View Diary: Olbermann brings Shuster and Markos to CurrentTV (213 comments)

•  Which is exactly why I refuse to watch Rachel (3+ / 0-)

since Keith left.

Indeed, he admits the split was so bad he still has not spoken to onetime mentee Rachel Maddow: "There were lots of people who were forced to choose sides. And particularly in Rachel's case, I didn't want to add to the pressure on her already.

Rachel likely wouldn't even have her job at MSNBC if it weren't for Keith.  Friendship and loyalty trump everything else.  Shame on Rachel.  Her comment on the Bill Maher show the night that Keith announced it was his last show was pitiful.

To every millionaire who decries they don't want their grandchildren paying for the deficit, I say: PAY MORE TAXES NOW and your grandkids won't have a deficit burden.

by gooderservice on Tue Jun 07, 2011 at 05:48:18 PM PDT

•  i think you are being unfair ... (7+ / 0-)

Rachel acknowledged that Keith had been a major part of her being hired by MSNBC when she was on the Maher show... remember that they went on just as the news was breaking ... nobody knew any details ..just that Keith stated that was his last show on MSNBC

And I read Keith's remarks not as a rejection from Rachel, but as a real concern for her

And as long as Current Tv is not as readily available as MSNBC, then I want Rachel and Ed and even Lawrence on that network ...

Liberal commentators and intelligent reporters don't do anyone any good if they are not seen or heard

I hope they find a regular slot for David Shuster, not just a sub... I love the way he does interviews...he never lets the interviewee to get away with spewing false information

Give your heart a real workout! Love your enemies!

by moonbatlulu on Tue Jun 07, 2011 at 06:06:21 PM PDT

•  That's not my recollection, since I watched (1+ / 0-)
        Maikeru Ronin

the show live, so I verified it.

You can watch see for yourself.

i think you are being unfair ...

I, on the other hand, will not allow MSNBC to believe that I am a viewer of their network.  I have not turned the channel to MSNBC since Keith left, and I'm very proud of that.

(Ah, I take that back -- with one exception... the night that Ed Schultz did a live show from Madison.  I had to watch that.)

by gooderservice on Tue Jun 07, 2011 at 06:17:33 PM PDT

•  okay, sorry (1+ / 0-)
          gooderservice

But I do know that on some show, Rachel acknowledged that Keith was the reason she had a show on MSNBC

I will see if I can find that clip ... of course, first I have to remember what show she said it on! ;-)

Give your heart a real workout! Love your enemies!

by moonbatlulu on Tue Jun 07, 2011 at 07:11:56 PM PDT

•  I do believe you might be referring (1+ / 0-)
            ROGNM

to Rachel's Monday night show following the Friday that Keith left.

I watched a clip of her where she was talking about Keith's departure, and I do believe she gave him credit for her current job.

You don't need to prove it to me, unless you want to make a point.  I do believe you're right.

by gooderservice on Tue Jun 07, 2011 at 07:17:59 PM PDT

•  I think this is Keith's choice (11+ / 0-)

in being kind to Rachel and keeping her out of ackward situations in her work environment.

•  They are both in the entertainment business (0+ / 0-)

It's downright cut-throat. Both Maddow and Olbermann know that. They are in a business where, if their bosses feel like it, they could easily walk into the studio to find out their show cancelled. The entertainment business is ruthless and people going into it know that, while they can be hot today, they may not be tomorrow. Or perhaps the studio will want their "friend" to have a part they wanted and so forth.

•  Worries about "tampering" (5+ / 0-)

as well, perhaps. Keith saw what happened to David Shuster when he merely explored the idea of a jump to CNN when his contract was up; he may be trying to protect Rachel from similar repercussions if what she says gets too inconvenient for the top brass (or the advertisers).

Now to try to end the wars we ask our gay and straight soldiers to fight. -- Chris Hayes

by Cali Scribe on Tue Jun 07, 2011 at 08:36:30 PM PDT

•  True (1+ / 0-)
          Cali Scribe

But the other point is that the business they are both in is ruthless. Someone who's cool and hip today may be old news and yesterday's garbage tomorrow.

•  Exactly. (1+ / 0-)
          Cali Scribe

The head of Current news cannot publicly acknowledge that he's talked to the competition's talent. That would get Rachel in a lot of trouble. Maybe they've talked privately, maybe they haven't. We'll never know and it's nobody's business but their own. If they haven't, it's certainly no reason to boycott Maddow. She has a good gig and she is smart to avoid anything that would jeopardize that.

• Recommended (125)
  • Community (60)
  • Memorial Day (31)
  • Culture (23)
  • Environment (21)
  • Law (20)
  • Rescued (20)
  • Civil Rights (20)
  • Science (19)
  • Labor (18)
  • Education (17)
  • Elections (16)
  • Marriage Equality (16)
  • Media (16)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (16)
  • Economy (15)
  • Republicans (14)
  • Ireland (14)
  • Josh Duggar (13)
  • Racism (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site