View Diary: Countdown with Keith Olbermann returns TONIGHT at 8 PM Eastern (163 comments)

•  I'm excited. I want US to (14+ / 0-)

create a resoundingly anti-wingnut echo chamber more effective, pitiless, and constant than Fox.

From Neocon to sane- thanks to Obama- and Kos.

by satrap on Mon Jun 20, 2011 at 09:32:20 AM PDT

•  so who loses out? Lawrence O'donnell? (1+ / 0-)
      TofG

at 8pm?

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis, 1935 --Talk of foresight--

by tuma on Mon Jun 20, 2011 at 10:06:55 AM PDT

•  Not really (3+ / 0-)
        TofG, Doctor Frog, My Name Isnt Earl

Lawrence has repeats, and so does Keith.

Even without a DVR, you can still see both of them.

"We have only the moral ground we actually inhabit, not the moral ground we claim." - It Really Is That Important

by Diogenes2008 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 at 10:08:09 AM PDT

•  I hope people choose to just watch Keith (4+ / 0-)
          TofG, Diogenes2008, allergywoman, Matt Z

As their 8 pm news/commentary show.  I haven't watched Lawrence since Keith was pushed out, and it bothers me a lot that LOD's show is getting almost the same ratings Keith's did-- meaning MSNBC gained financially (lower salary) by forcing Keith out.  That's not just.

I've been hoping that Keith's launch will force LOD's ratings down.

I've watched Rachel a fair amount since Keith left, and occasionally have caught Cenk and Ed and even on rare occasion Tweety; but LOD's spot is rightfully Keith's, and I'll never watch him in that spot.

Plus, LOD isn't much of a host IMO anyway-- supporting the tax giveaway to the rich (as part of the "compromise"), saying nice things about the Catfood Commission, and having a dull style.  Even when Keith was still on MSNBC I rarely watched LOD.

So yes, it's possible to watch both Keith and Lawrence through DVR or reruns if you want to...but why would you want to?

Economic -3.50/Social -2.41

by CenterLeft on Mon Jun 20, 2011 at 10:46:27 AM PDT

•  Watch Lawrence again. (2+ / 0-)
            anotherdemocrat, RJP9999

He has loosened up a lot.  I've been watching him more and more.

•  From what I gather (0+ / 0-)

from interviews Keith has done, it was less a "pushing out" than a mutual parting of the ways; what was off was the timing (being told shortly before he went on air that it was his last show). It started apparently not long after Tim Russert's sudden death; Russert was one of Olbermann's biggest supporters and with his network longevity his opinions likely carried a lot of weight in the news division.

He seems much more relaxed and free since he left, and he's going to have a measure of control at Current that's been missing in all his other jobs. (With him as Chief News Officer, if he screws up he'll have to suspend or fire himself.)

Keith's new show will be repeated something like 7 times -- so there'll be plenty of times to catch the show.

Now to try to end the wars we ask our gay and straight soldiers to fight. -- Chris Hayes

by Cali Scribe on Mon Jun 20, 2011 at 04:24:21 PM PDT

•  Good. I'm still at work at 8 pm. If Keith's rerun (0+ / 0-)

clashes with anyone other than Rachel, I'll be watching Keith.

Scratch that, I can watch Rachel on the Intertubes.

One nation, indivisible.

by Doctor Frog on Mon Jun 20, 2011 at 01:43:54 PM PDT

•  I hope Lawrence, Rachel, and Ed Schultz (8+ / 0-)

all move over to Current.

Any network that spends as much time as MSNBC on prison shows can wither away as far as I'm concerned. That stuff reflects a real institutional (in the network, the prisons themselves, the viewers) sickness.

Reaganomics: The belief that: 1) Unregulated capitalism can produce unlimited goods for unlimited people on a planet with finite resources; 2) We can increase revenue by decreasing revenue.

by FrY10cK on Mon Jun 20, 2011 at 10:50:19 AM PDT

•  Lawrence began to loosen up..... (3+ / 0-)
          FrY10cK, Palafox, anotherdemocrat

literally to the day that the new Countdown was announced.

My impression:  'so fire me, NBC.'

•  Really. (2+ / 0-)
            Palafox, ejoanna

I have no inside information. Just wishful thinking. I'd really like Current to become a media powerhouse.

I wonder if Ed Schultz gets along with KO? They're both pretty fiery and temperamental. I'd like to see Cenk Uyger go to Current too.

by FrY10cK on Mon Jun 20, 2011 at 12:37:10 PM PDT

•  that's my impression of Lawrence, too (1+ / 0-)
            FrY10cK

during his harping on Trump, it seemed to me he was waving his arms & saying "fire me!!!!!!!" (actually I kept thinking of Tommy Lee Jones in MiB, literally jumping up & down & yelling at the bug to eat him -- and I figured Lawrence had something in mind that would have had similar consequences for the suits had they fired him)

I don't always like him, but I love his passion on the choice issue & for Planned Parenthood. For that, I'll move him into the good guy column.

•  as opposed to Current... (1+ / 0-)
          FrY10cK

where the inaugural Countdown show is sandwiched between The Oxycontin Express and Gateway to Heroin?

Be alert, look alive, and act like you know.

by cheese weasel on Mon Jun 20, 2011 at 12:45:58 PM PDT

•  Yeah, I don't really get that. (0+ / 0-)

I've only briefly glimpsed those drug shows on Current. I couldn't stand what little I saw. Why is that crap popular? It's almost as bad as the prison shows.

by FrY10cK on Mon Jun 20, 2011 at 01:07:16 PM PDT

•  it takes a lot of crap to fill the schedule 24/7 (1+ / 0-)
              FrY10cK

I think Current will be cycling crap out as they continue to develop real on-theme shows.... like Countdown 2.0

"real" work : a job where you wash your hands BEFORE you use the bathroom...

by chimene on Mon Jun 20, 2011 at 02:26:48 PM PDT

•  You should have watched more than 2 seconds of (1+ / 0-)
              Cali Scribe

it then, because it wasn't crap. It exposed the drug industry, the "doctors" that are "prescribing" that crap to our citizens, the effects all of that is having on people's lives. I watched the whole thing and have a new understanding of what is really happening in our country. Too bad you aren't as informed because we need people to recognize what is happening before we can do anything to fix it.

•  I watched those and they are nothing like (3+ / 0-)
            Gram E, Palafox, ejoanna

MSNBC's prison crap. They are exposing the people pushing these drugs on our citizens, the lengths they go to and how it's affecting people's lives. You are comparing two things that are completely different, maybe you should have watched them before spewing. That said, Current is going to be a 24 hours news show eventually.

• Recommended (128)
  • Community (59)
  • 2016 (50)
  • Environment (39)
  • Elections (37)
  • Media (34)
  • Republicans (32)
  • Hillary Clinton (31)
  • Law (29)
  • Jeb Bush (29)
  • Culture (27)
  • Iraq (27)
  • Barack Obama (26)
  • Climate Change (25)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (25)
  • Civil Rights (24)
  • Labor (20)
  • Economy (20)
  • LGBT (16)
  • Congress (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site