View Diary: Black Kos, Tuesday's Chile (256 comments)

•  Okay, Dwayne Wayne! Sorry that I didn't (8+ / 0-)

respond to you about the SilverDocs celebrity experiences.  Saw it a couple days after the fact.  Yes, I had a chance to talk to some of those people but not to others.  I was burned out from working it so only drank mojitos while at a party with Al Gore.  We exchanged greetings and there was ample opportunity but I don't fake the clever when it's not in me!

One of the teenagers I've watched grow up while seeing her doing her annual community-service hours at the festival told me about seeing Danny Glover.  That he was friendly and just hung around and watched other movies after the film he'd produced had aired.  Lisa Gaye Hamilton I'd first seen in an Athol Fugard play in which she played opposite him so I talked to her about that as well as her film.  I didn't mention Ed Norton, Jr., or Richard Dreyfus, both of whom were very accessible.

I'm working on outreach now for a film about Liberia's General Butt Naked.  Um, can anyone tell me who would be the core audience for that questionable subject?!

I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear--Martin Luther King, Jr.

by conlakappa on Tue May 31, 2011 at 03:52:44 PM PDT

•  Oh...My... (5+ / 0-)
      Deoliver47, Cedwyn, conlakappa, BYw, poco

Gawd. I thought that was a typo, but you are serious!
      That's one hell of a nome de geurre.

I'm sure it was....interesting viewing?
      His wiki is a thing to behold; you could switch his name out with Caligula or Nero and I'd believe it.
      Wow.

And I'd love to schmooze with any and all of the people you've mentioned at the film fest, particularly Danny Glover. I bet Ed Norton, Jr. is a cool guy.
      I dig his work.

Stay cool in the heat wave, clk!

“Sometimes, the most reasonable thing in the legislative process is to be unreasonable.” Mike Pence, R-Ind., on negotiating with the democrats.

by dclawyer06 on Tue May 31, 2011 at 04:58:45 PM PDT

•  (lurching out of that wiki page sweating and (4+ / 0-)
        dclawyer06, conlakappa, BYw, poco

shaking)

the horror..!

I went in there grinning but the grin faded fast.  holy crap, this was a real person?!

"Wake the town and tell the people!" ~Ewart Beckford, O.D.

by mallyroyal on Tue May 31, 2011 at 05:25:31 PM PDT

•  My first thought, upon reading his bio, was... (4+ / 0-)
          conlakappa, BYw, poco, mallyroyal

how lousy it must've been to bump into him and his army.
          Something tells me reasoning with him would be very, very difficult.

"Forgive me, General....Butt Nekkid?
          I'm just a tourist, here in Africa to get in touch with my roots. Forgive my intrusion; I'll be on my way!
          Uh oh..."

His wiki makes him seem like a combo of Idi Amin, Pol Pot, Than Shwe, Kim Jong Il & Michelle Bachmann.
          On a meth-binge!

by dclawyer06 on Tue May 31, 2011 at 05:44:41 PM PDT

•  Hmmm, so no suggestions as to how I should (3+ / 0-)
            dclawyer06, poco, mallyroyal

try to do outreach for such a character?!  I don't know that the point would be to invite scorn and anger.  Eek.

If I keep running into power outages, I'm not sure that staying cool is even possible.

by conlakappa on Tue May 31, 2011 at 06:15:16 PM PDT

•  I know--right! (3+ / 0-)
          mallyroyal, dclawyer06, conlakappa

He's like that awful character in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom! Like a cartoon villain--you can't believe he's real.

Its *Gandhi*, not Ghandi