View Diary: NEA moves to endorse Obama, and I react (219 comments)

•  Forgive my ambiguous comment... (3+ / 0-)
    David Kaib, JesseCW, esquimaux

But I think you misunderstood.
    I don't think liberal groups should dole out endorsements in advance of any concrete policy to show for it.

It's a terrible form of negotiating.
    Why not wait a bit and extract promises from the WH and other dems before endorsing?

Btw, I know someone is gonna run in and go full emo and ask why I want President Palin or ask if I want Dennis Kucinich to primary President Obama?
    I do not.

I whip my hair back and forth...

by dclawyer06 on Sun May 08, 2011 at 07:17:16 AM PDT

•  if Dems have to wait for endorsements till they (4+ / 0-)
      testvet6778, foufou, SDorn, Lying eyes

please the people on this board - then it will be a cold day in hell till they get any endorsements at all.

The decision by President Barack Obama to launch the assault that killed Osama bin Laden was one of the “gutsiest” calls by any president in recent memory. Brennen

by Kitty on Sun May 08, 2011 at 07:42:48 AM PDT

•  Either you don't understand (5+ / 0-)

what Obama's education policies are doing to public education, or you are ignoring it. Teacherken is not advocating that the NEA hold out for pure left policies.

It is worth noting that the only domestic policy area in which the R's don't criticize the Obama Administration is education. And it isn't because the Rs are less corporatist on education than they are on any other issue; it's because on this issue the Adminstration has decided to co-inhabit the Dark Side alongside the Rs.

"These are not candidates. These are the empty stand-ins for lobbyists' policies to be legislated later." - Chimpy, 9/24/10

by NWTerriD on Sun May 08, 2011 at 08:39:00 AM PDT

•  Obama's on the Dark Side? (3+ / 0-)
          foufou, Lying eyes, arpear

Is that a joke?  Obama loves children and wants them to be the best educated in the world.

teacherken is revered on this board but his opinion is just that - an opinion.  He has a point of view but so do others.

My view is that it is self-defeating to constantly "punish" Dems.- but you guys go right on ahead You'll just have to do it without me and many others.

by Kitty on Sun May 08, 2011 at 09:03:37 AM PDT

•  This is not a conversation about whether (12+ / 0-)

Barack Obama loves children.

This is a conversation about whether President Obama is pursuing educational policies which benefit our children.

It's surprisingly hard to have a reasonable conversation with a person who considers you a cockroach and publicly fantasizes about killing you with neurotoxins.

by JesseCW on Sun May 08, 2011 at 09:07:32 AM PDT

•  this is not "punishing Obama" (9+ / 0-)

I am not saying the NEA should refuse to endorse next year, although some here have pointed at the recent example of the IAFF deciding to make a point about their issues being ignored or merely given lip service despite all the work they have done to elect Democrats.

I am increasingly seeing long-time members, including activists, of the NEA bucking the national leadership.  We are seeing state and local unions going in a different direction.

Many of us who are not only members but union activists - remember, I am a lead building rep - are upset that the national leadership seems willing to forgo fighting for issues we believe are incredibly important in order to maintain a seat at the table -  why bother if when you are at the table it is already too late to advocate on behalf of the issues your members think are important?

There are people who respect me.  I'm not sure anyone here qualifies as being "revered" -  were I to offer that sobriquet to anyone it would be Meteor Blades, not me.

I am a long-time member of the community.

Now there are many voices here on education.  When I started I was the only one,.

There are people here who strongly disagree with me.  There is one person on this thread who has at times been very critical of what I have written, and at other times has been supportive.  That's fine.  We each bring our own perspective.

In writing this, while I am officially only speaking for myself, I can tell not only by comments here but by the continuing messages I am getting directly that what I have written here touches something with which a lot of people agree.

Is it even the most important issue facing us in education?  Of course not.

But it is important, it is significant enough to warrant a serious discussion.

I wrote what I did to start that discussion.

Oh, and I have sent the link to this diary directly to top leadership of both NEA and AFT, and will also be tweeting it to the twitter accounts of several in the Dept of Ed.

I am open about what I believe.

Have a nice day.

"what the best and wisest parent wants for his child is what we should want for all the children of the community" - John Dewey

by teacherken on Sun May 08, 2011 at 09:12:14 AM PDT

•  asdf (5+ / 0-)
            Obama loves children and wants them to be the best educated in the world.

As do the millions of men and women in this country who have devoted their entire professional lives to making that happen.

The difference between those millions, whom we call "teachers," and Obama, is that the teachers understand how this adminstration's policies are hampering the achievement of that goal, and are instead promoting the interests of those who literally want to end public education in this country and turn it into a for-profit venture.

by NWTerriD on Sun May 08, 2011 at 09:55:04 AM PDT