View Diary: Keep my ride (and wallet) alive (97 comments)

•  I have no clue what you are asking . (0+ / 0-)
    If you're not a car person
    and you rely on someone to handle maintenance for you, this means absolutely zero to you.
    If the comment "means absolutely zero to you" , then my comment does no harm you are no better off for reading it , nor are you harmed .
    The mechanic could select a grade of oil not fit for your car, without your knowledge.
    And how is that related to my comment ?
    It might or might not damage your engine, depending on different factors.
    And therefore ?
    Isn't it better, for a general guideline (for the average person, not a mechanic), to use the oil type listed in the owner's manual?
    Some cars companies spec thin oil for their cars , this lets them have their cars tested while running thin oils , this gets them a small benefit by reducing oil drag and that ups their mpg figure . On the down side the motor can / will have a shortened life because the oil weight was picked for mpg ratings not max engine life .

"Drop the name-calling." Meteor Blades 2/4/11

by indycam on Thu Jun 23, 2011 at 08:12:12 AM PDT

•  I've done tons of research .... (1+ / 0-)
      xysea

....regarding oils in the past couple of years.

Lots of people are doing Used Oil Analyses on their oils to understand how their particular oil and change interval is affecting their engine.

Results are showing no accelerated wear by using the lower viscosity oils in their intended applications. In fact, due to the ability of the thinner oil to circulate through the engine more quickly in a cold engine that has been at rest (the moment when most engine wear typically occurs), engine wear is actually significantly reduce by using a thinner oil.

.......or die tryin'!!!

by suspiciousmind on Thu Jun 23, 2011 at 08:27:27 AM PDT

•  You are speaking to people who (0+ / 0-)

you think should know alot about cars and telling them not to use the recommended grade of oil.  How is that helpful?  I think you are being overly-technical about it, when the diary is merely meant to be a helpful guide for the average person, NOT mechanics.

http://www.bornagreen.blogspot.com - my website that details my efforts at living a green, minimalist and low waste lifestyle. :-)

by xysea on Thu Jun 23, 2011 at 08:58:11 AM PDT

•  You seem to be upset . (0+ / 0-)

If you think my mentioning that there is this concern about oil weight vs engine life for certain newer cars is a problem , so be it , no big deal .

You are speaking to people who

I did not tell anyone to use any weight of oil . I didn't even mention a weight of oil . Your statement is interesting .

I stand by my statement , what is recommended in the owners manual might not be the best for engine life .
        If you have a problem with that , no big deal .

"Drop the name-calling." Meteor Blades 2/4/11

by indycam on Thu Jun 23, 2011 at 09:20:54 AM PDT

•  People who question you must be upset? (0+ / 0-)

No one here is upset.  Just asking questions of a person who jumps into a diary and acts as if he (or she) is an authority on things.  Sorry you don't like that, and feel you have to attribute it to an overdose of emotion instead of genuine curiosity about your statements of supposed fact.

by xysea on Thu Jun 23, 2011 at 10:18:25 AM PDT

•  Typing in caps = yelling . (0+ / 0-)
            You have said that you don't know the subject ? I have been in this field for most of my life . I am a repair technician .

"Drop the name-calling." Meteor Blades 2/4/11

by indycam on Thu Jun 23, 2011 at 10:24:38 AM PDT

•  Good for you. (0+ / 0-)

So why the issue when I ask you to put it in terms a layperson can understand?  Why would a repair technician tell a layperson to randomly change the grade of oil in the car, if they have no idea how that might affect the engine?  That sound suspicious to me, but okay, if you say so.

One word typed in caps does not constitute yelling.  It constitutes emphasis.  All words in caps is yelling.  There is a distinction.

And again, you do come into this thinking you know better than everyone.  lol   That was my point.

And so, I'm done with this part of the diary and with you.  I have better things to do.  :-)

by xysea on Thu Jun 23, 2011 at 10:38:08 AM PDT

•  Eh ? (0+ / 0-)

I didn't tell anyone any such thing .
                I have no clue what car you havor what motor oil you are using , I did not tell you to change anything , I did not tell your tech to change anything .
                I can't help it if you read into my comment what was not there .

Now if you told me that you owned one of the cars that my comment is about and then told me what grade of oil you were using , I might give you the heads up about the oil weight issues . I would explain to you that the manual recommends a "lighter" oil than what you might want to run for max engine life .
                Sometimes when complex things are made , small problems pop up down the line . The factory didn't see the problem when the item was put out for sale , but after the item is out and being used for awhile a problem shows up . You would like to take corrective action if the problem is such that it can be .

For an obvious example , the ford pinto with the gas tank puncture problem . The engineers made up a car design , they let it out of the factory , it had a little problem with burning people to death .
                For another glaring example , the ford flipper .
                The engineers knew the thing was a bad design , the engineers wanted to fix the problems but management ordered it into production with the known flaws . The engineers wanted to increase the track a few inches but management wanted to get the thing onto the sales floor , management wanted to make money .

If you told me you owned and are driving the pinto or the flipper , I might mention that there are a few things you might like to look into .

"Drop the name-calling." Meteor Blades 2/4/11