychiatric exams from your easy chair, which may again tend to indicate your own insecurity about your intelligence and mental stability.

Let's try to keep this on a political professional level as the candidates have done, OK, Karl?

"The true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love."

by Budlawman on Sun May 08, 2011 at 05:03:30 PM PDT

•  I would prefer if you don't place one blogger. . . (3+ / 0-)
        Budlawman, msblucow, kurt

into some kind of "machine."  Believe me, Debra places much more faith in her volunteers then to try to form some kind of "machine."  The above blogger might be overzealous and insulting, but that should not reflect on all Debra Bowen supporters or her campaign or herself.

•  I appreciate your point (0+ / 0-)

He has been taking this tack (mostly as his alter ego "Bob Brigham") for a long time in connection with the Bowen campaign.  Don't know if he has any official connection.  I'm happy to not tar Bowen's candidacy with his behavior, as long as the other candidates' supporters are also not necessarily the basis for criticism of the candidate(s) themselves.

"The true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love."

by Budlawman on Sun May 08, 2011 at 06:19:06 PM PDT

•  Full disclosure - Budlawman is Marcy Winograd's... (2+ / 0-)
            afausser, nklein

husband. The Winograd campaign sees Debra Bowen, not Janice Hahn, as their main competition in the open primary. As such, it is not surprising to see Winograd's husband try to tie Bob to Bowen's campaign.

Bob is a "friend" of Bowen if you consider a Twitter follower to be a friend. And if that's the standard the Winograd campaign wants to use for culpability, I would be happy to link to some posts by Winograd supporters that would make the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

•  More full disclosure -- msblucow (1+ / 0-)
              poco

is a sycophant for Bowen and a longstanding Winograd antagonist (and now, perhaps, a defender of the indefensible Brigham?).   I disclosed my relationship to Marcy in the first comment I made on this thread, and in this thread have carefully avoided connecting Brigham as an official Bowen spokesperson -- and in fact have disavowed any such assertion.   Brigham has been very busy tweeting his moronic trash about Marcy and Hahn since the campaign began, and hence calls for a response.  Part of the very point I've tried to make (and have made here) is that the candidate cannot be blamed for the behavior of supporters.  I have seen a fair amount of that blame unfairly aimed at Marcy.

"The true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love."

by Budlawman on Sun May 08, 2011 at 07:18:24 PM PDT

•  You and Marcy are playing an odd game... (3+ / 0-)
                afausser, blogswarm, nklein

Buddy, when you ask of Bob, "Are you the verbal/blogospheric Lee Atwater for the Bowen machine?", and then say "Don't know if he has any official connection.", it's obvious what you're doing.

You and Marcy have been going after Bowen tooth and claw ever since she announced. Rarely do I hear either of you talk about Hahn, who's intimated she would be Harman's hand-picked successor. Some of Marcy's closest supporters on the campaign have even intimated that she'll endorse Hahn over Bowen in the general election.

Look, I supported Harman over your wife the last two times she ran, but I would never support Hahn, who's being backed in this race by the health insurance lobby, the nuclear industry, and even rent control opponents.

Not sure what the two of you hope to get out of all this, but it's a very strange game you're playing indeed.

•  Yes, I asked Name-calling Bob (0+ / 0-)

a valid question, because he has been carrying Bowen's water, repeatedly and indeed, with reckless disregard for the truth, calling Marcy and Hahn unkind names, all of which is really helpful toward building Democratic unity.  The truth is, Marcy has challenged both Hahn and Bowen (and I believe you have attended events where she did so), including tweeting that Hahn's peace plan is a war plan (and reiterating that statement at the Venice Neighborhood Council which you attended) and entered the race because of her serious concerns about foreign and domestic policy.

I also note that you offer not a word of criticism of Mr. Brigham, his immaturity and disgraceful gutter-level tactics notwithstanding.  Did he summon you to come to his defense?

You, msblucow, were particularly vicious and untruthful in your attacks on Marcy during your campaigns for Harman.  You have continued to take shots at Marcy in this campaign with factual misrepresentations, right out of the gate with her entry announcement.  You regularly draw absurd conclusions from flimsy evidence, and to your credit, even occasionally admit it.  Perhaps I'm missing something, but the link you used to support your claim about an endorsement is not only premature, but totally spurious -- the only person on that Calitics thread who mentions a possible endorsement is you (Marta Evry).

I also seem to recall that you dithered at the beginning of this race about who to support, telling Janice Hahn you'd be happy if she won:

In reality, however, I've found myself struggling ever since Jane Harman announced her resignation on February 7th. The next day, I received a call from Janice Hahn, asking me to endorse her. We had a very pleasant conversation, but in the end I told her I needed to wait to see who else would get in the race (Debra Bowen wouldn't announce for another week).

Before we hung up, I told her I'd be happy if either she or Bowen ended up replacing Harman in Congress.

At the time, I meant it. But over the last few weeks, as I've researched and written about both candidates, I no longer feel that way.

There are no games, msblucow, and no conspiracies.  At least not in Marcy's campaign.

"The true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love."

by Budlawman on Sun May 08, 2011 at 09:39:36 PM PDT

•  I know that. (0+ / 0-)

I just wanted to clarify the record.

•  I have no connection (1+ / 0-)
            afausser

I live in frickin Virginia and have never worked for Bowen.

I did urge people to support Winograd when she was running against Harman.

•  Maybe "The Google" is broken. (0+ / 0-)

Wait, so the people googling you couldn't figure out that 1) you've been consistently against Hahn as a failed legacy empty suit for years now and that 2) you live in Virginia?! Seems pretty cursory.

•  We don't follow the child (0+ / 0-)

the way that you do. It would be cute if the two of you weren't too old to act like school children.

I was Rambo in the disco/ I was shootin' to the beat/ When they burned me in effigy My vacation was complete. Neil Young

by Mike S on Tue May 10, 2011 at 01:48:32 AM PDT