View Diary: September is Coming... But what will happen? (83 comments)

•  Did you read the "Song of Fire and Ice" series? (5+ / 0-)

Definitely one of the best series ever written.

I cannot wait for "A Dance with Dragons" to come out on July 12.....been waiting forever!

"Stay close to the candles....the staircase can be treacherous" (-8.38,-8.51)

by JNEREBEL on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 04:02:25 PM PDT

•  YEP.... I have a pre-order in for the 12th (5+ / 0-)

One of the best series I have ever read. I love the way the characters change and grow. I really also like the reality of it in such an unreal setting.

It sums up political gamesmanship so perfectly.

I am curious what do you think of Tyrion and Jaime who change radically and then Catelyn Stark?

DK4: For those times when pissing in the hummus isn't enough

by volleyboy1 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 04:14:37 PM PDT

•  AGREED! (4+ / 0-)

Those are precisely the reasons why I have loved this series.

Definitely one of the best ever written. The reality is stark (ha!), major characters drop like flies, and bad things happen to good people.

It truly does sum up the gamemanship and brinkmanship of politics and power and does so in a very realistic way in a very unreal setting.

Tyrion is in many ways the heart and soul of the series. A character Shakespeare would have been envious to create.  And Jamie does indeed grow but he still pushed Bran out that window so no forgiveness, ever.

Catelyn is perhaps the one I still don't understand. What exactly is happening with her?

"Stay close to the candles....the staircase can be treacherous" (-8.38,-8.51)

by JNEREBEL on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 04:22:38 PM PDT

•  shh (6+ / 0-)

I'm 2/3 thru Book 2. No spoilers. Definitely liking the Imp. And Daenyras.

In loving memory: Sophie, June 1, 1993-January 17, 2005. My huckleberry friend.

by Paul in Berkeley on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 04:36:47 PM PDT

•  Well (SPOILER ALERT!!!!) (3+ / 0-)
          Mets102, Corwin Weber, JNEREBEL

As for Tyrion, I agree - he really is a hero pretending to be an anti-hero. I enjoy reading about him. He saves the kingdom and what does he get for it????

Jaime, I have a different take on than you. He is so far a figure about redemption. He did push Bran but, then he saved thousands of lives by fairly treating with Riverrun. Also, he tries to save Sansa with Brienne. Finally, even though he crippled Bran remember that his crippling awakens his power. So in the end, will that be a bad thing (well yeah - but you know what I am saying). I am starting to like Jaime because now that he has been "brought back to Earth" (so to speak) he realizes he is a normal human being, and starts to do good things with that knowledge.

Catelyn is a figure that was good and turns evil being consumed with vengence. I mean she is raised from the dead by the Lightening Lord (Dondarrian) and then goes on a mission to hunt down her killers and everyone that even knows them. She is so consumed with vengence she hangs Brienne who is trying to save Sansa.

But yeah, the series is great. As Paul in Berkeley says: "Any series that kills off the lead character 2/3 thorough the first book is good with me".

The realism of this is amazing, I think George RR Martin did not write a fantasy series, he wrote a great book about morality and power politics in the guise of a fantasy series.

DK4: For those times when pissing in the hummus isn't enough

by volleyboy1 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 04:40:06 PM PDT

•  asdf (2+ / 0-)
            Mets102, volleyboy1

Very well put about Jaime.

I recognize the growth but it is hard getting past that. Which also kinda explains Catelyn actually, showing how vengeance and revenge can consume what was once a honorable person (with exception of her treatment of Jon) if left to run rampant.

A good I/P analogy too!

"Stay close to the candles....the staircase can be treacherous" (-8.38,-8.51)

by JNEREBEL on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 07:41:03 PM PDT