View Diary: Keep my ride (and wallet) alive (97 comments)

•  I used to drive at 55, but..... (2+ / 0-)
    Oh Mary Oh, suspiciousmind

when I switched from my elderly van to a 2006 truck, I found that overdrive doesn't kick in until about 62 mph. So that's my cruising speed.

Other than that, I coast to red lights, pace myself so that I'm not stopping and going, avoid traffic and don't load the truck with unnecessary weight.

Freedom has two enemies: Those who want to control everyone around them...and those who feel no need to control themselves.

by Sirenus on Thu Jun 23, 2011 at 06:03:04 AM PDT

•  So, 62mph in the city is your optimum (0+ / 0-)

cruising speed?  That sounds pretty fast.  Do you have any concerns about swapping safety of pedestrians and other drives, or getting a speeding ticket?  Wouldn't either of those negate your fuel efficiency gains?

http://www.bornagreen.blogspot.com - my website that details my efforts at living a green, minimalist and low waste lifestyle. :-)

by xysea on Thu Jun 23, 2011 at 06:09:26 AM PDT

•  I'm going to take a wild guess and say (5+ / 0-)

62 is probably on the freeway cruising speed .

"Drop the name-calling." Meteor Blades 2/4/11

by indycam on Thu Jun 23, 2011 at 06:38:28 AM PDT

•  You must admit, he didn't make it clear (0+ / 0-)

and you're just guessing.  :-)

by xysea on Thu Jun 23, 2011 at 06:39:08 AM PDT

•  So your advice would be to do 55 on city streets ? (0+ / 0-)

"Drop the name-calling." Meteor Blades 2/4/11

by indycam on Thu Jun 23, 2011 at 07:57:11 AM PDT

•  Don't be silly. (0+ / 0-)

I would recommend following the stated speed limit, wherever.  All the gains of fuel efficiency would be negated by a speeding ticket.

by xysea on Thu Jun 23, 2011 at 08:57:09 AM PDT

•  Don't be silly ? (0+ / 0-)
                So, 62mph in the city is your optimum cruising speed?

"Drop the name-calling." Meteor Blades 2/4/11

by indycam on Thu Jun 23, 2011 at 09:28:22 AM PDT

•  Exactly - see the comment below (0+ / 0-)

I live in a mid-size town.  Many of our main thoroughfares are 45mph speed limits.  I see many people who are cruising at 55-60mph in these zones each morning as I commute to work.

I think it's fair to observe this and ask if the original commenter meant city or highway.

For some reason, you have a bone to pick with me, as if I somehow had my right to ask questions suspended or something.  Hopefully, you get over that real soon.

by xysea on Thu Jun 23, 2011 at 10:23:31 AM PDT

•  I did y'all the compliment of assuming you have (1+ / 0-)
            indycam

the good sense to realize that one usually "cruises" at 62mph on highways.

(Though here in Texas, where speed limits are seen as suggestions instead of commands, most drivers cruise at 70+mph, until they are one car length behind someone--often me.)

Maybe I was too optimistic. Re your good sense.

BTW, "he" is a 60 year old woman.

by Sirenus on Thu Jun 23, 2011 at 07:57:44 AM PDT

•  I have seen plenty of people (0+ / 0-)

who cruise at 55 or 60 in town, in a 45mph hour zone.   It's not that far-fetched.  And it doesn't mean I lack common sense that I observe such a thing.

by xysea on Thu Jun 23, 2011 at 09:01:48 AM PDT

•  Rural Texas. Jacksboro Highway. (2+ / 0-)
        indycam, TexasTom

AKA Highway 199, west of Fort Worth. Five miles west to Springtown. Fifteen miles southeast to Fort Worth.

Not everyone lives in cities.

by Sirenus on Thu Jun 23, 2011 at 07:50:51 AM PDT

•  Most of our SoCal cities (0+ / 0-)

have plenty of surface streets that can be driven quite safely (though not within the speed limit) at 60 or 65 mph. And freeways run through cities, too. Of course, downtown area and residential streets are not going to support safe driving at such speeds. So "in the city" is not a helpful distinction to make here.

Knowledge is a responsibility. Therefore, ignorance is not a right.

by rmoore on Thu Jun 23, 2011 at 09:15:35 AM PDT