View Diary: The Israeli reality that Obama doesn't understand (56 comments)

•  Time to institute the backup plan. (7+ / 0-)

President Obama declares that the United States will always be a safe home for Jewish people. We offer citizenship to any Israelis that want it. Two-thirds of Israelis pack their bags and come to America, we pick up a few million hard-working and industrious immigrants, Israel no longer needs to exist as a Jewish state. Case closed.

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Mon May 23, 2011 at 09:31:16 PM PDT

•  I offerred to give Montana, or North Dakota (0+ / 0-)

to either the Palestinians, or the Israels, if they'd all agree to come together, to solve this problem.

And, think of the advance for their Winter Olympic teams which are non-existent now.

I agree with the diariest.  When I saw the title, I was suddenly in a fighting mood.

I immediately intended to respond with a counter-diary, entitled "The Obama Reality, that Netanyahu doesn't understand."

And, I was going to say pretty much the same thing.

How, glad I am that you already said, it better and in vastly few words I would have required.

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

by HoundDog on Mon May 23, 2011 at 09:40:34 PM PDT

•  Excuse me, but this is truly offensive (1+ / 0-)
      yaque

I'm quite certain tat this is a promise that Obama cannot deliver. There are quite a few Jews who have left this country for Israel. Some because they don't feel safe - or would feel safer in a country where Jews can control their own destiny. Others go because of the desire to live in the ancient Jewish homeland - some for religious reasons and others for reasons more tied to cultural identity.

I don't know if you're Jewish and this ridiculous or just a ridiculous Gentile who doesn't get it -- but either way you have made an asinine suggestion that would offend most Jews.

Coming Soon -- to an Internet connection near you: Armisticeproject.org

by FischFry on Mon May 23, 2011 at 09:51:04 PM PDT

•  Nah. I am indeed Jewish and an (0+ / 0-)

Israeli friend said his family would pack up in two minutes if such an offer were made. Most Israelis are not Zionist zealots. They somehow find themselves Israelis but they're sick of the tension and sick of living very difficultly. Some of us believe that if Israel doesn't make peace soon that she will be at risk of annihilation.

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Mon May 23, 2011 at 09:55:03 PM PDT

•  Israel has always faced that risk (1+ / 0-)
          yaque

It's nothing new. Except for the threat of the Iranian nukes, Israel is actually far safer now than it has been at any time in its history. Yes, there are the rockets from Gaza, which are mostly a nuisance -- and there are the more deadly rockets that Hezbollah possesses, but Israel is far stronger than any of its enemies. Most Israelis are Zionists, whether or not you consider them zealots. They also have a booming economy. What they don't have is an end tot he palestinian situation. That end is in sight, but it does depend on a majority of Israelis voting for a peacemaking coalition. Unfortunately, that doesn't look like a realistic prospect -- which puts the lie to your point about what most Israelis want.

Coming Soon -- to an Internet connection near you: Armisticeproject.org

by FischFry on Mon May 23, 2011 at 10:02:20 PM PDT

•  Jews don't feel safe in the US? (2+ / 0-)
        Eiron, Deep Texan

this is the first mention I have seen of this and what is intimates is disturbing

•  Let me put it this way (1+ / 0-)
          yaque

Jews have never felt as safe or as integrated into their nation's life as they did in 1920s Germany. There are probably more anti-semitic acts on a regular basis here than you would have seen in Germany in the '20s.

As for safety, while crime rate is declining, life in Israel is safer, even with the occasional act of terror.

Coming Soon -- to an Internet connection near you: Armisticeproject.org

by FischFry on Mon May 23, 2011 at 10:07:36 PM PDT

•  Control their own destiny? (0+ / 0-)

Not with that much foreign aid coming in from the U.S.

You really think the Jewish people in Israel control their own destiny in the region? That they could go it alone? I'm having a hard time imagining that, no matter how much I wish it were so.

-5.38 -4.72 T. Atlas shrugged. Jesus wept.

by trevzb on Mon May 23, 2011 at 10:26:53 PM PDT

• Labor (18)
  • Politics (17)
  • Media (16)
  • Environment (16)
  • Texas (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site