View Diary: Interview with Jon Green, Connecticut Working Families (52 comments)

•  Paid Time Off (PTO) (2+ / 0-)
    johnny wurster, Joe Dinkin

Congratulations to CT for passing its mandatory sick day legislation. I know that many workers don't have any paid vacation or sick days, which is very unfortunate. For organizations who have both, or are adding sick days to a plan that already has paid vacation, I really favor the concept of combining vacation and sick days into a single number which is called Paid Time Off or PTO. I think this program has many benefits over having separate vacation and sick days. First, it provides for employee confidentiality, including when they are visiting their physician. No doctor notes are required. It no longer matters why you are taking a day or more off, you are using your PTOs. Co-workers don't complain when some people take all of their sick days when they don't. People who don't use their sick days have more vacation time. It also reduces the administrative burden because a single record is kept, rather than accruing vacation and sick days separately.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Sun Jun 12, 2011 at 07:17:25 AM PDT

•  it's a useful concept many groups use (1+ / 0-)
      VClib

although it's not unusual to move from vac/sick to PTO and lose a little time in the bargain.

The thing I like about it though is getting away from the idea that sick days are "my time to use as I want days".

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

by Greg Dworkin on Sun Jun 12, 2011 at 07:21:48 AM PDT

•  "My time....." (2+ / 0-)
        VClib, ladybug53

I worked for a company for over 10 years that did offer paid sick days and I had no requirement to "prove" I was truly sick.  We lost 'em if we didn't take 'em.  So, we created a phrase for when we took off without being physically sick...."mental health day".

Know what?  We had a super atmosphere there and people were energetic and worked as a team and we "covered" for each other when we took one of these now and then.  I don't see anything wrong with it.  In the end, it's even good for employers who have a workforce that works hard and stays focused and dedicated because they are given this kind of "bennie".

-- **Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.**

by r2did2 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 at 07:32:58 AM PDT

•  it's misused (1+ / 0-)
          VClib

sick time is for sick time. You aren't owed it as a "use it or lose it" bennie. Whenever you're out, it's a burden on your coverage.

PTO means it's your time, use it as you want.

by Greg Dworkin on Sun Jun 12, 2011 at 07:47:22 AM PDT

•  Agreed (2+ / 0-)
            DemFromCT, VClib

I wasn't arguing one against the other.  I like the PTO deal..and under it "mental health days" would be available only they would be qualified.

No disagreement here.

by r2did2 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 at 07:49:53 AM PDT

•  I rarely use sick days, so the PTO system is (1+ / 0-)
      VClib

great for me.

•  Donovan (1+ / 0-)
      CT Hank

Hank, you're absolutely right.

Working Families hasn't yet endorsed a candidate in the Congressional race shaping up in the 5th CD, but that being said, you're totally right on your comments on Chris Donovan.

He's a real progressive champion, especially for economic justice issues. You'd be hard pressed to find a better ally anywhere.

•  We have this at work (1+ / 0-)
      VClib