View Diary: Why This New Facebook Meme of Drug-Testing Welfare Recipients is 100% Wrong (229 comments)

•  i used to be one (4+ / 0-)
    nickinnewyork, jessical, dwayne, dhajra

Of those people who would look at someone buying junk with their EBT cards. The reason I always thought it was poor choices because I knew how they could spend it better. For instance I would see them buy premade sandwichs and other premade items and I would know it was cheaper to buy the parts and make it yourself.

I agree with the diary though. The "waste" I always saw was the choices people would make.

•  Not everyone has that knowledge. (10+ / 0-)

Many people do not know how to cook from scratch these days. Yes, it is cheap to cook rice and beans from scratch. It is also cheap to make bread from scratch. I just don't know how to do it myself and have it taste good.

I'm on a big slow food kick right now and luckily live in a big agriculture area so I have that luxury and the luxury of a healthy food budget to experiment and teach  myself to cook. Not everyone has those luxuries.

"Pretty soon we're not going to be able to find reasonable decent people who are willing to subject themselves to serving public office." Sheriff Dupnik, AZ

by voracious on Thu Jun 09, 2011 at 05:18:34 PM PDT

•  well... (11+ / 0-)

...my mom used to say that when you give a person a gift, it is theirs.  That always seemed like good and ethical advice to me.  You don't own the recipient or their choices when you give the gift.  It is what you could do, you do it, and that is that.

There's a school of economics -- I cannot recall the cite, sorry -- which points out that the less you have, the shorter your frame of reference.  If you have diddly squat and no hope, then making it last doesn't register.  If you have diddly squat and think you can get somewhere better, then you try to make the little you have work.  I think this makes sense, based on those times in my life I have fought severe depression.  You just...don't...care.   I've never been on assistance, but I have had lots of times where I bought a sandwich with my last four bucks because it was that or stay curled in a ball.  Shopping for ingredients wasn't exactly on the menu of options.

...j'ai découvert que tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos dans une chambre.

by jessical on Thu Jun 09, 2011 at 05:43:02 PM PDT

•  I can attest to the frame of reference thing (2+ / 0-)
        Debby, nickinnewyork

I'm in an economic bind that is not permanent, but it does suck.

There are times when I could just give a damn about my credit rating, and I tell these fucking 4-year-olds who call me asking for money I do not have exactly that.  They say "well, can you pay (some ridiculous amount I do not have) right now?"  I say "no, I can't."  They literally seem to wait about 2 seconds and then ask "how about now?"

Then they drop the ominous threat that my credit might be damaged.  After the horse-fucking Chase gave me when I was so dumb as to PAY OFF one of their cards, I reply to them that I could give a ripe fuck about my credit.  I don't ever intend to have a revolving charge card again, I have my house and I'm keeping it in my cold dead hands if I have to, and as my wife has candidly informed me, anyone can buy a car, credit or no.

So I have a very devil-may-care approach to money these days, and if my last $10 goes mostly to a Starbucks', sometimes that is just what I'm going to do.  It's not enough to make any real difference.

Just in case you forgot today: REPUBLICANS VOTED TO END MEDICARE. AND THEY'LL DO IT AGAIN.

by slippytoad on Fri Jun 10, 2011 at 06:40:55 AM PDT

•  You have $5 (9+ / 0-)

And perhaps nowhere to cook or store food....

Yes, some people have terrible eating habits. Some don't know better, some probably just do not care.

Some just have no options like those of us with actual kitchens do.

Fuddle Duddle--- Pierre Trudeau.... Canadian politics at......A Creative Revolution

by pale cold on Thu Jun 09, 2011 at 06:25:18 PM PDT

•  That's really not for you to decide. (6+ / 0-)

They get a cap on what they receive. If they spend it all on premade sandwiches before the month is over, that's their business. They're just gonna be hungry until it comes again. Eventually, they learn to budget their funds.

And you don't know what they have already purchased or what's going on in their life. How do you know that person doesn't have pots full of beans, rice, greens, cornbread and weird hog parts on the stove at home? That's what many poor people eat and specifically, poor black or southern folks. It's ALL slow food and historically so.

How do you know that person wasn't just splurging on the treat of a premade sandwich because they've been sitting in a govt. building for 8 hours trying to keep their benefits coming to them? The one in my county doesn't allow food or drinks in the lobby and there's not much  fast food in downtown Cleveland, especially around 18th st unless you count the hot dog vendors that don't take food stamp cards. Maybe they'll get a fucking headache if they have to wait a few more hours on a slow cooked meal. Perhaps they'd get a dollar double cheeseburger at McDonald's if they had a dollar but they don't.

This kind of speculation about what the poor are doing with their benefits is a slippery slope. It's a prejudice that reeks of superiority, privilege, control, a violation of personal liberty and autonomy, etc. I get pretty annoyed when people try to imagine how many of the women receiving abortion is using it as birth control and wondering if they shouldn't. It's nobody's business. The service is available and women should have the right to use it without the inquisitions. Suggesting that women and poor people don't know any better is pretty insulting. Some people will abuse the system. You cannot do this kind of monitoring without punishing everyone. It's unfair.

"Warm smell of Moulitsas rising up in the air..." -seanwright

by GenXangster on Fri Jun 10, 2011 at 05:33:26 AM PDT

•  Maybe they don't have the means (0+ / 0-)

to keep sandwich fixings cool. Maybe they don't have a fridge so they can't buy a whole pack of baloney.

There's a reason Democrats won massively the last two cycles, and it wasn't because people were desperate for "bipartisanship". --kos

by Debby on Fri Jun 10, 2011 at 07:20:06 AM PDT