View Diary: Climate Talks: "Dead in the Water" (56 comments)

•  Look, we all know we're probably (3+ / 0-)
    pbearsailor, WarrenS, neroden

going to hell with what humanity is doing in the face of this crisis. And we all feel helpless to do anything. But some of us have decided to not let the anger destroy us, and others are suffering under extreme anger and depression. That's the only difference here.

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 at 05:34:00 PM PDT

•  I am responding to the comment (3+ / 0-)
      psilocynic, Losty, neroden

that the earth will survive our crisis.

The issue for me is whether humanity can survive the crisis.

If destroying the earth would save humanity I would be all for destroying the earth, but for the foreseeable future this is home.

Beliefs that don't appeal to reason are unreasonable.

by Sam Wise Gingy on Tue Jun 21, 2011 at 05:51:03 PM PDT

•  While I can appreciate you caring about (1+ / 0-)
        psilocynic

the human race, I look at it more like we are just one species of animal that lives here on this planet. And we all owe it to the planet to leave it in the same condition in which we found it. I think we owe it to future creatures that will roam this planet to do all we can to preserve it, even at our own expense.

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 at 05:53:58 PM PDT

•  We don't have to let the biosphere of our planet (2+ / 0-)
          doc2, A Siegel

die.

There are plenty of solutions to our current crisis that can preserve to the bulk of humanity.

Beliefs that don't appeal to reason are unreasonable.

by Sam Wise Gingy on Tue Jun 21, 2011 at 06:03:01 PM PDT

•  Good thing that it won't, then... (0+ / 0-)

Look, evolution works. Life on Earth has already survived mass extinctions of a far greater magnitude than anything that human-driven environmental changes are going to produce, and no matter what we do or do not do, the planet and life on it will be just fine, given a few million years or so.

"Save the planet" is a dumb slogan, and we've been shouting it for 40 years, and it hasn't worked.

--Shannon

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." -- Emiliano Zapata Salazar
            "Dissent is patriotic. Blind obedience is treason." --me

by Leftie Gunner on Tue Jun 21, 2011 at 09:54:25 PM PDT

•  Sorry ... (1+ / 0-)
          neroden

I don't see why other species merit prioritization over our own ... targeting sustainability that sustains the human race along with other species.

Blogging regularly at Get Energy Smart NOW! for a sustainable energy future.

by A Siegel on Tue Jun 21, 2011 at 08:08:57 PM PDT

•  Agree ... (1+ / 0-)
        neroden
        The issue for me is whether humanity can survive the crisis.

wholeheartedly.

Blogging regularly at Get Energy Smart NOW! for a sustainable energy future.

by A Siegel on Tue Jun 21, 2011 at 08:08:00 PM PDT