View Diary: Obama's Thinking on Anthony Weiner Reveals a Disturbing Double Standard (134 comments)

•  I can't work up any more sympathy (10+ / 0-)

for Weiner.  If he stays, he stays.  If not I'm sure he'll be a productive member of society in whatever he does.  He's not Gandhi.  The world will survive if he leaves congress. This is getting beyond tedious.

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you.

by chicago minx on Wed Jun 15, 2011 at 10:19:46 AM PDT

•  I sense an age divide on the question (0+ / 0-)

Younger people, tending to see no one person (even Obama) as essential to the causes, feel Weiner should go.  They tend to see the sin as having lied to his supporters.

Older people tend to see this as defending against puritanism.
      Look, it's a NYC Liberal Jew cheating on his Cosmopolitan Muslim Wife.  This is hardly something the puritans want to defend.

For those of you who prefer Bartlett to Obama, re-watch the West Wing. For those who prefer Clinton, re-watch old news videos.

by Ptolemy on Wed Jun 15, 2011 at 10:24:15 AM PDT

•  I'm 59 (9+ / 0-)

and I'm beyond caring.

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you.

by chicago minx on Wed Jun 15, 2011 at 10:26:02 AM PDT

•  Define old. (3+ / 0-)
        JTinDC, FiredUpInCA, foufou

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
        I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
        -Spike Milligan

by polecat on Wed Jun 15, 2011 at 10:39:01 AM PDT

•  My perception is the exact opposite. (1+ / 0-)
        chicago minx

Seems it's older folks are more inclined towards puritanism and the young who are willing to forgive and forget.

Could very well be that both our perceptions are wrong and age has nothing to do with it.

Ds see human suffering and wonder what they can do to relieve it. Rs see human suffering and wonder how they can profit from it.

by JTinDC on Wed Jun 15, 2011 at 11:04:37 AM PDT

•  Younger folks are more willing to forgive (0+ / 0-)

Forgive the sexual aspect here.

But they want Weiner to leave because they are sick of this conversation, and they don't see defending one man as consistent with a democracy.

Had the Gen Y kids been of voting age in the 90s, Clinton might very well have been toast, simply because MoveOn (censure and moveon) didn't work, and they would have wanted him to leave the stage.

They are not puritans or anti-puritans, they just fatigue easily about sex scandals.  They see them as the foible of old people.

by Ptolemy on Wed Jun 15, 2011 at 12:02:39 PM PDT

•  I assume you mean to put this out there as your (0+ / 0-)

personal supposition, right? You're not meaning to say this is emprically true.

by JTinDC on Wed Jun 15, 2011 at 12:16:32 PM PDT

•  I'm 27 and I think Weiner should resign (2+ / 0-)
        foufou, Ptolemy

I'm on Bill Maher, Keith Olberman, Jon Stewart's side on this matter

Republicans secret dream = the impeachment of Bo the Dog LOL

by LaurenMonica on Wed Jun 15, 2011 at 12:28:25 PM PDT

•  Yeah, and I think Maher, Olberman and Stewart (0+ / 0-)

Reflect their largely younger viewers' majority opinion.
          Resign, but not because of the sexual aspect.
          Resign because this is getting distracting, and you're not essential (no one is essential)
          Resign so the voters can elect you back in to replace yourself, and no one else gets to voice an opinion
          Resign because you hung us out to dry and this is embarassing for us that you lied to us

by Ptolemy on Wed Jun 15, 2011 at 03:42:39 PM PDT