View Diary: Illinois Congressional Map Analysis, By a Chicagoan (94 comments)

•  Thanks for the kindness! (5+ / 0-)

I appreciate all of you who have accepted me here kindly. Thanks for the positive feedback and constructive feedback. To the haters, sure there are a few mistakes, but I wrote this in 1.5 hours, and I'm just 17. I think I did a good job. Thanks to my Democratic friends on here for sticking up for me and giving me feedback; I really appreciate it.

17, R, IL-10. Summer (Internship starting in June): DC-AL. RockRibbedR on RedRacingHorses.

by IllinoyedR on Sat May 28, 2011 at 03:03:44 PM PDT

•  You did a great job (1+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY

Writing that stuff in only 1.5 hours is quite an accomplishment! I can write pretty long stuff too but it takes me forever to work on.

For more election analysis and redistricting maps, check out my blog http://racesandredistricting.blogspot.com/

by Alibguy on Sat May 28, 2011 at 03:53:33 PM PDT

•  still plenty of people (3+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY, davybaby, drobertson

who don't realize the rules of DKE, that we focus on election analysis instead of policy and Republicans are welcome.

Good job overall, I have a few quibbles but I agree with most of the analysis.  Good to see someone from Illinois taking a close look at this map.

•  Whether this is DKE or not (1+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY

It bothers me that some people are so blinded by partisanship that they can't look past the fact that the diarist was a Republican. The line about Rep. Rush was not a "dig" at the Congressman it was a simple stating of a fact, as in when we point out that a politician is a CfGer or a Tea Party candidate. The line about "Comrade Jan" may have been a little over the top, but we see a lot worse here on DKos and at FDL.

19, gay male, IL 7, MN 4 (College)

by knickelbein5 on Sun May 29, 2011 at 09:22:12 AM PDT

•  Your joking right? (0+ / 0-)

That was most certainly a dig and is much worse than stating someone is a teabagger. For Republicans, Black Panthers represent violent, ignorant, and black. It's a dog whistle for them. Maybe the diarist didn't get that, but I get the sense he did. The Comrade Jan thing was more in line with someone calling a politician on the right a Fascist, so I was less bothered by it. The diarist overall did a good job. I just wish he didn't taint it with a few things.

19, Chairman DKE Gay Caucus, male, Dem, (College IN-09) (Raised IL-03, IL-09) Tammy Baldwin for Senate!

by ndrwmls10 on Sun May 29, 2011 at 01:34:53 PM PDT

•  I would have to disagree (2+ / 0-)
            MichaelNY, nimh

Its all about context. When writing these diaries and political info in general, it makes sense to sometimes spice things so that the writing doesn't get repetitive. The diarist did not mention that Rush was a former black panther in a condecending manner, he simply used a fact to spice up his writing.

19, gay male, IL 7, MN 4 (College)

by knickelbein5 on Sun May 29, 2011 at 06:04:47 PM PDT

•  You did a good job (2+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY, propjoe

And mistakes are no big deal, everyone does it. It's nice to read different perspectives.

25, Male, CA-24, DK Elections Black Caucus Chair.

by DrPhillips on Sat May 28, 2011 at 07:17:33 PM PDT