View Diary: What's for Dinner? v5.43: Obscure Kitchen Chemistry (242 comments)

•  Steak! (5+ / 0-)

Tonight we had grilled rib eye steaks. Cut about an inch and a half thick. About half an hour before hitting the grill I dried them well with paper towel, then hit with a light seasoning on both sides of kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and paprika.

I cranked the gas Weber up to max heat on all 6 burners, plus the center searing burner. The temperature reading inside the chamber gets up to almost 700F when maxed out like that. And you don't want your hand anywhere near the surface.

Steaks go on for about a minute and a half, then a quarter rotation, another minute and a half, flip over, another minute and a half, quarter rotation, another minute and a half, then taken off to rest for a few minutes on a warm plate (yes I've done this before so the timing is pretty much worked out for this cut of meat on this grill). Beautifully cooked to just on the rare side of medium rare, the way we both like it.

My partner made a side of fried celery. Not as strange as it sounds, actually quite tasty. Celery sticks cut into pieces about 4" long or so, quickly blanched in boiling water, then flash stir fried with fresh minced garlic and a little salt. Easy, and delicious!

A bottle of Malbec rounded out the meal.

Ice cream coming up next, as SNL is about to start. Live from New York!

Resident Palin - even if she did take up residency in the White House in 2012, it's too painful to use the "P" word combined with her name

by lotac on Sat May 21, 2011 at 08:29:57 PM PDT

•  That sounds yummy! (5+ / 0-)

A good Malbec is certainly a good choice. Do you mind saying where the Malbec was from and which vintner?

Craft is what emerges when you hit inspiration over the head with a stick.

by commonmass on Sat May 21, 2011 at 08:32:41 PM PDT

•  I agree, except that I like my beef (5+ / 0-)

in the bleu stage.  I would have used the same protocol, but flip it after after that minute and a half, searing both sides onto a cool centre.  That is just my preference, and your recipe sounds great.

For such quick cooked meat, plating it sort of makes it less good, but you did the right thing when you cooked it.  I am from the "iodine and Band/-Aid school" that says if you can treat it soon enough, you can save it.  LOL!

Warmest regards,

Doc

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me over and over, then either I really love you blindly or I am a Republican.

by Translator on Sat May 21, 2011 at 08:50:14 PM PDT

•  We have something in common, Translator: (4+ / 0-)

neither of us like their meat cooked beyond bleu. I also like my fish cooked that way, especially salmon. I like to poach salmon, for instance, gently in champagne (or other sparkling wine) until it just pales in color on the outside and is utterly raw inside. Not to everyone's taste, but I like it that way.

Sometimes I wonder how a country boy like me got such crazy tastes. (TRAVEL).

Craft is what emerges when you hit inspiration over the head with a stick.

by commonmass on Sat May 21, 2011 at 08:53:21 PM PDT

•  as a friend of mine says (3+ / 0-)
        commonmass, Translator, tapestry

"I like my beef to moo."

Rare is the only way to eat beef in MHO.

Never separate the life you live from the words you speak. --Paul Wellstone

by Cordelia Lear on Sat May 21, 2011 at 09:01:38 PM PDT

•  Interesting tid bit (3+ / 0-)
          commonmass, Translator, tapestry

my friend's father was a cattle farmer who would only eat his beef well done.

Never separate the life you live from the words you speak. --Paul Wellstone

by Cordelia Lear on Sat May 21, 2011 at 09:02:54 PM PDT

•  That's interesting. (2+ / 0-)
            Translator, tapestry

I cannot imagine it. A number of us Portland (ME) Kossacks went out to a wonderful Spanish restaurant here a couple of months ago. I ate beef tartare and it was GOOD. And utterly, completely raw and I loved it.

Craft is what emerges when you hit inspiration over the head with a stick.

by commonmass on Sat May 21, 2011 at 09:06:05 PM PDT

•  I wish that I had the resources (2+ / 0-)
              commonmass, tapestry

to meet my friends personally when the gathering comes.  Well, I can see the posts and respond to them.

Warmest regards,

Doc

by Translator on Sat May 21, 2011 at 09:21:01 PM PDT

•  I cannot go out much. (2+ / 0-)
                tapestry, Translator

Very rarely, though I do manage to have a light bite on Sundays after church with my friends. Speaking of which, I will have to get to bed very soon, I am expected at the Episcopal Cathedral tomorrow (as usual) and afterward a light lunch with my friends from there. This was a great diary. I so very much enjoyed it.

Craft is what emerges when you hit inspiration over the head with a stick.

by commonmass on Sat May 21, 2011 at 09:25:02 PM PDT