View Diary: An abortive "Bike to Work" Day ... with many bike to work days (110 comments)

•  You need a coaster brake hub, I think. (4+ / 0-)

I'd think carefully before relying on a coaster brake, though I know some single speed aficionados do. Rear brakes are supplementary; in hard braking weight shifts to the front wheel. A heavy application of rear brake only results in a useless skid.

When I'm braking on a steep hill I get out of the seat and throw my weight back over the rear wheel so I can use both brakes. I'm guessing that the single speed folks who use them have some anti-skid braking technique like that, or they just live without being able to stop fast.

I've lost my faith in nihilism

by grumpynerd on Sat Jun 11, 2011 at 12:22:03 PM PDT

•  Thanks. (3+ / 0-)

I have old Dura-Ace 7700 brakes laying around so I might as well use them. I think I was overcome with the nostalgia of using my coaster brake to power slide all over the place when I was a kid.

Does anyone make a cog to turn a regular road bike hub into a single speed?

Reaganomics: The belief that: 1) unregulated capitalism can produce unlimited goods for an unlimited number of people on a planet with finite resources; 2) You can increase revenue by decreasing revenue.

by FrY10cK on Sat Jun 11, 2011 at 12:44:55 PM PDT

•  I think you want to look at Sheld Brown's website (4+ / 0-)
        Lujane, FrY10cK, pHunbalanced, HeyMikey

He's got lots of articles on stuff like setting up a single speed bike.

Yes, obviously there are single speed freewheeling hubs but you have to make sure you get one that fits your frame.  The most common freewheeling hubs are sized for smaller BMX frames.

Depending on the manufacturer of your hub, I think you can just take your existing wheel and mount a cluster in which all the cogs but one have been replaced with spacers. Details are in the Sheldon Brown article. That makes more sense than building or buying a new single speed wheel, until you're sure single speed is for you.  Then by all means build a custom single speed wheel. It will be lighter and stronger because it doesn't have to be dished to accommodate the cluster.

I've lost my faith in nihilism

by grumpynerd on Sat Jun 11, 2011 at 01:09:19 PM PDT

•  Great info. (0+ / 0-)

There must be a cog+spacer thingy that you can just buy off the shelf but I'm not sure what to term to google:

single speed cassette?
          cog with built in spacer?
          etc.

by FrY10cK on Sat Jun 11, 2011 at 05:45:05 PM PDT

•  That Sheldon Brown page bears studying. (1+ / 0-)
          pHunbalanced

After a quick look, it seems to indicate you can put a BMX cog on a Shimano freehub.

The best choice for this is to use BMX cassette sprockets. These sprockets are quite inexpensive, and are available in a range of sizes. They have taller teeth than sprockets designed for derailer use.

That section is a little unclear though.

by FrY10cK on Sat Jun 11, 2011 at 06:03:43 PM PDT

•  Yeah, basically... (1+ / 0-)
            FrY10cK

You can buy single-speed cogs that fit on a standard multi-speed cassette, and use spacers (or even sections of PVC pipe) to replace the other cogs.

Here's a kit:

Or you can just get a cog:

and improvise the spacers.  Every cassette(gear cluster) contains spacers.  When I converted mine, I found the spacers from two cassettes gave me enough to convert one to single speed.  You already have one cassette, so you just need one junked cassette to tear apart.

You'll also need some special tools, a cheap kit should do it:

•  Mucho gracias (0+ / 0-)

for the links.

by FrY10cK on Sun Jun 12, 2011 at 04:03:54 AM PDT

•  3-speed internally geared? (0+ / 0-)

How about a Shimano Nexus internally geared hub? Those work with coaster brakes. They come in 3, 4, 7, and 8 speeds, IIRC.

"The true strength of our nation comes not from the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals." - Barack Obama

by HeyMikey on Sat Jun 11, 2011 at 08:44:49 PM PDT

•  they've just come out with an 11 too (1+ / 0-)
              HeyMikey

my bike has the 8.. sometimes I wish it had a couple more speeds on the high end.

•  Bigger chainring? NT (0+ / 0-)

by HeyMikey on Sat Jun 11, 2011 at 09:47:27 PM PDT

• Recommended (143)
  • Community (70)
  • Memorial Day (28)
  • Elections (26)
  • Environment (26)
  • Civil Rights (26)
  • Culture (25)
  • Media (25)
  • Law (24)
  • Science (23)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (22)
  • Labor (21)
  • Economy (20)
  • Rescued (20)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Marriage Equality (18)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Education (17)
  • Republicans (17)
  • Climate Change (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site