View Diary: Has Archie Sounded the Death Knell of DADT? (70 comments)

•  If DADT repeal hadn't passed Congress... (14+ / 0-)

...it would be Congress's fault, but since it did pass, it's because Obama made it happened.  Mmmhmm.

I still think it's absolutely ludicrous that it's taking the Obama administration so damn long to actually "implement repeal".  It took insanely less time to figure out how to bomb Libya, but apparnetly figuring out how to not kick someone out of the military is infinitely more complex than bombing another country halfway around the world.  It's pathetic.

•  I'm pretty sure that if it hadn't passed... (2+ / 0-)
      quarkstomper, sagesource

You along with the rest of dkos folks would NOT be blaming Congress.

Evidence: You and rest of dkos folks blame Obama for literally everything - even when you have to just plain make it up.

lols @ "true progressives" and their argument that DADT repeal is yet further proof that Obama hates teh gheys.

"I'm gonna go eat a steak. And fuck my wife. And pray to GOD"
      - hatemailapalooza, 052210

by punditician on Sun Jun 05, 2011 at 08:43:01 AM PDT

•  When you declare yourself a fierce advocate, (2+ / 0-)
        liberaldemdave, IndieGuy

and talk about the "urgency of now," and then fight against the goal you said you were for, you open yourself to that criticism.

And when you can't be bothered to work on implementing the victory you want to claim credit for, you open yourself to even more.

Dreamy McGlibtalk is long on pretty speeches, and pathetically thin on action here.

grieving citizen of the murdered Republic, unrepentant rebel against the Empire.

by khereva on Sun Jun 05, 2011 at 09:16:34 AM PDT

•  not to mention that, in a bizarre twist of (3+ / 0-)
          vacantlook, IndieGuy, khereva

oddness... had it not been for joe f'ing lieberman PUSHING for repeal prior to the end of the last session of congress (and some fierce patriots handcuffing themselves to the president's front fence...much to his embarrassment and anger), the president was poised to let it twist in the wind until afterwards...and we ALL know how that would have worked out.

i'll give him credit where it's due, but this president's "accomplishments" for glbt civil equality are threadbare, at best...particularly all of the campaign "fierce advocate™" hype that failed to materialize, post election.

I believe that marriage is between a man and woman and I am not in favor of gay marriage..."Now, for me as a Christian — for me — for me as a Christian, it is also a sacred union. God’s in the mix." ~ barack obama

by liberaldemdave on Sun Jun 05, 2011 at 10:35:34 AM PDT

•  What would President McCain do? (0+ / 0-)

Would he call for dadt repeal in 2 successive sotu speeches?
            We may have to lobby Obama, but seriously, can you expect anything out of a Republican President?

•  This is bullshit. Just because he won't strut (0+ / 0-)

around like Bush doesn't mean he is not working on it.

You want show. Accomplishment doesn't phase you if it is not theatrical enough it doesn't count.

Right.

And I see you don't believe in anyone growing and changing. So any position once held must be their permanent position. I think that's a hell of a stupid philosophy. I sure can''t expect you to grow up or change.

I'm asking you to believe. Not in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... *I'm asking you to believe in yours.* Barack Obama

by samddobermann on Wed Jun 08, 2011 at 04:56:30 AM PDT

•  I will up you one (5+ / 0-)

Harry Truman didn't wait around concerning the issue of integration in the military. He did it by executive order. More amazing is the lack of evidence that Harry was on the cutting edge on the civil rights movement. Rather, it was an old redneck, a veteran of WWI, a product of a supposedly corrupt political machine, a man who headed up an investigation of war spending in the middle of a war who finally had a WTF moment. A man with balls who stepped up to the plate, exclaiming in his own inimitable fashion, "Enough of this shit, this is the way it is going to be, let's move on".

Depressions may bring people closer to the church but so do funerals - Clarence Darrow

by nomorerepukes on Sun Jun 05, 2011 at 09:42:40 AM PDT

•  After 8 years of working for it by many (0+ / 0-)

people and after hanging tough during the war and after, finally, when we were at peace and demobilization was over and most were out of hospitals,  after sit ins at military posts, ole Harry sat down and did it.

Who knew more than 60 years later he would be credited with doing it all by himself.

by samddobermann on Wed Jun 08, 2011 at 05:00:50 AM PDT

•  I think announcing the repeal would happen this (0+ / 0-)

year in his state of the Union speech was nothing and of no influence.

And working behind the scenes, and compelling the Repubs to let it come to a vote in the senate? That type of nothing?

by samddobermann on Wed Jun 08, 2011 at 04:51:29 AM PDT