View Diary: Punishing Breitbart’s Enablers (237 comments)

•  You are really digging in on this? (7+ / 0-)

No one said it was a get out of jail free card - but you dismissively calling her honey, and talking about her pouty lips.

That is pretty obviously sexist and those comments add nothing of substance to this diary, the rest of which I wholeheartedly agree with, and I have recced all your other diaries on this subject as well.

I guess I should take back my rec then.

"There’s nothing courageous about asking for sacrifice from those who can least afford it and don’t have any clout on Capitol Hill."

by bay of arizona on Fri Jun 03, 2011 at 08:44:54 AM PDT

•  s'okay (5+ / 0-)

there's plenty of recs to make up for your HR.

hope springs eternal and DAMN is she getting tired!

by alguien on Fri Jun 03, 2011 at 08:59:00 AM PDT

•  You guys are amazing (4+ / 0-)
        revsue, Anak, gustynpip, LeftOverAmerica

Is it that hard to edit the last paragraph? I still recced the diary - is sexism that necessary for you? Apparently so.

by bay of arizona on Fri Jun 03, 2011 at 09:11:19 AM PDT

•  i can see how you'd see it as sexist (8+ / 0-)

but i think it's more of a dig directly at DL rather than at womankind in general.

in my mind, not too much different than referring to rick perry as "governor goodhair" or calling congressman boehner "oompa loompa" because he's so orange.

hope springs eternal and DAMN is she getting tired!

by alguien on Fri Jun 03, 2011 at 09:53:47 AM PDT

•  You compare degrading sexist rhetoric to (1+ / 0-)
            KateCrashes

calling out Boehner for being too orange?  WTF?!

•  Wrong. In this case she IS a sex object. It was (0+ / 0-)

why she was hired by CNN. It's not sexist to point out that that persona (did you SEE the photo in the diary, FFS?) is worthy of disdain.  I don't buy the sexism accusation, sorry.

Conservatives are] engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; ...the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. JK Galbraith

by Vtdblue on Fri Jun 03, 2011 at 02:30:53 PM PDT

•  Sexist is the last bastien and it doesn't look (6+ / 0-)

as though the Dkos community will be taking it seriously anytime soon.  It rears it's oh so pretty head every time something is written about a right wing woman.  It seems impossible for most here to grasp the concept that sexism is sexism, just like racism is racism, agism is agism, etc., and it's not okay whether it's being lobbed against the enemy or a friend.  Here, it seems to be seen as quite witty and honorable to treat women as sexual before anything else.

by gustynpip on Fri Jun 03, 2011 at 10:07:47 AM PDT

•  I'm clearly insensitive to that (4+ / 0-)

interpretation of sexism (being a man and all), though I agree that a few kossacks have crossed the line.  As far as the "pouty lips" comment, I actually saw that as the reverse of sexism.  The clear (IMO) criticism is that DLoesch is using her sexuality instead of her intellect to succeed.   That's fine for a pole dancer; not so much for a news reporter.   Seems to me that's not treating her as a sex object or demeaning her for being a woman so much as criticizing her for tearing down the credibility other women have earned.

You can't spell CRAZY without R-AZ.

by rb608 on Fri Jun 03, 2011 at 10:20:58 AM PDT

•  Yeah, and that kind of reasoning must be why (2+ / 0-)
              cks175, rb608

African Americans jumped on the bandwagon of calling what's his face whose name I can't remember but is head of the Republican party an Uncle Tom.  Or not.  That was considered racist and not permitted.  The rules are different for women, whether you recognize it or not.

by gustynpip on Fri Jun 03, 2011 at 10:32:20 AM PDT

•  Oh, I certainly agree that women (1+ / 0-)
                kurt

work under a different set of rules; but there is unquestionably a physical difference between the two.  It's been my opinion, however, that I treat all women as intelligent and as capable at any job as men.  By that same token, I expect women who wish to be treated without gender bias to do that job without manipulating that gender bias.  IMO, women who capitalize on their attractiveness to men instead of their actual qualifications and capabilities are betraying the equality other women have worked so hard to gain.  I don't see race as being analogous at all.

You can't spell CRAZY without R-AZ.

by rb608 on Fri Jun 03, 2011 at 01:04:48 PM PDT

•  LOL! You must be a man. Only a man would (1+ / 0-)
                  cks175

decide that he has the right to decide to treat a woman in a sexist manner because he's decided, in all his superiority, that she hasn't acted appropriately "without manimpulating that gender bias".  I'm so glad we have someone like you standing up for those who betray our equality.

by gustynpip on Fri Jun 03, 2011 at 03:18:00 PM PDT

•  Not to get to technical BUT (1+ / 0-)
                    rb608

"You must be a man. Only a man would..."

is pretty sexist. Do you think that only men could believe that a woman who uses sexuality to further her goals can be called out for having only that sexuality and no qualifications?

That's what I see the poster saying, and I agree.

"What i believe is irrelevant." - GOP Senate Candidate

by Solarian on Fri Jun 03, 2011 at 05:39:57 PM PDT

•  You got me. That was sexist. But uses (0+ / 0-)

sexist language with the excuse that the woman is using her sexuality improperly is still wrong.

by gustynpip on Mon Jun 06, 2011 at 08:54:00 AM PDT

•  We're going to have to agree to disagree. (0+ / 0-)

I don't believe you're even willing to consider that I have a valid perspective, simply because I'm a man; yet I'm the sexist.  Okay fine.  Carry on without me.

You can't spell CRAZY without R-AZ.

by rb608 on Fri Jun 03, 2011 at 06:30:29 PM PDT

•  Let me get this straight... (2+ / 0-)
              gustynpip, KateCrashes

rather than attack her tactics, or rather than criticize her ideas, just validate that your issues with her are valid because she's a woman.

I don't think you would feel the same if your daughter were treated that way.

•  A twit is still worth calling out as a twit no (1+ / 0-)
            lunachickie

matter what the gender and the bottom line is still that she is just a camera-hungry twit who was hired as a pretty teleprompter reader and attention grabbing rabble rouser.

Torture is for the weak. After all, it is just extended wheedling.

by nargel on Fri Jun 03, 2011 at 11:46:13 AM PDT

•  How are you not adding to it? (0+ / 0-)
            oh so pretty head

To every millionaire who decries they don't want their grandchildren paying for the deficit, I say: PAY MORE TAXES NOW and your grandkids won't have a deficit burden.

by gooderservice on Fri Jun 03, 2011 at 02:50:37 PM PDT

• Recommended (131)
  • Community (66)
  • Elections (25)
  • Environment (24)
  • Media (23)
  • Culture (22)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Science (21)
  • Law (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Labor (19)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Marriage Equality (17)
  • Economy (17)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • Hillary Clinton (15)
  • Rescued (15)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site