View Diary: What's for Dinner? v5.43: Obscure Kitchen Chemistry (242 comments)

•  LOL (6+ / 0-)

Perfect philosophy, commonmass.

Thinking of your wine consumption, I'd add, "All things in moderation, including moderation."

•  I'm sorry, but I have a bit of the (8+ / 0-)

Christopher Hitchenses about me when it comes to wine and my beloved gin: sometimes, moderation is over-rated.

By most modern standards the fact that I consume a bottle of wine a day and a couple of cocktails in the evening would be considered dangerously excessive. I have been doing this with great success and in excellent health (so far) for years. I acquired the habit in my twenties when I was living and studying and working in Europe and it has persisted.

What is important, however, is not to get drunk too often and not to consume all of that in a short period of time. That would be bad for your body and make you feel like the devil.

I will also add that not everyone can or should drink like that. I will also add that some of that wine is consumed at lunch. (Obviously, I do not work in an office...).

Craft is what emerges when you hit inspiration over the head with a stick.

by commonmass on Sat May 21, 2011 at 06:44:57 PM PDT

•  There are billions of people (7+ / 0-)

on this planet, and an equal number of different metabolisms.  When personality, sex, and race come into consideration, not to mention many other differences, there is a tremendous variation in people.

What works for you might be a disaster for another, and the converse also holds.  Just take care of yourself and those dear to you.  I hold no judgment for anyone for their personal conduct.

Warmest regards,

Doc

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me over and over, then either I really love you blindly or I am a Republican.

by Translator on Sat May 21, 2011 at 06:51:03 PM PDT

•  Thank you. I do not advocate (6+ / 0-)

that anyone follow that regimen. It is indeed a personal and very metabolic issue. For many people, the amount of wine I enjoy would indeed be disastrous. I, however, learned to enjoy wine with food and therefore take it with food. Not always, mind you, and what I described is a day on which I am at home. When I am out, for instance, for lunch, and have to drive, I am unlikely to drink wine with lunch, or if I have an appointment. I never drink before rehearsals, for instance, but in that case I eat a late supper afterward. One has to use good judgment.

Europeans do, or at least did a few years ago, take a different take on having wine at lunch. I think a glass, especially if the meal is rich, aids in the digestion. But that is just me.

Craft is what emerges when you hit inspiration over the head with a stick.

by commonmass on Sat May 21, 2011 at 06:58:04 PM PDT

•  Culture is another part of the (4+ / 0-)

very imprecise, transcendental equation that explains human nature.  By the way, this equation involves many more dimensions that String Theory does, and can never be elucidated completely.  I can think of over a trillion variables just off hand.

This is part of the charm of What's for Dinner?  It can get political, or, in this case, philosophical in an instant!  When engaged, bright people come together, anything can happen.  This has been such a nice discussion that I decided not to watch the new installment of Doctor Who.  That is a big sacrifice for me.  LOL!

Warmest regards,

Doc

by Translator on Sat May 21, 2011 at 07:23:26 PM PDT

•  Well I am glad you stayed with us (3+ / 0-)
              Translator, JayinPortland, tapestry

because your diary has opened up some really excellent discussions surrounding food, science, culture and to me, that's what makes WFD one of my favorite places to hang out. It goes to show you that smart, liberal people not only know how to eat, some of us know how to cook (or want to learn) and are always learning through an open exchange of ideas and more importantly, experiences.

Craft is what emerges when you hit inspiration over the head with a stick.

by commonmass on Sat May 21, 2011 at 07:44:14 PM PDT

•  This series is pure magick! (3+ / 0-)
                commonmass, tapestry, JayinPortland

When I was in real trouble and hurting, this (much smaller at the time) group took me in as one of their own.  I shall not go into those details, since I have been exonerated.

The point is that this subset of the Kos community represents the best, brightest, and most tolerant part of the universe of Kos, and if anyone can think of a better one, please say so.

Without Kos in general, and this group in particular, the strong likelihood is that I would no longer exist.  Now do you understand why I am so attached here?

I remember the days of several contributors who either stopped or got mad.  I shall NOT mention names, because they provided, for the most part, good contributions.

