View Diary: LGBT Kos Sunday Afternoon Open Thread (131 comments)

•  Just to finish this square of weather here (6+ / 0-)

In Alabama it's hot, dry, and miserable.  It's been over 100 degrees every day in the last week, and we haven't had rain in almost two weeks, and that was only a half inch.  Weed eating in this shit blows.  Who am I kidding, doing anything in this heat blows.

Your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick - Jethro Tull

by codobus on Sun Jun 05, 2011 at 01:10:37 PM PDT

•  I don't know if you know this, but I lived in (5+ / 0-)

Houston, Texas nearly half my life even though I am from New England originally and have returned.

There is nothing--nothing quite like summer on the Gulf Coast. I know Texas is experiencing some drought, but in the Summer it often pours buckets every afternoon about 4pm and then you can watch the steam rising off the pavement as the relentless sun comes back out after ten minutes of downpour.

Not to mention the humidity.

I made an attempt to move back to Texas last fall. I couldn't take it, even in fall. I was back in New England by Christmas.

Craft is what emerges when you hit inspiration over the head with a stick.

by commonmass on Sun Jun 05, 2011 at 01:14:40 PM PDT

•  Nothing like the far south... (5+ / 0-)

to make you miss the midsouth.  Even Tennessee is usually too hot for me, but this is insane.  I can't wait till I get a chance to move somewhere farther north, where I don't have to worry about peeling myself off the couch if I sit down too long.  Oh and the humidity...dear god the humidity.

Your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick - Jethro Tull

by codobus on Sun Jun 05, 2011 at 01:17:27 PM PDT

•  Move to Maine, if you can find a job. (4+ / 0-)
          cooper888, codobus, wyldraven, kyril

We are very friendly here and the weather is decidedly much cooler than anything you are likely used to.

I can take Winter. Fall is my favorite season, especially here. Y'all can have Summer as far as I am concerned.

I guess I am just a cold weather guy. I don't know how I managed to survive living in Texas all those years. And I'm just talking about the weather!

Craft is what emerges when you hit inspiration over the head with a stick.

by commonmass on Sun Jun 05, 2011 at 01:20:58 PM PDT

•  Nothing on earth is better than a good fall day (4+ / 0-)
            cooper888, wyldraven, commonmass, kyril

New England has always interested me, along with the middlish northern states.  As long as I can grow me some vegetables, and find some wood for carving.  As far as summer goes, I've always said, one can always put on warmer clothes, there's only so naked one can get!

Your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick - Jethro Tull

by codobus on Sun Jun 05, 2011 at 01:24:18 PM PDT

•  OH, I have always used that line about (5+ / 0-)

"only so naked you can get". Probably because I lived in the South and also in the Midwest where it can get deathly humid for the six weeks of summer that they enjoy. LOL.

Craft is what emerges when you hit inspiration over the head with a stick.

by commonmass on Sun Jun 05, 2011 at 01:39:10 PM PDT

•  Sadly, for some of us (6+ / 0-)

adding more clothes doesn't help :(

It seems like I just don't generate enough body heat. I can be wearing (quite literally) three times as many layers as everyone around me and still be freezing.

And it doesn't matter what I'm wearing, if it's below 50 degrees outside and I'm not engaged in some sort of sport, my hands are ice cubes in 5 minutes flat and cannot be warmed again until I've been in 70+ degree indoor environment for at least 2-3 hours. I have to be mindful about giving my SO hugs in winter if I've been outside that day, because if my hands make contact, it totally kills the mood.

•  I, apparrently, am very exothermic. (3+ / 0-)
                codobus, wyldraven, kyril

So I have been told. I have had bed partners rush to the other side to escape the thermal units my body generates. Which is interesting, because my normal body temperature is slightly less than normal, according to my GP.

Craft is what emerges when you hit inspiration over the head with a stick.

by commonmass on Sun Jun 05, 2011 at 02:14:39 PM PDT

•  I am exactly the opposite (3+ / 0-)
                commonmass, wyldraven, kyril

Once the temp gets over 70 I start to feel uncomfortable.  I sweat very quickly.  On the other hand, I pretty much always have to wear a jacket because of my small frame, but I can be comfy in a jacket in rather cold weather, its the wind that gets me.  Good thing there's such a wide array of climate in the world (:

Your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick - Jethro Tull

by codobus on Sun Jun 05, 2011 at 02:17:03 PM PDT

•  Yikes! (5+ / 0-)

We'll get plenty of those 100º+ days here in Sacramento so I'm not minding the continuation of cool rainy weather!

At least its a dry heat! (our favorite joke hehe)

"When it comes to fighting for what's right, New Yorkers wrote the book, and Marriage Equality is the next chapter of our civil rights story." - NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo

by cooper888 on Sun Jun 05, 2011 at 01:17:11 PM PDT