View Diary: Criminal InJustice Kos: CIK at Netroots Nation (193 comments)

•  And you in my head. Such good (5+ / 0-)

company!

For example:  any ship billing itself "unsinkable" – a sure red flag.

Or if you find yourself on board with a microcosm of haunted, menacing, unstable people instead of just a loopy group of party goers:  watch out.

Or when the weather radio stops working:  abandon ship!

And in all cases:  keep your core warm!  Hence:  wet suits.  Neoprene is an all-purpose waterwear fabric.

Teach us to listen to sounds larger than our own heartbeat; that endure longer than our own weeping in the dark. - Lillian Smith

by RadioGirl on Wed Jun 15, 2011 at 06:22:51 PM PDT

•  But does neoprene... (4+ / 0-)

have the ability to help you float!  And the salt water?  What's your book say about that?!

I for one am tired of pandering to perpetrators --- many of whom are opposed to any discussion however it comes. -- soothsayer99 DPK Caucus

by princss6 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 at 06:24:39 PM PDT

•  Fresh water supplies (4+ / 0-)

are everything.

Zinc oxide.

Water.

Water in strange, odd, squishy
        little containers that are not
        difficult to carry.

Fishing hook and wire/line.

Neoprene.

The road to success.

by RadioGirl on Wed Jun 15, 2011 at 06:28:14 PM PDT

•  And I forgot... (4+ / 0-)

it is easier to float in salt water!

by princss6 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 at 06:30:28 PM PDT

•  Yep. But exposure and (5+ / 0-)

hypothermia - those are the
            biggies.

Oh, and dehydration.

Also:  sharks also eat floating
            things, not just sinking or
            thrashing things.

by RadioGirl on Wed Jun 15, 2011 at 06:41:07 PM PDT

•  oh great! (4+ / 0-)

This is why you can't trust the media. They have me thinking as long as I don't bleed or thrash, Jaws would swim by. Sigh. No swimming in any large bodies of water, including pools. Especially pools since I saw on the TV that allegedly there are no sharks in pools!  I don't believe them!

by princss6 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 at 09:04:59 PM PDT

•  You have to read "Close to Shore" (6+ / 0-)

Story of a rogue Great White shark attacking folks vacationing or enjoying day trips to the Jersey shore in 1916. Factual.

Even has a Philadelphia angle.
                Close to Shore.

I couldn't put it down!

Also, and this is truly sad.  Ever since I read (and don't know if it's really true) that most shark attacks occur in 3 feet of water or less, I'm a nervous shore wader.  Forget swimming out!  I can't believe I once snorkeled off of Catalina Island, oblivious to the sharks that periodically appear there.

But here's the REAL kicker story.  Once, in the Yucatan, I met a Navy SEAL and his wife who were down for a diving vacation around Cozumel.  He said he was deathly afraid of sharks, but liked to dive safely to confront his fear, and that he really never had run into sharks in his dives.

So they go to Cozumel and go out on one of the countless deep water dive boats, and they're down there, and they suddenly start seeing sharks.  Turned out the dive boat operator was chumming the waters to attract big fish for the entertainment of the non-diving passengers.  He said he'd never been more terrified in his life.

He had lots of advice for us – advice he learned too late -  in case we were thinking of diving.  Of course, I was not even contemplating it, and after that story, neither did my friend.

by RadioGirl on Thu Jun 16, 2011 at 07:45:48 AM PDT