View Diary: Another win for ColorOfChange: Kanazawa removed from Psychology Today (240 comments)

•  Excellent news (7+ / 0-)

Good work, Ms. Deoliver, ma'am.

Even while an article like that denigrates women of darker color, it also does the same (although perhaps less obviously) to women of lighter color. My sense is that his issue may be less with skin color than with gender.

In any event, it's good see the back of him.

Amount of federal money to National Public Radio in 2010: $2,700,000 / Amount to Jerry Falwell's Liberty University: $446,000,000 / Source -- Harper's Index, June 2011

by Mnemosyne on Mon Jun 06, 2011 at 11:22:31 AM PDT

•  He has problems with both (7+ / 0-)

but in this case he has singled out women of a darker hue for his scorn.

So it is a double pseudo-science  whammy.

"If you're in a coalition and you're comfortable, you know it's not a broad enough coalition" Bernice Johnson Reagon

by Denise Oliver Velez on Mon Jun 06, 2011 at 11:24:56 AM PDT

•  it's just a guess, you understand, (5+ / 0-)

but from his name, I imagine that his coloring isn't exactly fair Anglo-Saxon Wasp variety. Just sayin'.

by Mnemosyne on Mon Jun 06, 2011 at 11:29:59 AM PDT

•  No but very pale skin is highly (6+ / 0-)

valued in Japanese culture (so my exchange students tell me)

I haven't really studied that part of Asia - am more familiar with India.

by Denise Oliver Velez on Mon Jun 06, 2011 at 11:38:14 AM PDT

•  I can find out if you like (3+ / 0-)
            Deoliver47, princss6, Mnemosyne

My brother is married to a Japanese woman and lived in Japan for many years until he (last year) moved to Shanghai to start a business; he still considers Utsunomiya his home.

If you want to know what current Japanese culture values, I can ask my brother for the outsider observer's point of view and get some idea of what is valued in the smaller cities in that area. I'd also be interested in finding out myself from him how his sons are treated, since they are half-Japanese and look like it; I don't know if they get hit with a lot of racism. They may well.

Organ donors save multiple lives! A donor's kidney gave me my life back on 02/18/11; he lives on in me and in others. Please talk with your family about your wish to donate and sign up to give others the gift of life.

by Kitsap River on Mon Jun 06, 2011 at 01:11:52 PM PDT

•  Would like that Sis - please do. (3+ / 0-)
              princss6, Kitsap River, Mnemosyne

I know that bleaching cream is used in India - but would like to hear more about Japan.  Thanks!

by Denise Oliver Velez on Mon Jun 06, 2011 at 01:36:58 PM PDT

•  yes, please, that would be (1+ / 0-)
              Deoliver47

interesting.

Like Deo, I know that there is skin-bleaching in India, and perhaps in other cultures.

Japan may be a good microcosm of conjoined cultures, given how "western" at least some of it has become.

I think you may have a good diary, or two, in that question.

by Mnemosyne on Mon Jun 06, 2011 at 05:14:56 PM PDT

• Recommended (126)
  • Community (58)
  • 2016 (50)
  • Environment (38)
  • Elections (36)
  • Media (34)
  • Republicans (32)
  • Hillary Clinton (30)
  • Law (29)
  • Jeb Bush (28)
  • Culture (27)
  • Barack Obama (26)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (25)
  • Iraq (25)
  • Civil Rights (24)
  • Climate Change (23)
  • Labor (19)
  • Economy (19)
  • LGBT (16)
  • Health Care (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site