View Diary: Sources: Rep. Anthony Weiner to resign from Congress (364 comments)

•  The double standard (9+ / 0-)

won't disappear any time soon.

"My father always told me that all businessmen were sons of bitches, but I never believed it until now." - JFK during the 1962 Steel Crisis

by Betty Pinson on Thu Jun 16, 2011 at 07:47:22 AM PDT

•  Don't know -- Chris Lee got chased out (7+ / 0-)

for going topless. No crotch shot required.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Thu Jun 16, 2011 at 08:22:08 AM PDT

•  Not relevant (3+ / 0-)
        Johnny Q, caul, greengemini

GOP bigs went to Lee and told him, "You're a nobody.  Scram."  And he did as told.  It was smart political calculation by leadership.  Nothing approaching principle going on there.

Weiner, on the other hand, was an actual force in Congress.  Whatevs.  He and his wife are planning his comeback as we speak.

•  Of course it is. You have standards or you don't. (5+ / 0-)
          Matt Z, caul, VickiL, JazzQuipster, foufou

The belief that "your guys"  can get away with anything because they're, well, your guys, you make the argument of royals and pretenders. The rules don't apply to you because you're not like the unclean masses. Inappropriate for a party the root of whose name comes from the Greek for "the people".

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Thu Jun 16, 2011 at 09:10:28 AM PDT

•  You misinterpret what I was saying (1+ / 0-)
            dinotrac

If it were up to me, Lee would have stayed in office forever, giving his scandal more legs.  He left because he was a nobody and was told to do so.  Good for him.  It would have been a smart move for the GOP, had they not ended up losing that seat eventually.

There's no issue of moral or principle here whatsoever.

•  You're right, I do. That explanation is (2+ / 0-)
              diffrntdrummr, bluehen96

completely defensible.  Thanks for clearing the air.

Personally, I wouldn't have chased either one out.  I don't like to deprive voters of their choice without a damned good reason.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Thu Jun 16, 2011 at 11:55:54 AM PDT

•  The mirror opposite is the reason why... (6+ / 0-)
          erush1345, Matt Z, caul, VickiL, WillR, foufou

...Weiner needed to resign. He was a strong and visible advocate for progressive causes. Then he got caught engaging in bad behavior compounded by flat-out lies about said behavior. Because of that he has become a liability to the progressive movement.  Sad to say about someone I once admired, but he had to go for the good of all. Time to move on.

•  It was also cause (1+ / 0-)
          caul

they found out or he knew that he'd been trolling for trannies.
          This was a preemptive act.

"The United States should have a foundation free from the influence of clergy."Thomas Jefferson (also attributed to George Washington and John Adams)

by regis on Thu Jun 16, 2011 at 10:03:24 AM PDT

•  Was That All? (2+ / 0-)
          caul, Mimikatz

Lee caved fast in such a way that made me think there was more to this than just topless pics. He seemed like he was at least looking to cheat, something I didn't sense at any point during this Weiner scandal.

If Weiner had actually committed adultery I don't think he'd have held out so long.

I know he's a favorite around here, but he's a speech-and-debate guy first and foremost, and when a guy like that becomes a punchline his days are numbered. A nuts-and-bolts legislator could more easily recover from something like this.

Stuck Between Stations : Thoughts from a bottomless pool of useless information.

by Answer Guy on Thu Jun 16, 2011 at 10:11:07 AM PDT