Warmest regards,

Doc

by Translator on Sat May 21, 2011 at 07:58:19 PM PDT

•  I agree. I also thank you all for your (3+ / 0-)
                  Translator, tapestry, JayinPortland

patience with me when I had connectivity issues at the Rock last week and my (incomplete) diary was late. But we're that kind of community. Smart, forgiving, loving, and above all, hungry. I agree: there are not many other places (besides Cheers and Jeers and the pootie diaries) where there is quite this sense of community. I have to admit, I like the fact that this WFD community is SMALL. And I've only been around what, a year? I know a good group of folks when I meet them.

Craft is what emerges when you hit inspiration over the head with a stick.

by commonmass on Sat May 21, 2011 at 08:02:46 PM PDT

•  Hey, never mind. I had connectivity problems (3+ / 0-)
                    commonmass, tapestry, JayinPortland

all night, and that is why some of my responses were late.

I need to format this hard drive, and would do so in a second except that I have a legal copy of Risk, my favorite mental game, that might be lost.

Warmest regards,

Doc

by Translator on Sat May 21, 2011 at 08:35:33 PM PDT

•  Why would you format your hard drive? n/t (3+ / 0-)
                      commonmass, JayinPortland, Translator
                      •  After six years, it has lots (2+ / 0-)
                        commonmass, tapestry

of things embedded that the most well designed antivirus software can find, unless you have a better idea.

Warmest regards,

Doc

by Translator on Sat May 21, 2011 at 09:06:33 PM PDT

•  No ideas at all (2+ / 0-)
                          Translator, commonmass

I was just wondering.

I absolutely hate getting a new computer, until I've got everything reinstalled and set up. It's a pain and can take lots of time. Reformatting your hard drive sounds to me like you're going to have to go through all of that hassle but won't even have the consolation of updated hardware to compensate for the torture.

Also, I've never reformatted anything more consequential than a floppy disk (remember those?).

•  The 5.25 or the 3.5 ones? (2+ / 0-)
                            commonmass, tapestry

I really like you.

Warmest regards,

Doc

by Translator on Sat May 21, 2011 at 09:35:30 PM PDT

•  Aw, shucks (1+ / 0-)
                            Translator

I have both kinds of disks but no longer a working computer that can handle the 5.25 disks.

Nephew came close to committing relativecide when I demanded that he rescue a 3.5 drive from one of my old computers and install it in my new computer. He turned quite reddish (hard for a Mexican boy to do and have it show) when I further demanded that he test it to be sure it was working. He then promptly transferred everything from the 3.5 disks I used most often to one of the four (yes, four!) hard drives. I laughed, he glowered.

Are you sure you're thinking of formatting? Actually, reformatting, since your hard drive has to be formatted to work at all. Perhaps you mean defragging? If so, that's safe, or has always been for me. I've never lost anything by defragging.

I know just enough to be dangerous, not enough to be helpful. If you're having problems, drop into one of the Cranky Users diaries. Open Thread is another possibility. If the right person reads your post, you'll get help.

•  I am talking about a full (1+ / 0-)
                            tapestry

reformat, wiping out everything.  I have stored my personal files on an external hard drive, so no danger of losing them.

This computer is getting old, and other than plugging in additional RAM the reformat is the quickest way to refresh it.  I have three anti spyware programs plus Norton 360 that I run regularly, but there is so much junk on the drive that I fear that only a complete wipe is what will make it feel more new.

Warmest regards,

Doc

by Translator on Sun May 22, 2011 at 03:12:52 AM PDT

•  I drink quite a bit as well. (2+ / 0-)
            commonmass, Translator

I'll have about two glasses of wine a night, one at the beginning of the cooking, and one at the end of the meal just to relax.

It's different when it comes to beer. I have only have one bottle a night when I don't have wine on hand. My husband, on the other hand, rarely drinks.

I work with B2B PAC, and all views and opinions in this account are my own.

by slinkerwink on Sat May 21, 2011 at 08:57:23 PM PDT

•  And some of us... (6+ / 0-)

...learn this the hard way -

I will also add that not everyone can or should drink like that.