View Diary: Republicans continue rich tradition of blaming their candidates (98 comments)

•  I agree (3+ / 0-)

I would only say - this is a deep underlying problem for the Democrats! I'll call it the Will Rogers Problem: "I am not a member of any organized party — I am a Democrat." In the same way the GOP need to dismantle the welfare state plagues them, our eternal fractiousness plagues us.

Political Director, Daily Kos

by David Nir on Thu Jun 02, 2011 at 04:22:31 PM PDT

•  Yes, I think that's right (0+ / 0-)

It's the curse of being the party of everyone else.

Ultimately I think the Republican base will become such a minority that the internal debates of the Democratic party will become the national political conversation. How that might manifest itself, I don't know. But when it happened in the 20th century, it revitalized the Republicans.

Ok, so I read the polls.

by andgarden on Thu Jun 02, 2011 at 04:28:01 PM PDT

•  Ultimately, the Republican Party will change (1+ / 0-)
        gabjoh

or else, much less likely, it will be replaced by another party that will perpetuate the outwardly two-party politics that overlays the actual rule by corporate ownership here. But I digress dangerously into socialist ideology here. :-) So suffice it to say that, ever since parties have existed in the US, there have been two major parties, except arguably for short periods when one party was so out of it that there was effectively one-party rule nationally for a few terms.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Thu Jun 02, 2011 at 10:51:35 PM PDT

•  Don't forget the one time that (1+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY

the two-party structure actually collapsed.

1856-1860.

And we know what happened next.

--Shannon

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." -- Emiliano Zapata Salazar
          "Dissent is patriotic. Blind obedience is treason." --me

by Leftie Gunner on Sat Jun 04, 2011 at 09:16:14 PM PDT

•  That proves my point (1+ / 0-)
            BeloitDem

It was replaced by another two-party structure.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Sat Jun 04, 2011 at 09:55:58 PM PDT

•  There was some stuff that happened (1+ / 0-)
              MichaelNY

in between, though.

And given that, and also given that that was the only time in American history when we did not have a "two-party system", people calling for its dismantlement might consider being careful what they wish for.

--Shannon

"Dissent is patriotic. Blind obedience is treason." --me

by Leftie Gunner on Sat Jun 04, 2011 at 10:02:33 PM PDT

•  You'll probably recall (0+ / 0-)

that Will Rogers' remark used to be my sig on Swing State Project.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project