View Diary: OPEN LETTER TO KOS: TAKE DOWN SANTORUM LIES (65 comments)

•  There is a basis to the charge that (1+ / 0-)
    tardis10

Santorum et al are hypocritical

`The doctors said they were talking about a matter of hours or a day or two before risking sepsis and both of them might die,'' Santorum said. `Obviously, if it was a choice of whether both Karen and the child are going to die or just the child is going to die, I mean it's a pretty easy call.''
    Santorum said her labor proceeded without having to induce an abortion.

Karen, a soft-spoken red-haired 37-year-old, said that “ultimately” she would have agreed to intervention for the sake of her other children.

“If the physician came to me and said if we don’t deliver your baby in one hour you will be dead, yeah, I would have to do it,” she said. “But for me, it was at the very end. I would never make a decision like that until all other means had been thoroughly exhausted.”
     Steve Goldstein, Philadelphia Inquirer,  May 4, 1997

-6.25 -7.08 The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

by Unit Zero on Fri Jun 17, 2011 at 11:06:20 AM PDT

•  How so? (0+ / 0-)

Note that these are hypotheticals, which pretty much proves that the original post is not true.

And note that neither of these quotes are actually pro-abortion. YES, it's hypocritical, Rick Santorum sucks. I'm just saying that this "gotcha" story is not true! I wish it was! I would love nothing more!

•  The fact that both (1+ / 0-)
        tardis10

Ricky and Karen would have gone ahead with an induced abortion if she had not spontaneously aborted is at the bare minimum hypocritical.

Ricky has stated that there is no reason for abortion - even if the mothers life is in danger - except if it is his wife.

While the specific facts are in doubt, the issue is not. The Santorums are first and formost hypocrites.

by Unit Zero on Fri Jun 17, 2011 at 11:22:25 AM PDT

•  a nurse speaks (1+ / 0-)
          Unit Zero

in comment section of this postby Alan Colmes

from: OldLefty Reply:
              June 12th, 2011 at 20:35

...I got my facts from doctors and my own nursing education.

Induction IS termination; any artificial means is termination, this is chemical, not mechanical.  ...

[...]

She was septic..her temp was 105. It was done to save her life.

from the NYT 2005; ‘After resisting at first, she allowed doctors to give her the drug Pitocin to speed the birth. Gabriel lived just two hours.’

Many of Dr Tiller’s patients were in similar situations.

What is hypocritical is when he wants to make those decisions for others.

Faux News ruined my state

by sc kitty on Fri Jun 17, 2011 at 11:40:59 AM PDT

•  Yeah, that's not the full quote (0+ / 0-)

See above:

"She went into labor when she was 20 weeks pregnant. After resisting at first, she allowed doctors to give her the drug Pitocin to speed the birth. Gabriel lived just two hours."

She was already in labor.

•  If they truly believed that (0+ / 0-)

abortion is wrong, they would have never allowed Pitocin to be administered. There was zero chance that the fetus would survive, and by inducing full labor, the Santorums did terminate the pregnancy.

Pitocin is used to induce a "termination of pregnancy" otherwise known as an abortion.

You have proved my point by this.

by Unit Zero on Fri Jun 17, 2011 at 12:14:46 PM PDT

•  so what if she was in labor? (0+ / 0-)

did they know how long her labor would be?

Any fever that goes above 105 degrees Fahrenheit is a life-threatening medical emergency

Faux News ruined my state

by sc kitty on Fri Jun 17, 2011 at 12:24:12 PM PDT

•  But hypotheticals and reality... (0+ / 0-)

Are two different things. The article clearly states it was NOT an abortion.

And sadly, it turns out he was NOT being hypocritical, if you read the article:

"Santorum opposes abortion ``except in the cases of rape, incest or [to save] the life of the mother.'' He believes Roe v. Wade should be reversed so that states could regulate and restrict abortion, and opposes public funding of abortion.

In the interview, the senator said that his wife's experience reinforced rather than altered his views about abortion.

``I'm not suggesting that abortion is never medically called for to save the life of the mother,'' he said. ``But my son's fetal abnormality was never a threat to Karen. You don't abandon him because there's something wrong with him.''

As you can see, in 1997 Santorum had very different views. He clearly has changed his mind since. I HATE defending the guy, but it ain't true!