View Diary: Is 'Inshoring' about to become the New 'Offshoring'? (97 comments)

•  Maybe in a perfect, parallel universe (13+ / 0-)

Even during this Great Recession, large corporations are enjoying record profits. Banks are sitting on TARP money and not loaning it out, despite assurances to the contrary. And small businesses are not hiring because the banks aren't loaning money. As a result, more and more demands are made on workers, forcing them to often do the equivalent of two jobs for the pay of less than they used to receive for just one job.

I would love it if "inshoring" were going on now, but it isn't. Maybe 10 or 20 years down the line, but not now. I just don't see businesses ceding advantages back to the labor force because right now with so few jobs available and most of them low paying retail or food service jobs businesses know that workers will be willing to put up w/ lots of bullshit just to keep their job. If jobs start to become more plentiful, businesses will lose their upper hand. It would be great, but I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

•  Businesses don't act en masse (18+ / 0-)

There is no secret meeting of every business in America where they assess their power relative to the workforce.  There is simply an ongoing series of incentives and pressures to which every individual business owner responds in their own perceived best interest.  The increased rate of global supply chain interruption, the unfettered rise in commodity prices and associated transport costs, the legal and reputational damage done by shoddy outsourced work, and most importantly, the erosion of the wage arbitrage that offshoring is predicated on, are all giving real and tangible benefits to the onshore side of the equation as each individual assesses the best course of action for their enterprise.

Business owners generally just want to make a good return, and it's getting harder to find that return in outsourcing.

You couldn't load a pistol with dormitive virtue and shoot it into a breakfast-roll - CS Pierce

by Mr Raymond Luxury Yacht on Tue Jun 07, 2011 at 07:18:46 AM PDT

•  And... (22+ / 0-)

Sorry to reply to my own, but I did mean to mention that I agreee, absolutely there is a living wage problem in this country, but I hold policymakers accountable for that.  A business won't spend more on labor costs than they have to.  It is government's job to ensure that anyone working for a living has the other side of the basic bargain fulfilled, and we have fallen down on that for 30 years and counting.

by Mr Raymond Luxury Yacht on Tue Jun 07, 2011 at 07:22:27 AM PDT

•  There's A Tremendous Herd Mentality (10+ / 0-)

There's consultants, business schools, portfolio managers, the media, all hyping the latest trends, which is easier than actually working.

It's all so clear to me now. I'm the keeper of the cheese. And you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.

by bernardpliers on Tue Jun 07, 2011 at 07:52:33 AM PDT

•  Eh (0+ / 0-)

There are a lot of really smart and savvy people in business who wouldn't get where they were if they were stupid.

While idiots exist everywhere and some trends don't work out like they were supposed to, to think that everyone (or even a large percentage) of businesspeople are pointy-haired bosses is a very naive viewpoint.

(-5.50,-6.67): Left Libertarian
          Leadership doesn't mean taking a straw poll and then just throwing up your hands. -Jyrinx

by Sparhawk on Tue Jun 07, 2011 at 09:52:19 AM PDT

•  I can see that (8+ / 0-)

I predicted as much years ago.  But it's hard to stop business from chasing what is perceived as the hot new business model.

It won't turn around en masse, just in drips here and there.

The grand leveling of the labor force hasn't happened yet.  It won't happen until trade agreements are signed that recognize the right of labor to a living wage, enforce a safe work place and respect the environment.  I don't see that around the bend unfortunately.

Nevertheless, I welcome any good news an hope we see more "reshoring".

"The real wealth of a nation consists of the contributions of its people and nature." -- Rianne Eisler

by noofsh on Tue Jun 07, 2011 at 07:55:35 AM PDT

•  The big ones sometimes do (3+ / 0-)
        Bluefin, elwior, alizard

See Bernardpliers comment below.

You can actually tell what's coming out of the business consulting seminars by following the new trends in business-speak.  Sometimes these interesting terms will give you a lot of insight into what the next program-du-jour is going to be.

And sometimes they are just funny.  Does anyone remember hearing the term "reach out" more than 3 or 4 years ago?  We used to call people, or contact people, or have meetings with people..now we are all "reaching out"...as if business was doing some kind of social work.  I remember when I first started hearing that and all I could think of was "reach-around".  It cracked me up.

•  In early 1980s I typeset conference materials (4+ / 0-)
        elwior, wu ming, happymisanthropy, alizard

for ITT, for a meeting of all their top people worldwide in Geneva. The seminar materials, the theme-books, etc etc.

They said two things for the future, and it was the job of ITTs people to start promoting these phrases (explained in the materials): "synergy" and "globalization."

This is how things happen. Hierarchies decide agendas and frames, their agents meet and absorb those (if they want their jobs), and those things become the basis of practice.

I am certain the top of the business pyramids discuss how to influence public opinion, and how to contain and control workforces, and how to manipulate/buy governments, at practically every meal they have together. Which meals are frequent.

I figure out my budget and outlook, and so do you. That people with vast wealth and power hire people to research possible futures for them is not a conspiracy theory. It's a description of routine business and power practices.

Until we break the corporate virtual monopoly on what we hear and see, we keep losing, don't matter what we do.

by Jim P on Tue Jun 07, 2011 at 11:00:13 AM PDT