View Diary: Think Big: Real family values (63 comments)

•  Thank you a thousand million (8+ / 0-)

times for writing this!  My daughter lived in various European countries for several years during her college/travel period, and she came home commenting about the lack of strong family support in this country - it's all about creating obedient cubicle rats who are too scared to take time off for ANYTHING, much less for family.

She also had a lot to say about our consumer-frenzied culture, our weight issues (she was healthier and fitter while in Ireland and Switzerland than she'd ever been), and our peculiar way of defining ourselves.  No one ever asked her where she (or her parents) worked or what she drove or where she lived, all things that had defined her throughout her school years.  She was amazed that people wanted to know who she was, what she thought, how she viewed the world.

I've thought since the '70's that we are becoming more and more centered on breeding for cubicles or foxholes, and less and less on quality of life.  I suspect the ideal America would have enormous breeding centers where life was cultivated, and each child started on a specific path to fulfill a specific business need, and the worn-out, useless, or odd would be neatly disposed of.

I have come up with a question that I ask people who are fussing about unions or government spending, or whatever Tea Partyish BS they heard this morning.  "What would this country look like if the minimum wage was $25.00 an hour?"  It starts some interesting conversations.

by I love OCD on Sun Jun 19, 2011 at 11:39:29 AM PDT

•  Well done. And you'va managed to make me jealous (3+ / 0-)
      irishwitch, I love OCD, BYw

of your daughter for her travels in ireland and Switzerland, to boot!

(We've seen London, and spent three weeks trekking about the Scottish highlands, and thanks to my wife's academic research, we wind up in India frequently and lived in Bombay/Mumbai for a year in 2001-2, but I still want to see more of Europe, and I'm half Irish.)

So he says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy WITHOUT THE LUMPS! HAAA-ha-ha-ha!!!

by Cenobyte on Sun Jun 19, 2011 at 11:57:05 AM PDT

•  I got to spend 7 years in Japan (3+ / 0-)
        I love OCD, here4tehbeer, BYw

Granted our home WAS on a base, but I taught ENglish and got to know my students fairly well.  ANd the one question no one who was Japanese EVER asked was "What church do you go to?"

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Sun Jun 19, 2011 at 02:25:53 PM PDT

•  Oh, spectacular, irishwitch! (1+ / 0-)
          irishwitch

I want to experience Japan. I think it only makes sense for me and my partner to experience Ireland.

And I honestly want to visit and get to know much of Europe.

Such adventures aren't cheap, but we have time to plot   :)

by Cenobyte on Mon Jun 20, 2011 at 05:46:44 AM PDT

•  It Should be In the Teens to Equal 1968's Min Wage (3+ / 0-)
      irishwitch, I love OCD, BYw

by Gooserock on Sun Jun 19, 2011 at 12:00:41 PM PDT

•  Good presentation (1+ / 0-)
      I love OCD

I applaud your post here because of a number of things you've said.  However, we must realize that many European countries are about the size of one of our states.  And, the social dynamics in many of the European countries and the racial/cultural make-up of many of them is FAR different than what we have in our country.  It is a little like comparing apples to oranges, really.  At least IMO.  I hope this isn't taken wrong.

I have spent over three years in Europe and there is a mountain of difference between many of those countries and the U.S. in a myriad of ways.  I'm sure someone will ask in what ways here and then argue each point.  But, this is just my personal observation having actually lived there with a reasonable command of the German language and so forth.

My point is that we should be Americans.  We can't be like some European country.  We're different in just so many ways.

-- **Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.**

by r2did2 on Sun Jun 19, 2011 at 12:07:31 PM PDT

•  You're absolutely right about the (1+ / 0-)
        Calamity Jean

size and diversity of our country being an issue, but there are still ways we could improve how we handle our various social contracts.  I'm thinking a fair flat tax with no backdoors would make it possible for us to do all the things it's currently impossible to do - maintain SS and Medicare, improve education and healthcare, provide for families.

To me it's more a question of propaganda - people have been so thoroughly twisted in their thinking that we actually can't have conversations about improving health care?  Helping the needy?  Paying a living wage?  That's just insane, if you live in a world where people count for more than corporations do.  It's perfect if corporations are at the top of the food chain, it sucks if you aren't uber-wealthy.  And it's not worse now than it was in the 1890's or the 1920's or the freaking Middle Ages, it's just maddening that we haven't evolved enough to be propaganda-proof, IMO.

I do have that wildly idealistic streak under my grumpy cynic cap.

by I love OCD on Sun Jun 19, 2011 at 03:39:37 PM PDT